Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Z1 rear differential and subframe bushings

Old 01-15-2018, 08:15 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I am surprised to hear you say our V-6 is smoother than anything else, let alone an inline 4 cylinder.
Smoother, not smoothest. I'd love to try a V-12.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:26 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Smoother, not smoothest. I'd love to try a V-12.
Still surprising given the design of both engines. Most inline engines are much smoother than a V design. Some 4 cylinders do not even need balance shafts. I think our V6 is pretty rough as far as vibrations go. But I know you are comparing to a clapped out car and a race car so it sort of makes sense. I'll take any excuse to drive a V-12
Old 01-15-2018, 10:52 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Inline fours have pretty strong 2nd order vibrations. Inline eights were reportedly very smooth.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,570 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Since we're wildly OT... my wife's Forester's 2.5L flat-four boxer idles rough, but purrs all silky smooth under throttle. It's surprisingly rewarding, with a CVT that you would swear was an excellent geared transmission. Whereas the little 1.8L inline 4cyl engine in my kid's Sentra is garbage. Might as well be a Ford Pinto. And the CVT in the Sentra is also junk, I hate it.

Originally Posted by Calg37USMC
I’ll be picking up a set of poly motor mounts from Z1
Bump

Last edited by Rochester; 01-16-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Since we're wildly OT... my wife's Forester's 2.5L flat-four boxer idles rough, but purrs all silky smooth under throttle. It's surprisingly rewarding, with a CVT that you would swear was an excellent geared transmission. Whereas the little 1.8L inline 4cyl engine in my kid's Sentra is garbage. Might as well be a Ford Pinto. And the CVT in the Sentra is also junk, I hate it.

Bump
Lol I just put in a Order for a custom aluminum DS and I just got a Z1 diff cover. Maybe later this year before I’m on the track.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:22 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Our honda accord ('15 2.4L NA 4cyl w/cvt) has this nasty vibe when it's cold outside and idling at a light. Once underway it's pretty smooth (or as smooth as a 4cyl can be). No stepped gearing like in the subaru, but no rubber banding either like in the altima. The vibration can be eliminated by adding a hint of throttle. Looks like it's set up with the lowest idle possible for emission purposes. What's really insane is the 40+ mpg on the highway when driving at 60/65mph with gentle throttle inputs. That's better than I got with my bike!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Lol I just put in a Order for a custom aluminum DS and I just got a Z1 diff cover. Maybe later this year before I’m on the track.
Any chance you'll be installing the motor mounts first, before the DS, so that you can assess their effect on the car?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Any chance you'll be installing the motor mounts first, before the DS, so that you can assess their effect on the car?
Assess the affect that the motor mounts feel in our car? I haven’t purchased them yet... wasn’t planning on the DS but shiiit happens. I’ll see what I can do but I’m more wanting the TMW short throw shifter.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Assess the affect that the motor mounts feel in our car? I haven’t purchased them yet...
Exactly. Handling, throttle response, NVH, etc. In so far as driving it around normally, where normal isn't snapping a rear axle.

Oh well, if it happens, write about it somewhere. In the meantime, have fun with the new STS.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-16-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Exactly. Handling, throttle response, NVH, etc. In so far as driving it around normally, where normal isn't snapping a rear axle.

Oh well, if it happens, write about it somewhere. In the meantime, have fun with the new STS.
Rochester, I think our life long quest to get an honest review of the motor mounts for our car is never going to happen until one of us just bites the bullet and gets them.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Rochester, I think our life long quest to get an honest review of the motor mounts for our car is never going to happen until one of us just bites the bullet and gets them.
Well, truth is this mod is still planned out for 2020, so I can wait. At the moment, I'm kind of pleased to have discovered Z1's subframe collars, and I need to chew on that for a while.

Not that things can't get re-prioritized ...which is exactly the kind of thing that can happen after reading a great review.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Unfortunately for me, or not. I am getting both the bushings and subframe done next week, so I might not be able to tell the difference between one and the other. My car feels like it has too much roll in a sharp corner, but that is more like a sway bar link.

Got it done. I have wrote in another place here about the experience. The car feels more solid and connected, but going out of parking lots with noticeable drops, it is more harsh. I hit the gas and spun the tires, will just have to use less power if I am launching from broken pavement. I know, no duh. Haven't tried really big corners, but yeah feels pretty rock solid at the moment.

Last edited by ezbme; 01-24-2018 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 09:10 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I noticed the noise while driving in traffic. My mechanic said he had trouble getting them in which is weird being that on the video they just slide in. He said he had to press them in. I asked him if he had turn them around to fit of course he said he did. The subframe was replaced in 2013 I don't know if they did something to the bushings back then that possibly made the space smaller. If anything perhaps it's installer error l. Sadly he charged me an hour beyond what I was expecting. Being that they're my parts he probably won't want to fix it. As I've mentioned the car feels much more together I just hope it stays that way. I know hardly anyone's had this install yet could the people who have please tell me their experience?

Last edited by ezbme; 01-25-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ezbme
I noticed the noise while driving in traffic. My mechanic said he had trouble getting them in which is weird being that on the video they just slide in. He said he had to press them in. I asked him if he had turn them around to fit of course he said he did. The subframe was replaced in 2013 I don't know if they did something to the bushings back then that possibly made the space smaller. If anything perhaps it's installer error l. Sadly he charged me an hour beyond what I was expecting. Being that they're my parts he probably won't want to fix it. As I've mentioned the car feels much more together I just hope it stays that way. I know hardly anyone's had this install yet could the people who have please tell me their experience?
I didn’t have that issue however I did apply grease and the slid in. No noise for me.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I didn’t have that issue however I did apply grease and they slid in. No noise for me.
Greasing up the collars when inserting them into the OEM bushings, that makes sense.

Was that part of the install instructions?

What did you use... standard pre-lube grease, like in the swaybar bushings?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review Z1 rear differential and subframe bushings