D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Brake Boost Momentary Switch (Brake Stand Burnouts)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
So to be clear, you hold the button, brake boost/burnout and then let go when your done, that's it? No need to turn the car off and the brake lights work etc? This is too good to be true lol
Old 05-23-2016, 01:55 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Yup, just hold the button for brake boost. No crazy power cycling or anything needed.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Brake Boost Momentary Switch (Brake Stand Burnouts)

Please keep in mind this is not my final set up. This is a temp solution for my car.

I took apart an old tread mill and it just so happened to have an on off switch. Anyway I incorporated that into my quick wire job. All brake lights work as they should. And idk if I am supposed to or not, but no lights or notifications on the dash when the switch is off.

Now the embarrassing part.... I am a 6 speed and for the life of me, i cannot get the car to do a stand burnout. I keep stalling the car or burning the clutch. Any advise? Of course I know the obvious. Needs a new driver mod! Could it be my 285s?
Attached Thumbnails Brake Boost Momentary Switch (Brake Stand Burnouts)-20160523_165329.jpg   Brake Boost Momentary Switch (Brake Stand Burnouts)-20160523_165334.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 01:32 AM
mrig37

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Please keep in mind this is not my final set up. This is a temp solution for my car.

I took apart an old tread mill and it just so happened to have an on off switch. Anyway I incorporated that into my quick wire job. All brake lights work as they should. And idk if I am supposed to or not, but no lights or notifications on the dash when the switch is off.

Now the embarrassing part.... I am a 6 speed and for the life of me, i cannot get the car to do a stand burnout. I keep stalling the car or burning the clutch. Any advise? Of course I know the obvious. Needs a new driver mod! Could it be my 285s?
The 285s shouldn't have anything to do. Since your 6speed it should be easier. Rev it up pop the clutch hit the brakes and roast the tires
Old 05-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Works! I installed an on/off toggle switch and with the switch off I can spin tires to my heart's desire!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

So I got to thinking... opening the circuit does not mess with the brake lights?

Once a switch is installed, is there any reason to close the circuit (layman's terms: turn it "on")?

Am I missing something?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:48 PM
mrig37

I have the toggle switch you do want to put it back to the normal position as the switch will act like a kill switch and your car won't start if left on the off position
Old 08-13-2016, 03:59 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Hum weird, I can still street my car with the circuit open.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:19 PM
mrig37

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Hum weird, I can still street my car with the circuit open.
Yea you can still street do everything normal with the circuit open
Old 08-14-2016, 01:18 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Sorry typo, street was supposed to be start.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:39 PM
BHunts

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok guys, I need a hand figuring this one out. Not with the process of adding this switch, that is pretty straight forward but more so with the fact if this is actually going to allow me to do this or not.

I know that there are people having success with this working for them and there are also a couple I have noticed in other areas of the forum that it does not work for. Since this is supposed to be the same as puling the stop light fuse but keeps the functionality of the lights themselves, I went ahead and just pulled the fuse first to test it out (after going to the supply shop to get all the material required for this first.. lol). Upon trying this first to test out if it would work for me or not I discovered that my car will not allow me to rev past 1900 still before bogging down so I went one step further and pulled the VDC/ABS fuse under the hood by the battery thinking that would help solve the problem (and help mimic disabling the yaw sensor if I am not mistaken.. if I am please correct me). So still no luck being able to do a standing burnout or even just a brake boost

So I'm confused as to why this is not working for me and wondering if adding the switches for brake and yaw sensor are even worth it for me at this point? And would it have anything to do with the year or model that I have? It's a 2012 IPL 7AT and I've noticed that most people this is working for are mostly earlier models. Can someone please enlighten me on my situation and help me get ready to track this thing?

**UPDATE**

Well after a little more digging I found the solution. I found this post which helped me to figure it out.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...launching.html
It would seem that the stop light fuse was not what allows the standing burnouts. I pulled the 4 pin connector at the top of the brake pedal and "hallelujah" problem solved!! So this leads me to believe that the pink wire going into the fuse panel simply goes to the pedal sensor which is why the brake lights still work and this really has nothing to do with the stop light fuse.
Now I'm off to finish installing the switches. Thanks for all the write ups guys and making this forum a pleasure to be a part of. Everyone seems to be so awesome with sharing info and helping others! Check ya later peeps!

Last edited by BHunts; 08-28-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Solved my problem
Old 08-28-2016, 06:25 PM
mrig37

Shouldn't have any trouble doing it. I did it and it worked
Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Originally Posted by BHunts
Ok guys, I need a hand figuring this one out. Not with the process of adding this switch, that is pretty straight forward but more so with the fact if this is actually going to allow me to do this or not.

I know that there are people having success with this working for them and there are also a couple I have noticed in other areas of the forum that it does not work for. Since this is supposed to be the same as puling the stop light fuse but keeps the functionality of the lights themselves, I went ahead and just pulled the fuse first to test it out (after going to the supply shop to get all the material required for this first.. lol). Upon trying this first to test out if it would work for me or not I discovered that my car will not allow me to rev past 1900 still before bogging down so I went one step further and pulled the VDC/ABS fuse under the hood by the battery thinking that would help solve the problem (and help mimic disabling the yaw sensor if I am not mistaken.. if I am please correct me). So still no luck being able to do a standing burnout or even just a brake boost

So I'm confused as to why this is not working for me and wondering if adding the switches for brake and yaw sensor are even worth it for me at this point? And would it have anything to do with the year or model that I have? It's a 2012 IPL 7AT and I've noticed that most people this is working for are mostly earlier models. Can someone please enlighten me on my situation and help me get ready to track this thing?

**UPDATE**

Well after a little more digging I found the solution. I found this post which helped me to figure it out.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...launching.html
It would seem that the stop light fuse was not what allows the standing burnouts. I pulled the 4 pin connector at the top of the brake pedal and "hallelujah" problem solved!! So this leads me to believe that the pink wire going into the fuse panel simply goes to the pedal sensor which is why the brake lights still work and this really has nothing to do with the stop light fuse.
Now I'm off to finish installing the switches. Thanks for all the write ups guys and making this forum a pleasure to be a part of. Everyone seems to be so awesome with sharing info and helping others! Check ya later peeps!

Good update, there are probably differences in model years because it seems hit or miss for people. Digging through wiring diagrams and other people accounts is confusing so I wrote this up to try and help out.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:56 PM
Lindaboy14
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So question, if i do this and the tractiom control switch, do i still need to do the AWD to RWD as well? Or will these 2 switches be good for burnouts??
Old 10-28-2016, 03:00 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Originally Posted by Lindaboy14
So question, if i do this and the tractiom control switch, do i still need to do the AWD to RWD as well? Or will these 2 switches be good for burnouts??

That's a good question. I haven't been able to properly test this, but I know it'll let you brake boost while still maintaining AWD, but if you break the rear loose it may cue the fronts to catch.

Quick Reply: DIY: Brake Boost Momentary Switch (Brake Stand Burnouts)