Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Z1 Motorsports Transmission mount/bushing on '13 G37S 6spd.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:51 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
Thumbs up Z1 Motorsports Transmission mount/bushing on '13 G37S 6spd.

I have had this on my car for a week now to take out the awful shifter slop. Initially I was skeptical because I previously had a Drop Engineering transmission mount on my 370Z and it vibrated so loudly that it sounded like someone had removed my exhaust entirely!?! Needless to say, I removed that part immediately.

INSTALLATION & FITMENT: The installation of this part is a breeze and much simpler if you have access to a lift and a support for the transmission. If you are doing shifter springs as well, this is a great time to do them. The build quality of this part is impressive. It will probably outlast my car.

NVH: Initially I noticed that this part still increases NVH, especially past 3k rpm with the windows up. I drove around on it for a week to make sure I was ok with the part. I am not sure if the bushing softened up, my Stillen exhaust got slightly louder, or I just got used to it. Probably a combination of the three.

Overall: I would recommend this part if you are sick of the shifter slop, already have a louder exhaust, and do not mind a little more noise at higher rpms.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-22-2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added "review" prefix
The following 2 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
blnewt (09-24-2015), Upscale Speed (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Can you provide us with more detail please?
NVH at idle?
NVH at 1,800-2,500rpm under little to mild throttle
NVH at 2,500rpm then stomping on it?
NVH at 3,000rpm on the highway?
NVH at 5,000rpm and up?

Just curious what the overall feel is and has the NVH lessened since you initially had it installed? I'm very close to getting this, I have a 7AT though and your findings are valuable to the community as there are several others on the fence about this mount.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No problem. Keep in mind I have a Stillen exhaust so I will hear less noise from the trans. mount than with a stock exhaust. The Stillen is pretty quiet as far as aftermarket exhausts, but I still hear the exhaust more than noise from the trans mount.

At idle and low rpms the trans mount noise is very mild. On the highway at 70-75mph I am in 6th and just under 3k rpms and again I do not notice it. I usually only notice it at all around 3,000 rpms, but I am just a shift away from making it quiet.

I would imagine on an A/T the trans mount would be fairly quiet too as the A/T would normally probably shift earlier than I do, unless you are in Sport mode.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

I drive my car pretty aggressively hitting WOT daily. How is the NVH when you stomp on the gas?
Old 10-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

I have an Invidia CBE and FI RHFC for exhaust mods. Not too loud, but definitely louder than stock. Also my intake is loud. Stillen LTI, M370 and PNP lower plenum, plus Ecutek tune.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
I drive my car pretty aggressively hitting WOT daily. How is the NVH when you stomp on the gas?
Good to see you drive like I drive. I would say under WOT I hear my exhaust more than I hear the mount. I would think you would be fine, especially since you have an intake. I just have a catback exhaust right now. Actually, the slight noise I hear from the trans mount under load actually makes the exhaust sound a bit like a V8 since it is a slightly lower tone. I wonder if you will even hear it with your intake.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,563 Likes on 3,421 Posts
Link: https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...nt-p-6580.html

With some humility, I have to say this mod never crossed my mind until I read your review. I really ought to troll Z1's website more often.

And I'm interested, OP. Very very interested. On my last car, I replaced the engine torque mount bushings with solid poly bushings from Energy Suspension. There was a great deal more NVH, but all that was forgiven because of the way it changed power delivery, and the way it smoothed out shifting. The perception of improved throttle response was fantastic.

It seems to me this little tranny mount could be a middle-ground mod, without all the harshness of having stiff engine mount bushings.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-15-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:17 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

What car had the engine mounts? I was considering these for the G down the road
Old 10-20-2015, 07:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
What car had the engine mounts? I was considering these for the G down the road
That was a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE 6MT that I bought new in '03. These are the mounts on the sides of the engine, the ones that get the most abuse. For the transversely situated engine, that means the mounts in the front and back of the engine bay. It really transformed the car. Loved that mod. But you know, NVH isnt for everybody, and it can be severe when you stiffen up the engine mounts. That's why when I read this thread, I got pretty psyched.

However, before this tranny mount, I'm planning on replacing the rear diff frame mount bushing as part of the rear gear swap. So this isn't on my list until Fall 2016.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-20-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:21 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Regarding Installation: FWIW, due in part to NVH and finding the part out of torque spec two times, I went with some Threadlocker Red and have no more issues.

