MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   All About VVEL (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/179163-all-about-vvel.html)

Nissan Sport ed 03-29-2007 11:18 AM

All About VVEL

Just got in the information from Nissan. www.nissansportmag.com

Dave Bexfield
Managing Editor, Nissan Sport
www.nissansportmag.com

AboostedG 03-29-2007 11:23 AM

Nice read!!

LudwigB 03-29-2007 12:08 PM

Direct link:
http://www.nissansportmag.com/newsno...echnology.html

hai109 03-29-2007 12:29 PM

Very nice!! Thanks for the info...

whassupG 03-29-2007 01:39 PM

this part is interesting, "Under the Nissan Green Program 2010, Nissan has announced plans to develop gasoline-powered engines with CO2 emissions reduced to levels comparable with diesel engines, to be available globally by 2010. For multiple-cylinder, high-displacement engines, Nissan will combine VVEL technology with the direct-injection system." Pretty neat if it's introduced to the g37 soon.

finagle69 03-29-2007 03:04 PM

looks like HP and MPG bump in 2010 then.

phigmeta 03-29-2007 04:54 PM

A few question i have ... maybe someone can answer them here ;)

Questions are inline

* Higher fuel efficiency
At low-to-mid load ranges, the system controls air intake at the intake-valve, immediately before it enters the combustion chamber, in contrast with conventional engine air intake via a throttle valve, leading to increased efficiency by easing airflow through the cylinder.
In the low- and medium-rpm ranges*3, intake-valve lift is kept low to reduce camshaft friction and improve fuel efficiency.

Is this feature negated by a turbo installation I mean with a possitive pressure system would it really make any differnce

* Better response
Controlling air intake at the intake-valves improves acceleration response by allowing more dense air into the cylinders from the start of acceleration.

Here again your density charge is much higher that what would be accomplished via this system alone

* More power
In the low-rpm range, the intake-valves open for a shorter period, preventing blowback of the air-fuel mixture and improving torque.

Blowback would not happen in a turbo application right ?

In the high range, greater intake-valve lift allows increased air intake to deliver greater torque outputs.

A possitive charge system would not see gains from this right ?

* Cleaner emissions
Intake-valve timing is optimized on startup, when the engine is still cool, to quickly raise the temperature of exhaust gases and more quickly activate the catalytic converter.

I don't have a cat .... well I do but she stays home

Hydro-carbon emissions are reduced in the low-to-medium range by keeping intake-valve lift low, speeding intake flow and dispersing the fuel into a finer mist, resulting in more efficient full combustion.

I get more effecientcy by running slightly lean on idle and low range... Its somewhat a drawback of a turbo system and the UTEC you will get about 1 or 2 PSI over NA in when the UTEC is not fully engaged

the reason I ask is because I have an '06 Coupe and really don't love the new design ..... I was thinking about just sleeving a block, boring to 100 (giveing me about 4 liters) and moving my mods over to the new block (well ok my piston and head will of course need to be reworked... for obvious reasons) and using that instead .... besides then I can go for something a bit more ...... agressive

phigmeta 03-30-2007 11:37 PM

guess no one has any input then ..

ok moving on to then

Nissan Sport ed 04-01-2007 09:47 AM

In addition to a full breakdown of the new VQ37, we'll be addressing some of these Qs in an upcoming issue of Nissan Sport.

Dave Bexfield
Managing Editor, Nissan Sport
www.nissansportmag.com.

KAHBOOM 04-01-2007 08:10 PM

Very nice read

Thanks

vINCe_Inc 03-25-2008 11:25 PM

All About VVEL

What makes our new VQ engine so VQ ? read on !
its all about VVEL baby... not vtech nor mivech or ditech can compare (i think) :rolleyes:

hope this is not a repost.
www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCUMENT/PDF/IREVENT/PRESEN/2007/070713VVEL-e.pdf

http://rapidshare.com/files/102415071/VVEL.pdf.html

SnD 03-25-2008 11:46 PM

Interesting! Why that wasn't written by a native English speaker, I only wonder....

As for the actual technology, it looks like the valve is adjusted by a dc motor turning a screwed gear? How on earth is that fast enough to respond to a rapidly revving engine?

From the sound of that presentation, you'd think we'd be getting a 100HP+ gain over the previous engine.....

bboysteele 03-25-2008 11:51 PM

I remember reading that a long time ago. Good find.

DiamondGCoupe 03-25-2008 11:55 PM

What is going on with this pdf file!

Edit: I had some problems getting this file to DL and load etc. so i saved it a hosted it rapid share, put the link in OP. Interesting read...

http://rapidshare.com/files/102415071/VVEL.pdf.html

bboysteele 03-26-2008 12:08 AM

Ya, I had to refresh my page to download it.

SPOHN 03-26-2008 03:55 PM

Man, you beat me to it. I wanted to post this last weekend and didn't get around to it. Great info. It's crazy how now the valves now control all air intake. Like a throttle body would. Even though it still uses the throttle body for other small functions. This is my understanding of it. I also read that in the next couple years there going to combine this with direct fuel injection. Nice.

vINCe_Inc 03-26-2008 04:13 PM

someone soup-up that dc motor pls !
where's krazy J, tell him he can get crazy hp gains if he swaps out the dc motor with something bigger.
i dont really get direct fuel injection ... still.

cvt 03-26-2008 04:17 PM

i don't understand...my dealer told me the way VVEL works was that nissan implemented rabid hampsters on treadmills up on the cam area to help us power to 330hp.

my question is...there are no mention of the hampsters??

DiamondGCoupe 03-26-2008 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by cvt (Post 2297653)
i don't understand...my dealer told me the way VVEL works was that nissan implemented rabid hampsters on treadmills up on the cam area to help us power to 330hp.

They're on strike.

cvt 03-26-2008 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe (Post 2297655)
They're on strike.

no wonder my V-TEC wasn't kickin'...

IcebergG 03-26-2008 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by cvt (Post 2297653)

LMFAO! You guys are too funny :icon17:

vINCe_Inc 03-26-2008 11:19 PM

so is vvel comparable to mivec ?

3des 03-26-2008 11:21 PM

I wonder what would happen if that dc motor were to fail...!?

OPen Class 03-26-2008 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by SnD (Post 2297250)
Interesting! Why that wasn't written by a native English speaker, I only wonder....

As for the actual technology, it looks like the valve is adjusted by a dc motor turning a screwed gear? How on earth is that fast enough to respond to a rapidly revving engine?

From the sound of that presentation, you'd think we'd be getting a 100HP+ gain over the previous engine.....

Well, BMW had to twin turbo to get 300 hp out of their 6 cyl. We get 330 without the added risk/heat/$$ associated with twin turbos.

Not bad numbers IMO.

TerribleONE453 03-27-2008 02:45 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n_R_w3AB288&feature=related

watch the end guys... V-TECH!

cvt 03-27-2008 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by TerribleONE453 (Post 2298088)

OMG it sounds just like that...was was neat..LOL :bowrofl:

override00 03-27-2008 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by OPen Class (Post 2297992)
Well, BMW had to twin turbo to get 300 hp out of their 6 cyl. We get 330 without the added risk/heat/$$ associated with twin turbos.

Not bad numbers IMO.

until 2006 BMW had a 3.2 I6 making 333 bhp .... they didn't have to go turbo, they chose to.

cvt 03-27-2008 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by override00 (Post 2298148)
until 2006 BMW had a 3.2 I6 making 333 bhp .... they didn't have to go turbo, they chose to.

they chose to and they HAD to.

that 3.2 making 333hp was in a car that sold for $50-$55K. if they want a sub-M car starting at $42K making todays standards of 300hp they needed to either bump the displacement or go FI. they chose the easiest route...platform share from a 328i and turbo...which let to amazing results.

override00 03-27-2008 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by cvt (Post 2298169)
they chose to and they HAD to.

that 3.2 making 333hp was in a car that sold for $50-$55K. if they want a sub-M car starting at $42K making todays standards of 300hp they needed to either bump the displacement or go FI. they chose the easiest route...platform share from a 328i and turbo...which let to amazing results.

