D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Contrasting Shift Boot Stitching

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
DIY: Contrasting Shift Boot Stitching

1: Go to craft store and get supplies. I got 321 embroidery floss and a 3-4 gauge needle. Cost ~$3

2: Take off shift boot. Disconnect shifter by pulling down on the silver ring on the shift boot and it will unsnap. