D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: JDM NISSAN Skyline V36 Exterior Emblem Swap for 2010-2013 Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 11:10 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
In regard to Skyline badging, I think I will eventually get the door sills. I am torn on the trunk, grille, floor mats/trunk mat, and steering wheel airbag cover. For interior I think I need another Sparco seat, which I plan to get anyway, but then it is justifying the cost of the airbag cover and mats. For the outside I struggle with the grille. Do I leave the grille blank or get a Nissan badge? I experimented with covering up the Infiniti fuji to see how it would look blank and I am not sold on it yet.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:57 AM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I think with an intercooler or CAI behind the grille a blank one would look all right. If you get an OEM-style one without the emblem that might be okay too. For me personally though I don't like the blank mesh ones unless the mesh looks good, which yours does.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:59 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AdamBritt
I think with an intercooler or CAI behind the grille a blank one would look all right. If you get an OEM-style one without the emblem that might be okay too. For me personally though I don't like the blank mesh ones unless the mesh looks good, which yours does.
Thanks, that heavier mesh does look pretty decent, but it is not cheap. The CAI's do have a bit of a menacing appearance to them, but I think that grille still looks better with the fuji emblem. The other issue with a "Skyline" badge on the trunk is that everyone expects it to be a GT-R.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:53 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

I wouldn't sweat it that much. GT-Rs were the most famous model but not the most common. I did mine because I have always liked Skylines and since that's what these cars are I don't worry about it if anyone says if it's a GT-R or not, since that's not really possible on these. Although I read a long thread on the 370Z forums of someone putting GT-R turbos in their Z so if I ever did that I might be tempted to put a GT-R badge on the back.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I wouldn't sweat it that much. GT-Rs were the most famous model but not the most common. I did mine because I have always liked Skylines and since that's what these cars are I don't worry about it if anyone says if it's a GT-R or not, since that's not really possible on these. Although I read a long thread on the 370Z forums of someone putting GT-R turbos in their Z so if I ever did that I might be tempted to put a GT-R badge on the back.
That's a good point. I figure most people on the street have no idea what a Skyline is anyway and those who do will know why this car has a Skyline badge. The flip side is that at track days everyone will probably expect it to be much faster if it says Skyline, but it definitely takes a lot of people by surprise knowing that it is a G37 and how fast I can drive it. A lot of people ask me if it has twin turbos, even with the hood open...??
Old 01-28-2019, 08:25 AM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

That's funny. I think if you don't really know what you're looking at considering our cars and a lot of others have most of the engine hidden under plastic shrouds, seeing the dual intakes and TBs one could be mistaken that it's more than just normal air equipment.

Also our cars have the same everything as the 370Z for the most part, and those were lauded as being good sports cars for years. I don't know what the sedans weigh but the coupes are only 200 pounds heavier than the Z which isn't all that much.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That's funny. I think if you don't really know what you're looking at considering our cars and a lot of others have most of the engine hidden under plastic shrouds, seeing the dual intakes and TBs one could be mistaken that it's more than just normal air equipment.

Also our cars have the same everything as the 370Z for the most part, and those were lauded as being good sports cars for years. I don't know what the sedans weigh but the coupes are only 200 pounds heavier than the Z which isn't all that much.
I agree- I think our cars are more 370Z than Skyline (hence my license plate), especially with the same engine, transmission, chassis, brakes, suspension, etc. The sedans are about 300 lbs. heavier than the 370Z coupe. I am getting closer to 200 lbs. difference.

At the last track day I did a few people asked if I had twin turbos because the car was pretty quick. Once I opened the hood I had a few more people ask because they saw the shiny intake tubes. However, it is pretty easy to see there are no turbos attached.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:46 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Haha yeah I could see the intake tubing fooling some people.

I'm back and forth on our cars being more Z than Skyline. On one hand because they do share pretty much everything (except backseats, suck it Z guys) which they didn't before historically, but on the other hand I'd rather it be this way that keeps the Skyline alive. It's sort of similar to the new Supra and Z4 except it's all in-house for Nissan on these.

Sometimes though when I'm walking up to my car at night, I see a lot of the GT-R in the design. And with that also have a V engine design instead of inline now that makes our cars still in line with what the current Skylines would have been anyway. I think the engine blocks are even pretty much the same, right? Design-wise anyway, I know they're built completely differently beyond that point.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:50 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

(except backseats, suck it Z guys)
Hahaha!

Sometimes though when I'm walking up to my car at night, I see a lot of the GT-R in the design. And with that also have a V engine design instead of inline now that makes our cars still in line with what the current Skylines would have been anyway. I think the engine blocks are even pretty much the same, right? Design-wise anyway, I know they're built completely differently beyond that point.
I think that's a big stretch on the styling and engine. Our cars have a very rounded design whereas the GT-R is very boxy and angular. I don't think there is one major part shared between the two cars. The Z looks totally different than our cars too, but they have the same engine, suspension, brakes, transmission, and chassis.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:05 PM
atreyu285
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got some warm weather and did it. I like the mount fuji emblem better than the nissan hamburger emblem

Last edited by atreyu285; 02-05-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by atreyu285
Finally got some warm weather and did it. I like the mount fugi emblem better than the nissan hamburger emblem
Looks nice. But it does make my brain hurt seeing an Infiniti Fuji with a Skyline emblem. You are really doubling down on the Skyline badging with your license plate.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:56 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

If it makes you feel better, I think the V37 eschews both Infiniti and Nissan and is just "SKYLINE", but it does have the Fuji up front with Skyline lettering and chrome trim in the rear.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

If it makes you feel better, I think the V37 eschews both Infiniti and Nissan and is just "SKYLINE", but it does have the Fuji up front with Skyline lettering and chrome trim in the rear.
That's funny, I was just thinking that maybe I could keep the Infiniti logo on the grille and steering wheel (also clock, but who will really notice) and pull it off the trunk and put Skyline badging on the trunk and kick plates. Then it just comes down to the floormats.

People at track days are going to be so confused, or disappointed. lol They will be expecting some 1,000 hp monster Skyline GT-R. Then again, a Skyline GT-R only had "280 hp"(wink, wink) when it was stock, right?
Old 02-05-2019, 05:58 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

I replaced my clock. My one friend keeps asking me why I'm doing stuff no one would notice, but I'm hoping to get everything completely switched out eventually since I would notice.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:16 PM
atreyu285
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one have the front emblem? part #62890-1NF1B