ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Review EcuTek OrangeVirus Tuned 2009 G37 Sedan 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 11:47 PM
Slatey
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
EcuTek OrangeVirus Tuned 2009 G37 Sedan 7AT

This review is for a 2009 G37 Sedan with the 7 speed automatic transmission.
The car has 100k miles so this may be useful for high mileage vehicles.

The goal of tuning was to make the car feel more alive and gain midrange power for drivablity.

Mods:
Takeda Attack Long Tube intake
Beluga Racing resonated test pipes (2.5")
Agency Power resonated Y-pipe (Dual 2.5" to 3" Collector)
Custom mid pipe with dual Vibrant resonators (3" to dual 2.5")
GReddy Supreme SP Mufflers (2.5")

Tune provider:
OrangeVirus Tuning

About OrangeVirus Tuning
OrangeVirus Tuning is a company based out of San Diego, California that does tuning for the Japanese manufacturers. I heard about OrangeVirus Tuning through the Mazda6 Forums and their presence there. I was in the middle of tuning my Mazda before it got totaled in a flood, so I never really got to to see the product, but I enjoyed the customer service so I returned once I bought my G.

Tuning process
First off, I did a remote street tune which involves sending a base file, data logging, etc. Because of this, there were some obstacles.

The first issue was that my ECU was initially unsupported by EcuTek. This isn't a big deal, all that needs to happen is you create a dump file with the ProECU Software and have your tuner send it to EcuTek to create a beta file to flash and begin tuning. And so began the second issue.

To the fault of no one but EcuTek, the file that was sent appeared to me to be for a manual transmission, but according to EcuTek was and "engine load calculation issue". This took over a month for them to figure out because OVT had to play middle man and OVT had to wait for responses from EcuTek to send to me yada yada yada... UUUGGH, but I digress. My tuner at OVT was very straight forward with any questions and concerns I had during this process.

BUT once EcuTek got themselves together and got me a working file things were finally up to speed. Turn around time for files have been pretty consistently 1-2 business days.

Tuned
Opinions Time! All I can say is holy !@#$! This car really wakes up with a tune!

Before there was hesitation with throttle and shifting. If you really wanted to move somewhere you'd need a lower gear and this meant waiting for the car to decide.

As for the shifts, they are crisp and it seems like the car really knows what gear it is going to need for a given load.

And for the engine, the throttle response is instant and now I have mid range I feel was just never there. Passing on the highway is effortless, it doesn't even need to downshift most times. Unless I really want to pass someone.

I don'n have exact numbers but the car is definitely making more power. Before the tune with just mods I ran a 1/4 mile, 13.4s @ 104mph. After I ran a 12.9s @ 106mph.

tl;dr
OrangeVirus Tuning is a great option for remote tuning if you want something different from what is already known.

As for EcuTek tunes. Do this. It completely changes how the car feels and makes more power.

Last edited by Slatey; 04-23-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:21 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
That quarter is amazing for those mods! To clarify, the only difference in your 13.4 and the 12.9 was the tune?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Slatey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jfisher
That quarter is amazing for those mods! To clarify, the only difference in your 13.4 and the 12.9 was the tune?
Yes! I was running extremely lean, especially up above ~5000RPM before the tune.

Between proper AFR and quicker shifts, it was much better.

It was also a relatively cool day, around 70F. My best run, the 13.4, was last year early September and it was pretty warm. That probably helped.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:29 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Dang man, that's a really good 1/4 mile. How pumped were you?
Old 04-25-2017, 03:43 PM
Slatey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Dang man, that's a really good 1/4 mile. How pumped were you?
Mega pumped. I had to make sure I was in the right car lol. I know under 13 isn't super uncommon for 7AT G's but I was stoked.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:49 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Does the trans shift harder or just faster after the tune?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:50 AM
Slatey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Does the trans shift harder or just faster after the tune?
Well, when I was explaining what I am looking for in this tune, I told him I wanted fast, smooth shifts because 2 of my work days start over by overlapping with rush hour. I was tired of the trans jerking me hunting for gears and picking the wrong one etc.

The shifts definitely keep you pushed to your seat, but doesn't snap you every time. Downshifts however blip harder, especially in sport mode.

It can definitely be done though. My first file would snap you back, but I felt it was inaccurate. Likely because that was his starting point for a G or something.

Last edited by Slatey; 04-26-2017 at 04:20 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2017, 08:55 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Kinda find it funny that I commented on your exhaust vid and this one and realized you're coming form the Mazda community as well. Former 3 owner myself .

Out of curiosity....why leave Mazda? Did it have anything to do with them going Toyota on us (absolutely no performance line).
Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Kinda find it funny that I commented on your exhaust vid and this one and realized you're coming form the Mazda community as well. Former 3 owner myself .

Out of curiosity....why leave Mazda? Did it have anything to do with them going Toyota on us (absolutely no performance line).
toyota Supra ....
Old 04-27-2017, 11:07 PM
Slatey
Registered Member

I loved my Mazda6s because it had decent power and looked good, had nice options, etc. But basically yeah, there is nothing with power now.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:27 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SkyG37
toyota Supra ....
Shoot, I would've left for anything putting out 150 HP...The 3 was good looking, comfortable, cheap to maintain, easy to work on but good lord was it painfully slow.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:16 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
I came from a mazdaspeed3. OVT was NOT a reputable tuner there. They actually messed up quite a few speeds. Glad they did you right however
Old 05-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Slatey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
I came from a mazdaspeed3. OVT was NOT a reputable tuner there. They actually messed up quite a few speeds. Glad they did you right however
Oh wow, really? I did not know that. OVT was pretty well liked on the mazda6 forums. I think they separated from whoever they were with prior because they moved to San Diego last year and made a bunch of changes to the website.

Last edited by Slatey; 05-06-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I am in process getting custom ecutek tune done via OV, also setting up pre tune dyno run and after. Will let you guys know the results.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Small update, finished tuning my car using EcuTek with help from guys at OrangeVirus. All data logging was done from driving on street and not dyno. Car pulls pretty good from low RPM range.

Puts you into seat once your RPM hits 5k+ I've yet to dyno, so far my tight work schedule and tight appointment windows at local dyno jet shop wont let me.
Once I do I will post results.

My tune is based on got 93 octane pump gas, I didnt want any additional maps.

Whats nice is I can stay on same gear without downshifting and the car pulls very good.
Once it downshifts it goes bat **** crazy

Wanted to thank OV for a great tune if they ever read this post.