D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Steering Shaft Knuckles Rubbing Headers...Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Chief_McGrass

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering Shaft Knuckles Rubbing Headers...Solutions?

I installed some new headers on my 09 Coupe and the knuckles on the steering column are rubbing it. At first, I couldn't even turn the wheel. I ground down the knuckles as well as the bolt and it was fixed...when the headers are cool haha. Forgetting that metal expands at high temps, I put everything back together and went for a drive and boom, its rubbing when at driving temps. I can't possibly grind down any more of that knuckle without risking my safety (and others).

1. Can the motor be moved over, safely, and enough to clear that knuckle? I need about 3/16 of an inch to be good.

2. If not, can the steering shaft be adjusted at the bottom where it connects to the tie rods?

Thanks in advance for any help. I have a 3k mile drive coming up and I don't want to lose steering while I'm driving through the WV mountains.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Chief_McGrass

So I've also seen now where people shim their motor mounts on other vehicles to get proper fitment. Any thoughts???
Old 06-21-2017, 02:17 PM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
There was one person who found a different style on knuckle that worked. I'll see if I can fine the post.

Found it!!!!!!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...oint-spec.html

Last edited by The Pope; 06-21-2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 06-21-2017, 03:14 PM
Chief_McGrass

Originally Posted by The Pope
There was one person who found a different style on knuckle that worked. I'll see if I can fine the post.

Found it!!!!!!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...oint-spec.html
You are a lifesaver. I will have this overnighted. My trip starts friday 😂 thank you so much.