D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: DIY: The Headlight Full Monte: Strips, Halos & Demon Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:25 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bikezilla
Unfortunately I bought the headlights and Halos last November while collecting materials for my "winter project"

Looking back, I paid $750 for the pair. Try searching for
"Depo 325-1103L-Ashn2 325-1103R-Ashn2 Replacement Pair Headlight For Infiniti G37"

Or elements of this on both ebay and google. The best price I see right now is $800/pair but keep looking, I've seen it drop to $700. Just be careful to inspect the pictures and descriptions to ensure they are Depos and not something else.

As far as value for for your car, the moment you mod your headlights their resale value is limited to a narrow band of enthusiasts. Trade-in or resale of the car will be affected by modded headlights regardless of the brand. So I figured I might as well mod some OE-Rs and save my OEMs for when (if) I return the car to stock for resale.

Oh and if anyone is considering buying Starry Night components, they're having a Memorial Day sale right now. They often have discount sales on major holidays.
So then it seems like a horrible idea? I have a fully loaded 2011 g37xs, I wanted to black out the housing and install halos + demon eyes. Keep all OEM functionality. If it's going to lose trade-in and resale value that would be ****ty, to spend all that money on a $20k car and then lose it or have to spend 1-2k to buy OEM headlights just to be able to resale it...
Old 05-28-2017, 09:31 AM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by zaz
So then it seems like a horrible idea? I have a fully loaded 2011 g37xs, I wanted to black out the housing and install halos + demon eyes. Keep all OEM functionality. If it's going to lose trade-in and resale value that would be ****ty, to spend all that money on a $20k car and then lose it or have to spend 1-2k to buy OEM headlights just to be able to resale it...
That's not exactly the point I was making.

Any modification beyond OEM stock configuration will reduce the resale potential. At least to dealers and to the general public. Most people are not interested in other peoples modifications. They are personal changes that don't always fit the eye of others. And they are always somebody else's idea.

Most people when they resell their car, return it to stock condition.
If you have a $8000 set of In-Curve wheels, you won't get a penny more for the car on trade-in and probably not much more in resale (outside the enthusiast community).
If you lower your car to close the wheel gap you will have to raise it back up. If you put on a set of Ark exhausts you'll have to take them off. Or the reseller will and they must take that into account in the price they offer you.

SO... I'm keeping my original OEM headlights as is, in storage, so I can swap them out If/when I get ready to resell the car, and I can sell my modded set to the enthusiast community on my own time, rather than hustling to sell with trade as many people also do.
The following 2 users liked this post by bikezilla:
blnewt (05-28-2017), zaz (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 02:13 PM
zaz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bikezilla
That's not exactly the point I was making.

Any modification beyond OEM stock configuration will reduce the resale potential. At least to dealers and to the general public. Most people are not interested in other peoples modifications. They are personal changes that don't always fit the eye of others. And they are always somebody else's idea.

Most people when they resell their car, return it to stock condition.
If you have a $8000 set of In-Curve wheels, you won't get a penny more for the car on trade-in and probably not much more in resale (outside the enthusiast community).
If you lower your car to close the wheel gap you will have to raise it back up. If you put on a set of Ark exhausts you'll have to take them off. Or the reseller will and they must take that into account in the price they offer you.

SO... I'm keeping my original OEM headlights as is, in storage, so I can swap them out If/when I get ready to resell the car, and I can sell my modded set to the enthusiast community on my own time, rather than hustling to sell with trade as many people also do.
I'd say more of what my question is: Lets say in 3-4 years my car drops to a value of $10k and I would like to trade it in for a more reliable and newer vehicle. Either through private sale, or a dealer, or something. I would have ZERO issues with modding my car and not gaining the $600 bucks it'd cost me to do. As in, if it was going to sell for $10k stock, and is still selling for $10k, I have no issues with that. My only concern would be if I spent $600 bucks, tried to sell my car, no one will buy it for over $7k, and now I have to buy a set of OEM headlights to sell it for $10k.

