Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Bell Raceworks rear differential brace

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 05:18 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
I'm hurt that you didn't let me know about the group-buy John...

Last edited by ShuuraRG; 02-13-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by ShuuraRG
I'm hurt that you didn't let me know about the group-buy John...
You're absolutely right, Roger, I should have thought of you for this project. Sorry, bud.

However, now you know about the brace, and you've got the rest of Winter to troll here for info. And if you decide to get one, it's a relatively inexpensive DIY mod. For most, at least... I'm swinging back to DIY after thinking about it for a few days.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:59 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
There is another vendor's group buy going on for a similar product.
The following users liked this post:
ShuuraRG (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 AM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You're absolutely right, Roger, I should have thought of you for this project. Sorry, bud.

However, now you know about the brace, and you've got the rest of Winter to troll here for info. And if you decide to get one, it's a relatively inexpensive DIY mod. For most, at least... I'm swinging back to DIY after thinking about it for a few days.
Just giving you grief John! I've got other responsibilities claiming my income for the next 5 years anyway!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:08 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Installed on '13 x Sedan

Rear Suspension Ecosystem:
  • Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers with Swift springs (Spring-bucket configuration retained...so not really a true c/o in the rear)
  • Hotchkis Sway
  • SPC Camber Kit - Just the two bolts
  • SPL Camber Arms
  • Z1 Sub-Frame Bushing Inserts
  • OEM Differential Cover
Ease of Installation:
  • 2 out of 5. I find changing the cabin air-filter more challenging... which is embarrassing, but I absolutely hate changing those things for some reason.
  • Took about an hour.
Special Tools:
  • Offset Box Wrench - For reaching the two subframe fasteners.
  • Torque Wrench
  • Ramps
Performance:
  • Quicker, more precise hook-up when spiritedly accelerating through a corner
  • Less rear-end shimmy on launch
All-in-all:

An incremental improvement. Nothing earth shattering. Perhaps due to the AWD as well as the auto trans. As noted in an above post; the A/T is always engaged so the diff is under load at all times. I had very little wheel hop prior to the mod. It was, however, a fun, relatively inexpensive DIY, hobby activity.

The following 5 users liked this post by VIVID:
jpowersjr2 (02-17-2019), ngolbuff (02-19-2019), Rochester (02-17-2019), ShuuraRG (04-26-2019), slartibartfast (02-17-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:16 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Do you feel any difference when you're coming off power? The auto trans stays locked when you're engine braking or downshifting, so are those any more solid? I noticed the most difference there when I installed the diff bushing and subframe collars, so maybe there's some merit in that application.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:00 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by bPChaos
Do you feel any difference when you're coming off power? The auto trans stays locked when you're engine braking or downshifting, so are those any more solid? I noticed the most difference there when I installed the diff bushing and subframe collars, so maybe there's some merit in that application.
Yes. Actually I did. Thanks for reminding me. The down-shifts are definitely more crisp. None of the squirm that had been present.

It wasn’t a benefit I had considered, but there it was nonetheless.
bPChaos (02-19-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Installed the brace today, and reviewed it over in my progress thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post4239404

Fantastic first impressions, relatively easy install as a DIY.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
jpowersjr2 (04-18-2019), ShuuraRG (04-26-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

My best way to describe this thing... there's normally a "bounce" in the lower gears, noticeable when slowing down to a roll while still in gear, or to some extent when shifting up or down. It's always just been something that is what it is, and I never really questioned it. But now, with this brace, that "bounce" is significantly reduced, like an 80% improvement (FWIW nonsense numbers, LOL). Along with that, shifting is much smoother, both up and down.

It really refines the overall driving experience, you could almost say it reduces the H in NVH. It's like you got rid of something you didn't know you wanted to get rid of until you got rid of it. Know what I mean?
PNW_IPL (12-06-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 12:43 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
My best way to describe this thing... there's normally a "bounce" in the lower gears, noticeable when slowing down to a roll while still in gear, or to some extent when shifting up or down. It's always just been something that is what it is, and I never really questioned it. But now, with this brace, that "bounce" is significantly reduced, like an 80% improvement (FWIW nonsense numbers, LOL). Along with that, shifting is much smoother, both up and down.

It really refines the overall driving experience, you could almost say it reduces the H in NVH. It's like you got rid of something you didn't know you wanted to get rid of until you got rid of it. Know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean.... Your description is spot on with my experience. It's the new normal
Old 04-21-2019, 12:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

A few more days of driving around with this diff brace installed, and I am a believer. The 7AT crowd seems unimpressed, but as a 6MT owner I'm loving what this brace does.

So... assuming nothing goes wrong because of the brace, I'm calling this thing as the best bang for your buck mod available. If I could click the like button for the OP more than once, I would.
The following 5 users liked this post by Rochester:
4DRZ (04-29-2019), jpowersjr2 (04-21-2019), Krzysztof47 (05-04-2021), PNW_IPL (12-06-2019), ShuuraRG (04-26-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
I also installed my diff brace this past weekend. I used a closed wrench to hold the nut in place as I used my other hand to thread the bolt with the brace together loosely.

In terms of feel, its been 2 months since I've driving my car and I don't remember if how the car felt before the brace. In my head, the car feel for solid, and transitions better when I aggressive hit the throttle. I've never really had any wheel hop problems before, but at least I know I'll be covered of that issue in the future with this brace.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
A few more days of driving around with this diff brace installed, and I am a believer. The 7AT crowd seems unimpressed, but as a 6MT owner I'm loving what this brace does.

So... assuming nothing goes wrong because of the brace, I'm calling this thing as the best bang for your buck mod available. If I could click the like button for the OP more than once, I would.
Well, that is awful nice of you and I agree with it being a great bang for the buck part. I tried a few burnouts to see if it helped with that issue. I think it helps slightly, but it is still an issue. It is probably a result of my tires being too sticky and my suspension being too tight. Oh well, I never do burnouts on purpose anyway.

I did another track day at Road America yesterday and really noticed that it was a lot easier to put the power to the ground and when I lost traction the slides were so controllable that it was laughable. I think this is mainly due to this differential brace and the motor mounts. The shifting was also very precise. So much so that I actually missed a few downshifts into 3rd gear as I was anticipating the usual bit of slop in the drive line.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It's quickly becoming the new normal, for sure. I was thinking about it again today while driving around, realizing how fuzzy my perception of change is becoming.

And I'm 10 days away from an appointment to get the motor mounts installed. While that was always in my sights over the years, is was your review that put me over the top.

So strange about your wheel hop issues. I thought for sure this would resolve it.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
It's quickly becoming the new normal, for sure. I was thinking about it again today while driving around, realizing how fuzzy my perception of change is becoming.

And I'm 10 days away from an appointment to get the motor mounts installed. While that was always in my sights over the years, is was your review that put me over the top.

So strange about your wheel hop issues. I thought for sure this would resolve it.
I was really fond of the motor mounts, but I did them in reverse order compared to you with the differential brace. I think the differential brace made a bigger difference which makes it a better buy (especially when labor is considered).

I am not concerned at all about the wheel hop because I never do burnouts. They are just too harsh for the clutch/drive line with the other mods I have in my opinion. Oddly enough, if I am already moving at a decent clip and tromp the throttle to break the wheels loose there is no wheel hop.

Quick Reply: Review Bell Raceworks rear differential brace