D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Brake Boost Momentary Switch (Brake Stand Burnouts)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:51 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Well this is my conclusion after days of thinking it over...

I will be keeping it on an intermittent switch that I have hidden in the car. Let me explain...

If I activate said switch, the car can not be started. This is now a hidden safety feature for me. Plus, I feel safer with the switch off while I am driving on public roads. Keeping infiniti's safety features just makes me feel better.

I think the switch can be wired with a momentary power board. They sell them on eBay and Amazon. Basically the board sees power and turns on for anywhere from 1 second to like 5 mins etc however you program it. Then it turns power off even though it's still getting a signal. It resets when the signal is killed and resent. Basically it would be wired to an ignition source so it fools the brake into thinking the wire is connected for whatever time you have it set for then automatically cuts power after the predetermined time setting. Again though, this is probably not good for street applications and I think the switch is the safest alternative.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 4doorfury
Well this is my conclusion after days of thinking it over...

I will be keeping it on an intermittent switch that I have hidden in the car. Let me explain...

If I activate said switch, the car can not be started. This is now a hidden safety feature for me. Plus, I feel safer with the switch off while I am driving on public roads. Keeping infiniti's safety features just makes me feel better.

I think the switch can be wired with a momentary power board. They sell them on eBay and Amazon. Basically the board sees power and turns on for anywhere from 1 second to like 5 mins etc however you program it. Then it turns power off even though it's still getting a signal. It resets when the signal is killed and resent. Basically it would be wired to an ignition source so it fools the brake into thinking the wire is connected for whatever time you have it set for then automatically cuts power after the predetermined time setting. Again though, this is probably not good for street applications and I think the switch is the safest alternative.

I like your thought process on potentially improving/tweaking on this mod....I was thinking of wiring it as a foot switch say near the top of the dead pedal or under the dead pedal cover itself (making the pedal an "active" pedal)

EDIT: I just did some googlefu and it looks like this might work pretty well, some guys on a corvette forum have a how too (I think its for an exhaust switch, but same basic concept) https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...with-pics.html

The difference I was thinking about was to wire the switch under the whole pedal instead of drilling (but maybe this needs mroe thought) the pedal just needs a few mm's of movement to engage the circuit

Last edited by Baadnewsburr; 04-21-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:10 PM
4doorfury

It would need to deactivate the power to the line basically immediately when the pedal is pressed. The main purpose of the mod is brake boosting off the line or when turbod. For it to be effective it can not be deactivated at full pedal.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 4doorfury
It would need to deactivate the power to the line basically immediately when the pedal is pressed. The main purpose of the mod is brake boosting off the line or when turbod. For it to be effective it can not be deactivated at full pedal.
I'm not sure if you were replying to me or if I missed something...I wasn't suggesting to wire it to the brake pedal.(I think thats what you are referring )...I was saying to wire a NC momentary switch to the dead pedal (which normally cant be depressed at all)...either by drilling the deadpedal or putting it under it (and modifying the the dead pedal so it could be depressed a few mm)...it would work exactly the same as if you were holding the button with your finger(i.e. ,still deactivate the power to the line immediately when the pedal is pressed with your heel) but you'd hold it with your left foot...it would be a kind of heel (on dead pedal) and toe (on brake pedal) situation while your right foot mashes the gas....
Old 04-22-2017, 12:01 AM
4doorfury

I read it wrong. Thought you were referring to the gas pedal and placing a switch there
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (04-22-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:14 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Just curious of what rpm you can get to while switch activated while trying to launch. If I could get a launch from a higher rpm in my x I could get such a better time at track. Even just a few hundred rpm or till it can brake boost to around 3000 would be incredible.

Originally Posted by Lt8Che
You can use it to brake boost if you're FI and you're AWD can stay on (this is how I will be using it most of the time). Also, I did a DIY on the AWD to RWD switch as well.

Thanks! Awaiting some more "minor" modifications and then videos will start being posted!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by lorentzoe45
Just curious of what rpm you can get to while switch activated while trying to launch. If I could get a launch from a higher rpm in my x I could get such a better time at track. Even just a few hundred rpm or till it can brake boost to around 3000 would be incredible.
I haven’t really played around with it too recently. Been focused on time attack. I’ll have to get out and play with it some.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:30 PM
4doorfury

I know it's a very late reply but you get to about 2k rpm before the tires start to break loose. This is while at the strip. If you do it too long though it makes the auto trans act poorly for the rest of the pass due to excessive heat
Lt8Che (01-03-2019)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:39 PM
beefychicken
Premier Member

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Almost 2 years since the most recent post...ha ha ha, anyway, just completed the mod with no issues. Wanted to share the diagram i put together, it might help someone with this mod in the future. I chose this thread as it aligns best with the diagram. Have fun out there! and let us know if you do this mod and how it works out for you. Edit; forgot to mention, this mod will interfere with starting. You will need to have it switched to normal in order to start; bonus, if you hide the switch it provides a secret antitheft device...

Last edited by beefychicken; 06-25-2020 at 10:56 PM.
BULL (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 10:26 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
This diagram should be copied and pasted in the original post. Thanks Beefy chicken!

On another note I've been thinking of using this spot and install an on/off switch from another Infiniti this was it looks factory. A simple toggle to on when you turn off the car will disable it from starting and no one will be able to figure it out.
Back in the days I used to install toggle switches to ECU fuses behind the hood lever, same concept

PS: does anyone know what switch actually goes in that location?