Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review B&M short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:58 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
B&M short throw shifter

I installed a B&M short throw shifter a while ago, but I wanted to drive with it a while before posting up a review. The first thing I noticed is that this is a very high quality part. None of that "will it work, will it rattle, will it fit" bs you get with a lot of aftermarket parts.

The install was pretty simple and straight forward. Everything went as planned and no surprises. Use common sense, file out the notch for reverse, line up the plate and you will be fine.

Initially, it was very tight and notchy when I first installed it. Almost hard to shift. It turns out part of the problem was that I inadvertently twisted one of the shift boots. Easy fix. Everything has since softened up significantly.

It feels great and no complaints. It is also the only shift kit I have installed that the bushings do not rattle on the highway. I found this maddening on a lot of other kits in the past. This kit is quiet, shifts smoothly, solidly, and feels like it could be an oem part after it brakes in. Nice short direct throws and a solid engagement into gears. A good mod and a high quality part if you are considering a shift kit.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-22-2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added "review" prefix
The following users liked this post:
StreetShotz (01-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 11:37 AM
StreetShotz

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm currently looking for a short shifter for my G and this one is one I'm considering.

Do you have any pictures of it mounted? And how much shorter of a throw is the shift?
Old 01-30-2016, 11:40 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I will have some pics added to my build thread in about a week or so of how much lower it looks with a different shift ****. It did shorten the throws a nice amount. Hard to measure exactly as part of the shorter throw is also due to the shorter height of the shifter and the shift ****.

More importantly, this will probably be the highest quality shifter you can get for this car from a well known company. So the fitment will be better, the shifts will be more precise, and you will have less issues. If you have done short shift kits before you will probably know that most of them do not shift smooth like stock and frequently rattle. I have had none of these problems with the B&M shifter.
The following users liked this post:
StreetShotz (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 03:00 PM
StreetShotz

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Fit and finish are very important. That alone will get me to pick this unit up.

Looking forward to the installed pics!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:52 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Here are the installed pics with a new shortened Redline shift boot and a new tear drop delrin Torque Solution shift **** to get the heights right with the B&M short shifter. Easy to install since I already installed a regular height Redline shift boot (probably will be for sale if anyone wants it). Everything fits and works excellently.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

UPDATE: It has been nearly 3 years and this shift kit is still rock solid reliable and provides great shifts. I did switch shift ***** to a Raceseng Sphereology a while ago and that was another great upgrade. I did not realize at the time how much nicer it is to have a weighted shift ****. The shifts become even easier with a weighted shift ****.