D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Restoring Headlights Now-Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Restoring Headlights Now-Please help!

Guys I'm new here and have looked for days for this answer so if I'm disobeying protocol please lmk! I have headlights already out of vehicle so trying to be quick. The top of lens near blinker is fading yellow, however, the rest of the lens has (factory?) clearcoat and looks great. Do I sand the whole thing or just the small yellow pinch? (And if sanding the whole lens how do I make sure the flakes don't scratch the plastic underneath?) Do y'all have an opinion? Thanks for your help!
Old 09-17-2017, 04:20 PM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
here you go
https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...storation.html

PS no need to make 2 posts about it
Old 09-17-2017, 05:09 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

Hey thanks for posting this but I had already read this good write-up. I can't find where it answers my question?
Old 09-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

I thought a pic might help. Thx!
Old 09-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

I was runnin' out of daylight and needed car for work today so I just did the uncoated part. I found scratches of sandpaper in the coated part of lens so I think someone has already done this on the car previously and it may be their clearcoat that is coming off. They did a good job whoever it was. The part I did looks much better. I already owned the Turtle Wax kit and used it as a get me by until I need to do the whole thing again in which case I'll have time to take them out and reseal with the Rustoleum method and allow to dry before putting them back on the car.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I'd follow the complete DIY, do it to both lights completely, that final buff after 3 gradually finer rounds of sandpaper will have them looking great. It's actually easier to have them back on the car, as you have a firmer mount for the lights when you're doing the sanding, just be sure to wrap painters tape around the painted bumper/fender areas where the lights meet the paint. Blue Magic is a decent final coat once you get them shined up.
The following users liked this post:
Texas Boy (09-20-2017)