Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Z1 subframe bushing and diff bushing plus whiteline comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 07:05 AM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Z1 subframe bushing and diff bushing plus whiteline comparison

About 2 weeks ago I installed the Z1 subframe bushings. These were not terribly difficult to install however Z1 instructions are not very good. Just as a reference point, they show 1 insert going into the bottom of both rear bushings and 1 in the top of the passenger front, mind you the kit ships with a total of 6 inserts...what do you do with the others??? Well after looking at it a realized that the 2 front bushings get an insert on the top and the two rear bushings get an insert on the top and bottom. Some advice, the subframe is fairly easy to drop, an impact gun would be useful here to lower it, start with the front bushings as Z1 suggests. I did the rear first and it caused me to have to drop the rear again to do the front due to less leverage once the rear bushing inserts were installed. You also will benefit from some type of bushing friendly lubricant to ease install. Get yourself a rather heavy rubber mallet too.

So these were a pretty decent upgrade. They helped some with wheel hop and I didn't notice any change in nvh at all. This was with the stock diff bushings still. I can still cause wheel hop at this time however it was slightly improved. I'd say I'm a happy buyer and would suggest these to anyone with the extra cash. Diff bushing would be my first mod however over these.
these.

Diff bushing review will come in next post...
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 07:05 AM
4doorfury

The subframe bushings from Z1 were much easier to install in comparison to the whiteline. With whiteline you have to press the bushing in. With Z1, a little grease and a few whacks from my hammer knocked it right in place. I won't be going over the entire install process as that's been beaten to death already.

Impressions, good fitment, easier install than whiteline, still next to no added nvh.

Overall impressions...

​​​​​​Very good combo for the money. My car is a 7AT and the shifts feel much more solid. Wheel hop can still be an issue if I push her hard. I had whiteline bushings in my previous car by themselves and I'd say the Z1 setup with inserts is superior. Just wish Z1 would improve on their install directions for the inserts (collars).

Last edited by 4doorfury; 02-28-2019 at 08:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lee Nguyen (07-04-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 03:16 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Word has it that a diff brace quells wheel hop.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:27 PM
4doorfury

Been looking at them but wanted to hold off until I had these mods done and got some seat/track time
Old 03-25-2019, 06:41 PM
4doorfury

Wanted to update this...

So overall I think for light track duty and street duty these are a waste. I want to suggest spending the money on the differential brace but I haven't used it myself to give it full backing. That may be a future mod and if I do so I will update this thread or perhaps start a new one.

Let me be clear here, there is nothing wrong with this mod. They are quality pieces and work fine. I just don't want anyone expecting these to fix wheel hop issues because it does not. I was at a decently prepped track the other day and if launching anything near 2krpm or higher (7 speed auto) I would experience wheel hop. Next mod I think will be larger tires.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:42 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 4doorfury
Wanted to update this...

So overall I think for light track duty and street duty these are a waste. I want to suggest spending the money on the differential brace but I haven't used it myself to give it full backing. That may be a future mod and if I do so I will update this thread or perhaps start a new one.

Let me be clear here, there is nothing wrong with this mod. They are quality pieces and work fine. I just don't want anyone expecting these to fix wheel hop issues because it does not. I was at a decently prepped track the other day and if launching anything near 2krpm or higher (7 speed auto) I would experience wheel hop. Next mod I think will be larger tires.
Your car is a newer one - with what I assume not too many miles? I think I mentioned this earlier, but these will have a greater impact on cars that are older, with failed/failing bushings. I did the bushings and subframe inserts at 100k miles sometime last year, and have now put on an additional 30k miles. I could notice a difference almost immediately, and there's been several track days in between. With that said, I haven't felt an appreciable increase in slop compared to the regular rubber/fluid filled bushings.

No, it's not going to be a solid rear bushing, but as an OEM replacement with a slight increase in control, I think they're fine (and worth the price if you already have to be in there.)
Old 03-28-2019, 07:55 AM
4doorfury

For reference
2014 q60s 7at with 60k miles
Old 04-12-2019, 09:50 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Wanted to update this...

How are you launching at 2k rpm or higher with a 7 speed auto?
Old 04-12-2019, 10:13 AM
4doorfury

The OEM torque converter is set to engage at around 2k rpm. You also have to have a tune or the brake switch mod in order to apply brake and gas at the same time. If you apply the gas very slowly you can raise the ram without engaging the transmission
Old 07-04-2019, 01:21 AM
Lee Nguyen
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The subframe bushings from Z1 were much easier to install in comparison to the whiteline. With whiteline you have to press the bushing in. With Z1, a little grease and a few whacks from my hammer knocked it right in place. I won't be going over the entire install process as that's been beaten to death already.

Impressions, good fitment, easier install than whiteline, still next to no added nvh.

Overall impressions...

​​​​​​Very good combo for the money. My car is a 7AT and the shifts feel much more solid. Wheel hop can still be an issue if I push her hard. I had whiteline bushings in my previous car by themselves and I'd say the Z1 setup with inserts is superior. Just wish Z1 would improve on their install directions for the inserts (collars).
Did you get a Z1 Solid or the Z1 Urethane? My bushing went bad, and I need to buy one to replace now. Thank you.