Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Vibra-Technics Trans mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 10:03 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Vibra-Technics Trans mount

I had the Vibra-Technics trans mount installed. I bought it used from a forum member with a 6MT. The website doesn't specifically list the 7AT as an approved application but it does fit. Install time was half-an-hour (yay Southern car!).

The mount is significantly stiffer compared to OEM when held in one's hand. It's stiffer when installed, too. When puttering around a neighborhood, the mount manifests itself like an exhaust pipe hard up against the body. A bit more exhaust noise, seemingly, and more vibration through the steering wheel. I have the ARK Grip so it does mask some of the vibrations. It's now very obvious when the A/C compressor starts, especially when at a stop, whereas before it was nearly invisible. At constant freeway speeds all I feel is a little more vibration through the steering wheel. When accelerating I get what sounds like more intake noise but that can't be true as the intake is bone stock. The one 2nd gear stomp I've made so far revealed a lot of additional vibration, a very visceral sensation. More romping needed and further review updates coming.

So far I'm ambivalent to the change. If you feel the G is luxurious you won't like the change. If you feel more like the G is a bloated 370Z you will more likely approve of the change.

03-Sept-2016: managed a three gear lunge today and the mount wasn't as obvious as I expected. It just seemed like the intake was louder. I do notice the mount when coming to a stop as I can discern the whine of the straight-cut teeth in the planetary gear sets.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 09-05-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:11 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

April 2017 update.

I've gotten used to the mount. I still notice it at idle, especially when the A/C compressor cycles on and off, both in the seat and the steering wheel. Otherwise, it kind of fades out of my awareness. I spend my attention on the ARK exhaust and manual shift-mode. And music. My brother certainly noticed it, though.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:23 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
This mount is specifically designed to increase control over the car by giving more driver "feel". Unwanted movement of the gear stick is completely eliminated. They are perfect for fast road or motorsport applications.
Um... I'm still kind of confused. What exactly does this mod do?

You talk about more vibration from steering wheel, is that it? Do you feel more of the road? Is the steering wheel stiffer?
Old 08-25-2017, 06:40 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

The stock mount allows a lot of transmission movement, particularly side-to-side. It's one of the reasons the drive shaft has u-joints.

The Vibra-Technics mount uses urethane instead of rubber, so there is much less trans movement.

This mod makes more sense for a 6mt than a 7AT. It also should be combined with stiffened motor mounts but that would make for lots of vibration. You have to be committed for this.

I feel extra drivetrain vibes through the steering wheel, especially at low rpm when the A/C compressor kicks on. There is no extra road feel nor does it change steering in any way. I could put the stock mount back in and not miss the stiffer one but I'm used to it and enjoy a tiny increase in drivetrain stiffness.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:04 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
cool thanks for the explanation
Old 04-30-2019, 01:40 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
i think you and i are the only ones that have this mount..
I find that when the car is just idling in gear you can feel the vibrations pretty good..once the car is up to speed it is not very noticeable..
higher RPM's you definitely feel it more in the steering wheel and gear shift.
While i also did BDE motor mounts i can tell you there is no movement in the motor or transmission with this combination..
it going to take a bit to adjust to the NVH of these but so far so good
Old 10-10-2021, 06:42 PM
fallenblade
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have installed:

solid trans mount
poly diff bushings
poly motor mounts

At first this set up vibrated a lot at constant speed, but adding the power steering cooler and transmission cooler reduced vibrations by about 40% couldn’t tell you how or why, just what I observed.

increases noise, but driveline is stiffer and power delivery is great.