Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37's adaptive cruise reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:55 AM
xclratn
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a V1 and it alerts often on Laser. The ICC sensor on the front of the vehilce uses the reflected light from the car in front to determine distance. If the car in front has higher than normal rear reflectors, it will trigger the V1.

I also get reflections from road signs, depending on road types....hill, curve, etc.

BTW, even with ICC off, there is still infrared (laser) light coming from the sensor, the car uses it for preview braking.

Robert
Old 01-20-2008, 01:56 AM
tampa pb

i drove a G35S with the tech package for a while. i did enjoy the novelty of this, however i would never use it with daily use. the only time i think this would be very good is if i am already in a condition where i should not be driving: example would be if i am drunk or too tired to stay awake. this way, the car will ensure that i dont hit anyone from the rear. the sudden acceleration and deceleration will be enough to alert anyone.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:33 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tampa pb
i drove a G35S with the tech package for a while. i did enjoy the novelty of this, however i would never use it with daily use. the only time i think this would be very good is if i am already in a condition where i should not be driving: example would be if i am drunk or too tired to stay awake. this way, the car will ensure that i dont hit anyone from the rear. the sudden acceleration and deceleration will be enough to alert anyone.
If u are already in a condition where u shouldnt be driving - then u shouldnt drive. If you are drunk or tired to stay up - u could kill yourself or innocent others. Tech package ain't gonna save you from being stupid and driving drunk man that's not cool at all.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:10 AM
tampa pb

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
If u are already in a condition where u shouldnt be driving - then u shouldnt drive. If you are drunk or tired to stay up - u could kill yourself or innocent others. Tech package ain't gonna save you from being stupid and driving drunk man that's not cool at all.
that was kind of my point. the tech package is fairly useless. a nice novelty, but that is it.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:39 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How can a feature like auto distance ajustment for cruise control be useless..lol. A requirement, No, but definately not useless. Many of us have cruised hundreds of miles and never needed to reset cruise control once... that's luxury! It's also a safety feature, I rarely use to cruise at the distance I now do from cars ahead, it's real easy to let the gap close.... not so with robocar. This has already saved my tail once when a driver slammed on his breaks ahead of me... I stopped in plenty of time, the cars behind me had to vere off to the left because they were following too close. I'm grateful the guy behind me had the presence of mind to do that or I'd be in the market for a new G...he ended up stoping a car length ahead of me... just had to shake my head.

Airbags and seatbelts are nice, but they are reactive, ICC is proactive, it's better to not have the collision in the first place. Only thing better would be for the guy behind me to have it too.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:57 PM
tampa pb

I'm going to have to disagree. The distances that the auto feature has arwe VERY far back from the other cars. If you can't figure out on your own how to see if a car is in front of you, you need to be off the roads. This wastes tons of gas, so it costs more for a feature that will cost you even more to use, and promotes lack of road awareness.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:29 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So your argument is it trails too far behind cars and wastes gas. I find the closest setting to be about as close as I'd want to drive at highway speeds, I use the second setting though hoping to keep out of rock spew distance. It's not that I can't see the cars ahead..lol... it's that I dont have to WORK to keep the distance.. the car does it for me.. that's a luxury and it's worth every penny. That's less fatigue for me and a safer driver on the road because of it.

As far as wasting gas.. it's not been my experience, rather the opposite. The car makes mild adjustments, if anything when a gap opens up I would actually accelerate faster however I let the car do to SAVE gas. When cruising it maintains equadistance as I would do.. first backing off the throttle, then applying breaks if needed, but normally it's just backing off throttle or mildly applying more if needed... If anything the car can do mild acceleration better then I can, the G's pedal is kind of stiff, not to easy to do a 5 RPM increase. I often find myself lanching from a stop as well, it don't take much pedal to wake this girl up.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
So your argument is it trails too far behind cars and wastes gas. I find the closest setting to be about as close as I'd want to drive at highway speeds, I use the second setting though hoping to keep out of rock spew distance. It's not that I can't see the cars ahead..lol... it's that I dont have to WORK to keep the distance.. the car does it for me.. that's a luxury and it's worth every penny. That's less fatigue for me and a safer driver on the road because of it.

As far as wasting gas.. it's not been my experience, rather the opposite. The car makes mild adjustments, if anything when a gap opens up I would actually accelerate faster however I let the car do to SAVE gas. When cruising it maintains equadistance as I would do.. first backing off the throttle, then applying breaks if needed, but normally it's just backing off throttle or mildly applying more if needed... If anything the car can do mild acceleration better then I can, the G's pedal is kind of stiff, not to easy to do a 5 RPM increase. I often find myself lanching from a stop as well, it don't take much pedal to wake this girl up.
You're correct on both counts - if you are ever following a car closer than the closest ICC setting at highway speeds, you are far too close. Even when paying attention, the ICC can initiate braking in an emergency stop faster than even the quickest human driver's reactions. I've been cut off and saw it coming while using it; the ICC braked faster than I could hit the brakes and that's a good thing.

I don't know where anyone who has ever used the ICC on a road trip could get the idea that it wastes gas. I drove over 400 miles on a trip using it all the way on a single tank of gas and still wasn't empty. I averaged 24.6 MPG with the cruise set at 77 MPH only slowing for the 4 or 5 small towns with lower speed limits.

If others don't like it or find it useless or gimmicky, so be it but It's the best $1150 I've ever spent on an option on a car. I suppose for people who can't or don't use cruise control it's not very helpful. I use it almost every day.