ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Highway robbery for Dyno Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:34 AM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Highway robbery for Dyno Tune?

I have a g37x so it's been hard for me to find a shop that has an awd dyno in the area. I found a place in Baltimore but they quoted me $800 which seems excessive. What have others paid for Dyno Tune?

Can anyone recommend a place in the DMV (maryland, dc, virginia) area that does awd dyno tuning?
Old 07-04-2015, 09:48 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I ran into the same issue here in Memphis. I wound up going with an EcuTek etune with John Visconti, no complaints so far. But the pricing with a customized tune is about the same.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:40 AM
efp11

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
I have a g37x so it's been hard for me to find a shop that has an awd dyno in the area. I found a place in Baltimore but they quoted me $800 which seems excessive. What have others paid for Dyno Tune?

Can anyone recommend a place in the DMV (maryland, dc, virginia) area that does awd dyno tuning?
I recently had Agile Automotive in Fallston install my Swift springs and give me an alignment a week later, their prices were reasonable. They mostly work on Suburus so I'd assume they have an awd dyno. They were really friendly and do really good work.
The following users liked this post:
RavensMinded00 (07-05-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 04:18 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RavensMinded00

Are you dead set on a dyno tune? Especially with an AWD you can get comparable results from remote tuning.. needing an AWD dyno really limits your selection of tuners, and just because someone has a dyno doesn't mean they're a good tuner.

$550 shipped gets you the Osiris standard package with complete tuning remotely (based on datalogs you record while driving)-- and you get the reflash cable so you can always reflash updates if you need to, perform misc OBD2 diagnostics, or even reflash back to stock and sell it used if you need to. PM me.
ANMVQ (07-05-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 11:38 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Street tune > dyno tune
Old 07-05-2015, 09:05 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
Street tune > dyno tune

Agreed, Street is the best way, "Real" world driving
Old 07-15-2015, 07:02 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Figured Id see if I can get some feedback without starting a new thread, and this is seems to be a fitting thread, so let me ask a serious question here to the experienced members that have had tunes before... I just recently had my first tune done and I wasn't exactly disappointed but not blown away either, after getting home 7 hours later I wanted to get more information about my tune from the tuner just to understand everything that goes into the process what changed beyond the basic hp/tq dynograph I was given, Im inherently curious and like to know ins/outs of everything lol ... so I've been going back and forth with him regarding what was done however answers were sorta vague so I just came out and asked if I could see datalogs from before and after the tune. I haven't heard back from him since and he was pretty responsive before that question. I don't think I was rude but wondering if in my naivety I went someplace I shouldn't have... any ideas? Is this info a tuner would have readily accessible from a tune you had 2 days ago and typically be willing to share? Or is that a no no to ask for that info? I could post a text copy of the convo with identifying info removed if that helps. Just not understanding whats up, maybe he got busy, I don't know? This is all new territory for me. Also don't want to be a sucker and get ripped off. Dyno graph below. Uprev tune I wanted ecutek my rom wasn't cracked
Attached Thumbnails Highway robbery for Dyno Tune?-20150713_233903_20150714000459397.jpg  
Old 07-15-2015, 09:38 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I have all my datalogs from my tune. I spoke with John and he suggested I replace my plugs based on what I sent him so I'm going to do that then relog so the tune can be completed.

I don't think it was a rude question personally
jroyalty7 (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 10:12 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I have all my datalogs from my tune. I spoke with John and he suggested I replace my plugs based on what I sent him so I'm going to do that then relog so the tune can be completed.

I don't think it was a rude question personally
Thanks for your thoughts man, it makes sense with John cause your doing the e-tune so you gather the logs and send them to him so you get to see them even before he does lol. I'm just kind of wondering why it seems like he doesn't want to give me the info, if I'm being honest, and this is just me being somewhat cynical, I'm kind of starting to wonder if I wasn't just given a canned up rev tune with not much effort put into really tweaking to see what hr could get out of her. I know he had it on the dyno, I could hear that FI exhaust lol and I took video, but that was not until the end and everything was done. Just don't know if I'm being out of line so to say... I don't even know what my afr was when I came in and what is now... tunes aren't cheap just want to make sure I got my money's worth especially with how far I went to get tuned there based on their reputation. At this point it's been 10 hours since I last heard from him which we were going back and forth every hour or so for the last 2 days. I'll have to resend the email tomorrow and see what happens....
Old 07-16-2015, 11:02 AM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

Bump... no one can shed any light on this situation for a tuning noob lol. Is it wrong to ask your tuner after a dyno tune for datalogs and #'s outside of HP and TQ? Should they not keep a log of your tune in case you come back for a retune or have issues with your tune?
Old 07-16-2015, 11:25 AM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Buy your own Osiris license, you can resell it later. If you go with license from tuner, it's like throwing $300 in garbage, you will not get them back.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:10 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jroyalty7
Bump... no one can shed any light on this situation for a tuning noob lol. Is it wrong to ask your tuner after a dyno tune for datalogs and #'s outside of HP and TQ? Should they not keep a log of your tune in case you come back for a retune or have issues with your tune?
Most tuners don't save datalogs when dyno tuning, and I don't know of any that would give you copies of the datalogs even if they did. Remote tuning is different since your whole tune is based on datalogs.. dyno tuning not so much
jroyalty7 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 02:19 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

Cool thank you for that info, so really there is no way for me to reference, for instance, what my afr was pretune compared to post tune? And then I guess I don't understand why he wouldn't just say that lol...
Old 07-16-2015, 03:42 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I think it depends on the tuner. I've never had a car tuned but both bikes have been. I brought a usb stick with and got the data dumps for all runs both times. No questions were asked, he even told me where to go on dynojet's site to get the software to view it with.

Ymmv.
jroyalty7 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 03:47 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jroyalty7
Cool thank you for that info, so really there is no way for me to reference, for instance, what my afr was pretune compared to post tune?
Unless he recorded it or did a base line pull before the tune its impossible to know. With Uprev you have 5 maps; if he left one of the maps stock you could always go to another dyno and do back to back pulls in both the tuned map and stock map and see how they compare
jroyalty7 (07-16-2015)

Quick Reply: Highway robbery for Dyno Tune?