D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Brake Boost Momentary Switch (Brake Stand Burnouts)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Lindaboy14
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm i just dont wana wire 3 different switches just to burnout lol
Old 10-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Lindaboy14
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can i wire the awd to rwd mod and the traction control off mod to the same switch?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:43 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Lindaboy14
Can i wire the awd to rwd mod and the traction control off mod to the same switch?

You probably can, but I don't think I would want to (just incase).
Old 10-31-2016, 12:16 PM
GariepyVQ
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wouldn't the rear brakes still interfere with a standing burnout?
Old 10-31-2016, 01:50 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Originally Posted by GariepyVQ
Wouldn't the rear brakes still interfere with a standing burnout?

The rears get overpowered (you will cause your brakes to wear faster)
Old 10-31-2016, 06:58 PM
BHunts

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt8Che
The rears get overpowered (you will cause your brakes to wear faster)
Yes. This is a great cheap and easy mod to allow brake stands but excessive use will definately reek havoc on your rear brakes. I would suggest mainly using it for boosting purposes (for us 7ATs). If you are looking to do burnouts all the time then you might want to look into getting a line lock. It will apply pressure to your front brakes while letting the backs spin freely. It will be a little more costly but your car will be happier for it.
The following users liked this post:
Lt8Che (11-01-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 07:08 PM
GariepyVQ
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BHunts
Yes. This is a great cheap and easy mod to allow brake stands but excessive use will definately reek havoc on your rear brakes. I would suggest mainly using it for boosting purposes (for us 7ATs). If you are looking to do burnouts all the time then you might want to look into getting a line lock. It will apply pressure to your front brakes while letting the backs spin freely. It will be a little more costly but your car will be happier for it.
Ah ok that makes more sense. I think I'm set with just popping my clutch for now haha
Old 04-15-2017, 04:49 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
If this switch doesn't actually kill the brake lights while being used I believe you could wire a relay that while the brake pedal is depressed it would allow for the same outcome. The relay would act as the switch and this would allow for effortless switch engagement whenever you want it. Am I wrong here?
Old 04-16-2017, 12:08 AM
4doorfury

Depending on the continuity of that pink wire, either of those relay setups would work utilizing the brake light as the signal source. This means you could trip the wire when you depress the brake pedal so it will work as if there never was a safety feature present to begin with. It would also keep you from needing a switch to press while doing a burn out which to me is actually safer. I will be attempting this over the next few days and will get back to you guys.

Edit: after further thinking, the brake light would not be the appropriate source. I think I will need to tap the starter signal wire to trick the car into thinking the pink line is intact while starting and then it will disconnect once running automatically.

Last edited by 4doorfury; 04-16-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:15 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Originally Posted by 4doorfury

Depending on the continuity of that pink wire, either of those relay setups would work utilizing the brake light as the signal source. This means you could trip the wire when you depress the brake pedal so it will work as if there never was a safety feature present to begin with. It would also keep you from needing a switch to press while doing a burn out which to me is actually safer. I will be attempting this over the next few days and will get back to you guys.

Edit: after further thinking, the brake light would not be the appropriate source. I think I will need to tap the starter signal wire to trick the car into thinking the pink line is intact while starting and then it will disconnect once running automatically.
Post up what you end up figuring out! I've been playing around with EcuTek and think that it may negate having to even have this mod, haha.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:47 AM
4doorfury

Alright, so the signal is sent when you depress the brake pedal. The signal is 12v when brake depressed, 0 volt when not pressing the brake. The car needs to see the 12 volt signal in order to start but once running does not need it. So I need to setup the relay to supply power only while the car is cranking, or for at least 5 seconds during start up process. I am tired AF right now...Anyone care to use their brain to assist me? I will continue attempting to use mine but just came off a 14 hour shift.

Edit: because my brain is fried I just did the basic toggle switch deal. I will put more thought into this over the next few days and come up with a solution. On another note, my car leaves 2 nice solid black marks on the pavement when power braking and launching now. Weird, I have an open diff. The road was dry as a bone and I tried multiple times with same results.

Last edited by 4doorfury; 04-18-2017 at 01:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BULL (04-15-2020)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:54 PM
4doorfury

Someone help me come up with ideas of items that are powered on ONLY while the engine is running. I may be able to use the starter relay to make this work however that requires wiring from the engine bay back into the car. I need to find something inside the car for the easiest install.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:01 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by 4doorfury
Someone help me come up with ideas of items that are powered on ONLY while the engine is running. I may be able to use the starter relay to make this work however that requires wiring from the engine bay back into the car. I need to find something inside the car for the easiest install.
Tap into the power outlet? Would only be on with car in ACC/ON. Maybe seat heaters so it's only when ON and not in ACC if that matters?
Old 04-19-2017, 02:32 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Tap into the power outlet? Would only be on with car in ACC/ON. Maybe seat heaters so it's only when ON and not in ACC if that matters?
Don't heated seats work in acc?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Don't heated seats work in acc?
I thought they only worked with ignition in on position, but I may very well be incorrect. Pull from rear defrost? I know that doesn't work in acc.

Quick Reply: DIY: Brake Boost Momentary Switch (Brake Stand Burnouts)