I had motorcycles before this (my official first car) so I never expected returns on my mods when selling. I just wouldn't want reduced value too.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
More than likely a car that runs full depreciation won't take a big hit as long as the lights are tastefully done and go w/ the rest of the cars body/trim color. If you're running some bright neon paint for the lights, or something that has a bold contrast then it could complicate the sale. That goes for other mods too, like a big wing spoiler or wheels that need crazy camber to get down the road.

Keep it classy and you'll be ok, but 'zilla brought up some good points that need to be considered.
The following users liked this post:
zaz (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 09:22 PM
zaz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
More than likely a car that runs full depreciation won't take a big hit as long as the lights are tastefully done and go w/ the rest of the cars body/trim color. If you're running some bright neon paint for the lights, or something that has a bold contrast then it could complicate the sale. That goes for other mods too, like a big wing spoiler or wheels that need crazy camber to get down the road.

Keep it classy and you'll be ok, but 'zilla brought up some good points that need to be considered.
Thanks blt. Yeah those are solid points. I'm hoping to keep this car for 2-5 years, probably 3-5 realistically. I didn't love it much originally but it's grown on me a little, and it'd be nice to keep it until I can afford a GTR (ONE DAY..). So it might just be worth it to do it on my current headlights. The only non-reversible thing I'm doing is painting and cutting a little piece to fit the halos, but that's it. And I will 100% go for a classy tasteful look; it is my commuter to my professional job after all. It'll just have halo DLRs with complete functionality.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
You did an amazing job on the headlights and writing up the thread, big thanks to you. I may send you a PM or two with some questions. You have an IG?
Old 05-29-2017, 05:48 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
You did an amazing job on the headlights and writing up the thread, big thanks to you. I may send you a PM or two with some questions. You have an IG?
Thanks!
It's all good. PM is fine, my IG is bikezilla.
Quesions here are fine too if they're OT they might be helpful for others.
Your choice.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:12 PM
jthibodeau89
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I saw that the light tubes have White/Amber elements. Do they function as turn signals like the latest Q60?
Old 06-02-2017, 05:40 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jthibodeau89
I saw that the light tubes have White/Amber elements. Do they function as turn signals like the latest Q60?
Yep they're sequential Switchback strips.
So are the halos. The amber sweeps to the outside
Old 07-17-2017, 11:34 AM
rgs3

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What an awful img hosting site... I see this ALL OVER the forum. Any chance to start using hosting sites that dont break the whole thread after a month or two? Renders an excellent post entirely useless only after a couple months....

Anyone got a link to a thread/DIY with unbroken pics?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Well they were a fine hosting site for many years, it's just last month when they went offline unless you pay a $400 fee. It sucks for all of us but no one here knew this was coming.
Luckily myG37.com pics can be directly loaded from your PC now, so hopefully many of these threads can be resurrected.

Believe me, everyone shares your frustration, especially the authors of these threads!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 PM
rgs3

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Well they were a fine hosting site for many years, it's just last month when they went offline unless you pay a $400 fee. It sucks for all of us but no one here knew this was coming.
Luckily myG37.com pics can be directly loaded from your PC now, so hopefully many of these threads can be resurrected.

Believe me, everyone shares your frustration, especially the authors of these threads!
Got it. Didn't realize this was a thing that had just happened. I just recently came back to my beloved forum after re-falling in love with the whip...
Thank you for explaining the deal.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:43 PM
zaz
Registered Member

Slightly off topic but, has anyone here figured out how to wire up the halos as DRLs (so nothing else is on)? Especially in Canada?
Old 07-09-2019, 05:08 AM
18 g37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice DIY.
Just wonder if you upgrade the bulbs to led?

I think if the headlight bulbs updated, it will be perfect.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:36 PM
ZG37XCoupe
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Just went through the entire DIY... I will NEVER complain about the price of custom headlights again!

Seriously though, great DIY and kudos to you for all of the effort in wiring everything so thoroughly!
The following users liked this post:
bikezilla (12-31-2019)

Quick Reply: DIY: DIY: The Headlight Full Monte: Strips, Halos & Demon Eyes