Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:31 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
So, are there any driveline negative consequences with installing a stiffer mount? Are we transferring any of the movement to another driveline piece? I'm thinking long term.

When I threw in a poly motor mount and lightweight flywheel in my maxima, Id find myself revving just to watch the RPMs jump and the racecar vibration.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:37 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
So, are there any driveline negative consequences with installing a stiffer mount? Are we transferring any of the movement to another driveline piece? I'm thinking long term.

When I threw in a poly motor mount and lightweight flywheel in my maxima, Id find myself revving just to watch the RPMs jump and the racecar vibration.
GREAT question. I'd love more information on this.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
My not-an-engineer opinion on that would be increased efficiency to the drivetrain for the reduced play, at the cost of NVH to the driver. There might be some aspect of the car that suffers over time because of a resonance it wouldn't normally be exposed to... IDK what that could be, but I doubt it would be any part of the drivetrain. Maybe in a couple of years your rear view mirror will fall off.

I joke, but actually my old Maxima's RV mirror started shaking after swapping in poly mounts.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Okay... That's it. I have a twm sts I've been waiting to install... Looks like I'm getting a Trans mount for my coupe. Thanks for spending $200 of my money Rochester. Ugh
Old 05-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sway_NV
Okay... That's it. I have a twm sts I've been waiting to install... Looks like I'm getting a Trans mount for my coupe. Thanks for spending $200 of my money Rochester. Ugh
Pretty minor expense compared to the gears I originally planned for 2016. Looking at your sig line, I know you know what I'm talking about.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:39 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Kinda freaking out here. I've had the cucha thunk noise with my clutch I started a thread about awhile ago. It got noticeably worse with thus mount. Figured it was the price to pay and though it made me cringe I dealt with it. Today I'm at a light and I hear a full rattle. Like metal on metal rattle. Car deuces fine. Shifts fine. And can't replicate it but it did match the revs ever so slightly for s moment and has since gone away. I love the mod and am hoping it's just the dumb tech not tightening down the cover or something. Will be visiting dealer soon and update.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:54 PM
Furlow

Originally Posted by IracknBack
Kinda freaking out here. I've had the cucha thunk noise with my clutch I started a thread about awhile ago. It got noticeably worse with thus mount. Figured it was the price to pay and though it made me cringe I dealt with it. Today I'm at a light and I hear a full rattle. Like metal on metal rattle. Car deuces fine. Shifts fine. And can't replicate it but it did match the revs ever so slightly for s moment and has since gone away. I love the mod and am hoping it's just the dumb tech not tightening down the cover or something. Will be visiting dealer soon and update.
Are you talking about the noise when the clutch is disengaged? Or something else?
Old 05-21-2016, 07:46 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
no it's much more than the standard noise when engaged. I've had this installed for a few weeks now and ever since I did the already present "clunk" sound when disengaging the clutch got worse but I let it go. Today it was rattling at idle so bad I know without a doubt something is wrong. It's gotten progressively worse since Install. Just curious if anyone else has had an issue.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:51 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Pretty minor expense compared to the gears I originally planned for 2016. Looking at your sig line, I know you know what I'm talking about.
This is true, but them gears tho! Do it!!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by IracknBack
no it's much more than the standard noise when engaged. I've had this installed for a few weeks now and ever since I did the already present "clunk" sound when disengaging the clutch got worse but I let it go. Today it was rattling at idle so bad I know without a doubt something is wrong. It's gotten progressively worse since Install. Just curious if anyone else has had an issue.
That certainly would freak me out. Odds are you've a bolt not torqued down enough, but certainly go back to the shop. Good luck. That's an emotional roller-coaster, to mod the car all excited, only to freak out a few weeks later because of it.

You know, IDK what this clutch noise is that you and Furlow are talking about. Not saying I don't have it, I just suspect if I do, it's not so pronounced that I'm aware of it. It really is a noisy car, and not just because of the exhaust. Looking back, Nico-derm and MaQG37 are also discussing this "cement mixer" noise.

Only thing I can relate this to is when the engine is cold. Car sounds positively horrible, like an old diesel truck. It's downright embarrassing. And somehow it changes when you engage the clutch, which I really don't understand. But that's just when cold. Soon as it warms up, all's right with the world.

Originally Posted by Sway_NV
This is true, but them gears tho! Do it!!
Still on the list, tentative now for Spring 2017. Figure to buy the seal kit and the rear-diff bushings at separate points on the calendar from the gear & pinion, and then the actual install, early Springtime. Not a cheap mod. Exactly the kind of expense that's difficult to get past the wife's veto... which is why I went with the mods I did this year.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-22-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:33 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
...It's on the top side of the driveshaft...
can you access it without having to remove anything underneath...
Old 05-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by micafd3s
can you access it without having to remove anything underneath...
Yes, absolutely. But it's awkward, and pretty much center to the car. Front ramps alone probably won't be enough, but I'm just making an assumption about that. However, if you're OK putting the whole car up on stands and rolling underneath, you'll be fine. Putting your car up on a lift is obviously better. And paying a trusted mechanic is best, but certainly the lazy and more expensive approach.
The following users liked this post:
micafd3s (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 10:04 AM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
The shift boot I purchased from Redline Goods hasn't arrived yet, so I held off on installing the STS this weekend. Transmission mount install is still a go for tomorrow. Can't wait!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:40 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Front ramps alone probably won't be enough, but I'm just making an assumption about that.
You're correct, ramps don't get the car high enough to access the shifter from the bottom. Maybe if you're really skinny you could get to it

Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
The shift boot I purchased from Redline Goods hasn't arrived yet, so I held off on installing the STS this weekend. Transmission mount install is still a go for tomorrow. Can't wait!
Looking forward to your feedback! I'm going to do one of these two trans mounts sooner than later
Old 05-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Furlow

Only thing I can relate this to is when the engine is cold. Car sounds positively horrible, like an old diesel truck. It's downright embarrassing. And somehow it changes when you engage the clutch, which I really don't understand. But that's just when cold. Soon as it warms up, all's right with the world.
This is what we're talking about. Are you sure it goes away? Doesn't matter how long I drive. In neutral at a stop, the cement mixer/diesel truck sound is there. Last night after some spirited driving, I pulled over and stoppped. Put it in neutral, opened my door slightly, and it sounded a lot like grinding. I revved the engine, drove forward a few feet, tested again. It didn't grind anymore, but the cement mixer/diesel engine noise was still there. I can definitely see this getting worse over time.

Which would be a shame because this is an EXCELLENT mod. The car feels more planted while accelerating through turns. The traction control doesn't engage nearly as much as before. Straight line take offs are much more smooth, no wheel/engine hop like before. And the sound (the good sounds) is just amazing.

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount