D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Hella Supertone horns, with factory horns?

Old 03-27-2016, 08:17 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Hella Supertone horns, with factory horns?

got my Hella Supertones, will be installing soon.

my question is, has anybody installed them alongside the factory horns (so that both sound when you press the horn button?)

was wondering if that would sound weird ...

i figured it would be easier to just vampire-tap the factory horn signal to the dedicated Hella relay and leave the factory horns in place, but not sure how this is gonna sound.

also need to see if i have the room to leave the factory horns in there ...
Old 04-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

should have them in tomorrow or the next day - just need to pick up some connectors later. i have every kind except the one i need.

going to wire them in with the included relay, along with the factory horns.
if i don't like the mix of tones, it will be easy enough to just disconnect the stock horns.

then i wait for the jagoff who wants to cut me off with no turn signal .... HONK!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:26 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

horns installed, Plastidipped stealth black behind the grille.

if anyone wants to do the easy install method, you can unplug the factory horn connectors and plug it right on to the Hellas. you may need to either remove the factory horn or make an extension wire to reach (using an MS connector to an FS connector, from the pic below.)

i decided to unleash the full fury with their own dedicated relay and larger gauge wiring. as of right now, they work with the factory horns. if i don't like it, i'll just disco them and leave the Hellas. when i went to test them real quick in the garage before re-assembling everything, i don't remember even hearing the factory horns because they seemed to be drowned out by the Supertones!
The following 2 users liked this post by Landshark:
SheLLz (04-12-2016), VIVID (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 11:39 AM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Using the easy method, and removing the stock horns to put the Hellas in their place, do you get full volume? Or do you have to run the relay for that?
Old 04-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lobuzz311
Using the easy method, and removing the stock horns to put the Hellas in their place, do you get full volume? Or do you have to run the relay for that?
the factory horns use tiny little wires (18 gauge?). i ran in beefier 14 gauge wires. factory horn relay is 15A, Hella relay is 30A.

i installed them using the factory wiring and relay on my other car, and its been fine for over 5 years (don't know the relay rating or wire size, although i don't remember the wires being as skimpy as the G's).

i didn't really "test" them yet - just a quick honk to make sure they worked, but they sure sounded louder than the other car!

even with the "easy" method, you'll be WAY louder than the stock horns.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I installed them yesterday using the easy method. used the stock wiring with the stock relay, changed nothing but the horns. they sound louder but not as loud as I was expecting :/
I am impressed by the price of the unit, I got them for 28$ from amazon. Not so impressed by the loudness.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:52 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by main_shoby
I installed them yesterday using the easy method. used the stock wiring with the stock relay, changed nothing but the horns. they sound louder but not as loud as I was expecting :/
I am impressed by the price of the unit, I got them for 28$ from amazon. Not so impressed by the loudness.
Hows the sound unique? Thinking about it too. Did u do the red? Did you remove bumper?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

try using the relay and lower gauge wire - mine are loud. i remember the G37 having pretty wimpy horn wiring.

don't forget, they are directional - they may not sound as loud in the car. stand in front of the car and have someone give it a blast ...
Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Hows the sound unique? Thinking about it too. Did u do the red? Did you remove bumper?
I got
these, click here. these, click here.

they do sound different, not as bassy as oem ones.

I didnt have to remove the bumper but had to remove driver side air intake box to get access. that 500hz 2nd horn is down there, A bit tricky to get there but very doable. 400hz horn is right under the radiator cover so thats easy.

Originally Posted by Landshark
try using the relay and lower gauge wire - mine are loud. i remember the G37 having pretty wimpy horn wiring.

don't forget, they are directional - they may not sound as loud in the car. stand in front of the car and have someone give it a blast ...
In that case, i should extend wires for the 500hz horn, since its kinda down there in car, probably facing sideward :/
Old 04-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

I didnt have to remove the bumper but had to remove driver side air intake box to get access. that 500hz 2nd horn is down there, A bit tricky to get there but very doable. 400hz horn is right under the radiator cover so thats easy.
I just left the factory horns in place ... i tapped the factory horn signal wire to the Hella relay, which was fused and wired to the battery. mounted the Supertones directly behind the grille using a bracket i made out of a piece of scrap metal. only had to remove the plastic rad cover.

coincidentally, i just used the horns earlier in a parking garage. yes, they're loud.