Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Z1 rear differential and subframe bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 02:22 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Z1 has a video about the sleeves, including installation. They recommend lubing the bottom pieces to ease installation.
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Z1 has a video about the sleeves, including installation. They recommend lubing the bottom pieces to ease installation.
You know, the pre-moderator slartibartfast would have phrased that differently, with a gentle whiff of acerbic, old-man commentary.

Just saying.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:24 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Yes. I do have to put more thought into what I write now.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:31 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Sorry for the delay I’m working but yes pre lube whatever was in the grease gun that’s in the shop I go to.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:22 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Just ordered these, should have them installed before the end of March!
Old 01-01-2019, 09:42 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Any long term updates from members who have installed the subframe bushings? Thinking about pulling the trigger on them.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:41 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
Any long term updates from members who have installed the subframe bushings? Thinking about pulling the trigger on them.
They are barely worth it if you track your car as the gains are very minimal. On the street they are overkill. Consider them if your factory bushing starts leaking.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
They are barely worth it if you track your car as the gains are very minimal. On the street they are overkill. Consider them if your factory bushing starts leaking.
I think maybe jpowersjr2 is asking about the subframe collars, even though he said bushings. I agree the diff bushing kit is something better left to a repair from a blown main diff bushing, or if the rear diff is already off the car for whatever reason.

As for the collars, I wanted these, too, but held off waiting for reviews (like yours). Conventional wisdom is these could be a good mod if you've got high mileage on your car, and are chasing every possible mod to stiffen up your ride, for whatever reason. But I've taken these off my list. It's not even a potential future mod, just not on the list at all anymore.

Kind of sad about it, LOL.

Hey jpowersjr2... Looking back in this thread, I kind of derailed it with discussion about motor mounts. It's been a year since then, and the OP went and installed Z1 polyurethane motor mounts in his car. And on Black Friday, I bought a pair for a springtime install in a few months. So maybe that's the mod that will give you the smiles you're looking for.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-02-2019 at 11:37 AM.
jpowersjr2 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 12:39 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

After several months and two track events, I'd say Rochester is right on the money. N & V aren't really affected but H sure is. As ride comfort is a lower priority for me than most G owners, I'm not upset.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I think maybe jpowersjr2 is asking about the subframe collars, even though he said bushings. I agree the diff bushing kit is something better left to a repair from a blown main diff bushing, or if the rear diff is already off the car for whatever reason.

As for the collars, I wanted these, too, but held off waiting for reviews (like yours). Conventional wisdom is these could be a good mod if you've got high mileage on your car, and are chasing every possible mod to stiffen up your ride, for whatever reason. But I've taken these off my list. It's not even a potential future mod, just not on the list at all anymore.

Kind of sad about it, LOL.

Hey jpowersjr2... Looking back in this thread, I kind of derailed it with discussion about motor mounts. It's been a year since then, and the OP went and installed Z1 polyurethane motor mounts in his car. And on Black Friday, I bought a pair for a springtime install in a few months. So maybe that's the mod that will give you the smiles you're looking for.
The subframe bushings and collars are about the same in terms of upgrades- do them if you want the last bit of precision on the track or the oem parts are starting to fail. Otherwise they are kind of a pointless upgrade for the street.

The motor mounts are a different story. In comparison to the subframe bushings and collars, the motor mounts make a significant difference instantly- even on the street. The car immediately shifts better and the throttle is quicker to respond. The downside is that they are significantly more difficult and expensive to install.
Rochester (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 06:54 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Sorry, yes I was referring to the Z1 subframe collars. I need to check the condition of my subframe bushings. I had already purchased the Whiteline diff bushings years ago thinking mine would eventually go but the OEM one is still going strong at 121k miles (it'll probably go now that I've mentioned it lol).

I do have some concerns about bushings and other parts failing due to my mileage so that's why I was contemplating the collars. I am getting ready to do a pretty big suspension upgrade/overhaul so these are simple and cheap enough to where I could just knock them out while I'm doing everything else.

When the engine mounts go or I've ran out of things to do lol I haven't decided if I want to tackle the motor mounts, any good DIY's out there? I'd go urethane for both them and the Z1 trans mount.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:41 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

The trans mount is easy peasy. All of four bolts. You do need to get the car in the air and have a jack to support the trans.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:00 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Yeah the trans mount I'm confident I can do. What about the engine mounts though?
Old 01-03-2019, 06:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
Yeah the trans mount I'm confident I can do. What about the engine mounts though?
Engine mounts are kind of a PITA from what I can tell. I had one of my techs do them and he said he was just barely able to tilt the engine enough to get them in. He said the normal service for those parts calls for pulling the engine entirely. If you have a good tech or are beyond handy yourself, it is possible without pulling the motor.

That makes sense about the subframe collars for you if you have high miles and plan to do a lot of other suspension parts too. Although, I would try to do the upgrades separately if possible so you can tell the difference each part makes. That's what I try to do.

I also agree that the trans mount is pretty easy to replace.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:48 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Yeah as much as I want to see how much each part changes the car, once I get started on this project, I'm not stopping lol. Most parts I'm replacing are interconnected in some way so I should save a lot of time by doing it in "one sitting". FYI I'm doing coilovers, FUCA, rear camber arms, toe bolt, subframe collars, sway bars & endlinks. Diff bushing appears fine so the Whitelines will stay on the shelf for now.

Last edited by jpowersjr2; 01-03-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Review Z1 rear differential and subframe bushings