D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Cup holder fix - G37 Sedan (2011)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:35 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Cup holder fix - G37 Sedan (2011)

Fixed my cup holder that wouldn't stay closed in my 2011 G37x Sedan.

This is the same procedure others have mentioned (inserting screw) and while I didn't take pictures or videos while inserting the screw, I do have a video of what failed and pictures of where I inserted the screw. I consider this repair to be permanent as a broken piece of plastic is replaced with a screw.

Time:
  • Less than 60 minutes
Tools
  • Small screw
  • Small drill bit
  • Drill
  • Plastic pry tool (trim removal)
  • Phillips screw driver
Difficulty:
  • Easy DIY. Most difficult part (for me) was removing the center console and specifically the trim retaining the console 12v and USB connectors

First, here's a video showing what fails with the cup holder. Initially it failed while detailing a few weeks ago however when I removed the trim around the shifter the lid started closing so I put it back together (after installing felt to eliminate the center console creaking). What I found is the lid doesn't totally fail, but it does fail enough that removing the center console trim corrects the issue.

What I did to resolve the issue was drill a small pilot hole (to prevent splitting the plastic) and insert a screw to replace the plastic piece that broke off.

Pictures and removal instructions from FSM.

-Eric

Plastic part that fails.

Where the part used to site to keep the closing mechanism secure.

Where I drilled

Finished

Took time to completely dismantle and clean the center console while it was out.

Cleaned.

Last edited by llebcire; 03-31-2019 at 09:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
codeflux (04-01-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 09:44 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Fsm

Factory Service Manual for 2011 G37 showing center console components and removal.

Removal is very straight forward and quite easy. Once I go to step 6 I was in the back seat with both front seats moved to their forward positions for additional room.

The only issue I had was with step 6 removing the finisher holding the 12v power supply and USB connection (have Navi) as the finisher didn't want to release and I didn't want to break it. There was enough slack in the wiring that I was able to get under the center console and release the "pawls" holding it in place. I did remove the console lid to better facilitate getting under the console for this step and later to clean.

-Eric

Old 04-01-2019, 01:07 AM
codeflux
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Excellent write-up, thank you! Subscribed, in case mine ever breaks.
The following users liked this post:
llebcire (04-01-2019)