Spirited Daily Driver too. That's why I remove this mod in the winter/wet season.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bravo at:
4DRZ (10-22-2015), Rochester (10-20-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 01:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bravo at
Regarding Installation: FWIW, due in part to NVH and finding the part out of torque spec two times, I went with some Threadlocker Red and have no more issues.

Spirited Daily Driver too. That's why I remove this mod in the winter/wet season.
Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on that
Old 12-06-2018, 02:16 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
I literally started laughing as I drove down the street after installation. It was genuinely comical. My immediate thought was, "How on earth does the solid mount feel/sound?!?" I wanted to share my initial feelings objectively now before variables change. I currently still have stock exhaust installed. I wish I could have someone with this mount with louder exhaust to take a ride with me for comparison purposes. From the other reviews, increase in NVH seems minimal. My reaction? It is NOT minimal. I am not exaggerating for effect. Definitely, racecar.

Also, I don't really feel a considerable difference in the shifter feel. With 150k miles, I thought this would be a fairly big change in shift response. It's not.

I've only driven about 30 miles with it, and I like it in an entertainingly eccentric way. I am sure it will 'loosen up' a bit after a couple hundred miles or so. I've also got a Stillen exhaust from the Black Friday sale that was delivered this week. I'm going to have my buddy drive it when he gets home to get his take on it. Then, I'll put the exhaust on, wait another hundred miles, and return for a followup assessment.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by nelledge
From the other reviews, increase in NVH seems minimal. My reaction? It is NOT minimal. I am not exaggerating for effect. Definitely, racecar.
LOL, you're not wrong. The resonance is downright visceral, as something you both feel and hear. And it won't break in over time, this is your new normal. Enjoy.

Wait, what's going on in your profile? Did you move to Georgia?

Originally Posted by Rochester
It seems to me this little tranny mount could be a middle-ground mod, without all the harshness of having stiff engine mount bushings.
3 years later... Everything I've read, including following behind the OP's mods, the motor mounts are minimal NVH, whereas the transmission mount is the severe change. 4DRZ has done both, with a gap between the installs. I have a pair of motor mounts sitting in my office right now, waiting for Spring 2019.

In other words, the assumptions on NVH for these mounts is backwards: the motor mounts are tame, and the transmission mount is harsh.

Here are some dining room table pics:

Last edited by Rochester; 12-06-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nelledge
I literally started laughing as I drove down the street after installation. It was genuinely comical. My immediate thought was, "How on earth does the solid mount feel/sound?!?" I wanted to share my initial feelings objectively now before variables change. I currently still have stock exhaust installed. I wish I could have someone with this mount with louder exhaust to take a ride with me for comparison purposes. From the other reviews, increase in NVH seems minimal. My reaction? It is NOT minimal. I am not exaggerating for effect. Definitely, racecar.

Also, I don't really feel a considerable difference in the shifter feel. With 150k miles, I thought this would be a fairly big change in shift response. It's not.

I've only driven about 30 miles with it, and I like it in an entertainingly eccentric way. I am sure it will 'loosen up' a bit after a couple hundred miles or so. I've also got a Stillen exhaust from the Black Friday sale that was delivered this week. I'm going to have my buddy drive it when he gets home to get his take on it. Then, I'll put the exhaust on, wait another hundred miles, and return for a followup assessment.
I had the stillen exhaust on my car before I did the transmission mount so once I added the trans mount the difference in NVH was only sightly different. It actually accentuated the exhaust slightly to make it sound a bit throatier. However, I did have a stock 370Z Sport package a few cars ago and got a similar transmission mount from a different company. It seemed ridiculously loud!
Old 01-08-2019, 09:11 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
I'll add my experience with the Z1 transmission mount here also. I'll add more as I drive the car.

At the moment, I have the car on jack stand still. I started the car up and at idle there's a subtle vibration. The vibration is more felt as I rev the engine. I thought my y-pipe was hitting the chassis or transmission cross member, but it was actually from the stiffness of the transmission mount. Hopefully, I'll have the car done this week to drive it to experience it with load and on the road.
Latez

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review Z1 Motorsports Transmission mount/bushing on '13 G37S 6spd.