Dude... You just agreed with me they didn't HAVE to go turbo, they could have just gone up in displacement. ... lol

cvt 03-27-2008 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by override00 (Post 2298190)
Dude... You just agreed with me they didn't HAVE to go turbo, they could have just gone up in displacement. ... lol

i DO agree with you...i never mentioned i didn't...:dunno:

cartman13 03-27-2008 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by OPen Class (Post 2297992)

Not bad numbers IMO.

I read an article saying the G37 actually gets 3mpg worse than BMW. While I love the G37 engine, i don't see how efficiency was part of the equation.

Anytime you are running 3mpg less than a twin turbo engine... it's hard to say efficiency was high up in there in priority....

DanMardik 09-06-2008 04:17 AM

PDF on VVEL technology

Might be a little confusing on the technical side, but a good read none the less.

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCU...0713VVEL-e.pdf

DanMardik 09-06-2008 04:19 AM

ok, i just noticed this may be a repost. Consider this a refresh, or a good read for those who haven't seen this quite yet.

hgunner 09-06-2008 04:27 PM

Wow, Way more complex in operation than VTEC. Looking at the PDF it shows a Link (either a belt or a chain?) inside the VVEL from the input to control shaft? Is that for each intake valve? Wonder what the link is made of (no information in the service manual)?

Service manual says if any part of the VVEL Ladder assembly (most of the mechnanical parts to the VVEL and actuators/links ) is out of adjustment the VVEL ladder and complete Head needs to be replaced as one unit (that would be expensive piece!) . Hope it is a reliable design...

Anybody have any more information this?

vINCe_Inc 09-06-2008 06:31 PM

repost indeed. but its a good read and very interesting.

G37Sam 04-21-2010 02:11 AM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lY9L8hoVPRU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lY9L8hoVPRU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

G37Sam 04-21-2010 02:12 AM

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...VVT_VVEL_1.jpg

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...VVT_VVEL_2.jpg

Low Lift:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...EL_lowlift.gif

High Lift:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...L_highlift.gif

kingdavid 02-07-2012 06:08 PM

The reason BMW went TT is because it was a more cost effective way to get reliable +300hp than creating more of the older M engines. Keep in mind technology had advanced in the time between the 335i and the old M. Additionally the 335i's power-core was put together in a hurry, hence all the issues it had (check bimmer forums around when the 335i came out) and heres why

BMW got wind that Lexus was coming out with a 300+ hp entry level luxury sedan, something BMW, or any other luxury brand (Mercedes excluded) for that matter, has never had (to my knowledge) What they didnt know is wether that measurement was at the wheels or the crank and how much over 300 horses the vehicle would actually be.
At the time BMW only had the 330i Which had 258hp. Being the "ultimate driving machine" BMW couldn't have a JDM car on the market that had more HP than theirs so what do they do? THROW TWO TURBOS ON THERE!
Now, the N54(335i/xi) is completely different than the N52 (330i/xi other models) but it's diferent in the ays that make it easier to produce quickly and efficiently ( Aluminum block instead of magnesium, almost exact same fastening points for accessories as the n52 etc.) and while the designes ARE different they are also very similar.

Because bmw had no idea how much over 300hp the 2gr-fse (is350 engine) would have, they built the engine and FI setup to allow for a hp boost allowing them to uprgrade the model with nothing more than a retune to balance out their competitor. Just bring your car in and BAM more hp, they even offer that now for an inflated price.

So to answer the question as to wether BMW HAD to go FI to get 300+ hp...no. But they had to design a whole engine just to compete with JDM. But for that, the 335i will be competitive against newer JDM models for a while save for maybe the new infiniti that's putting down 360 AND is a hybrid which adds something else to the table.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

RadioFlyer 11-28-2014 01:18 PM

I know this is an old thread, but maybe now that you guys have had some time with this engine, do you know more about what that "Ball screw shaft" does? It's a static setting, so would it be the same thing as degreeing a cam? As in, if you set that screw say, +5* advanced, then the whole sweep of valve timing will be whatever is mapped in the ECU table, PLUS 5*?

Herostar 03-17-2015 04:33 PM

Does anyone have an updated link?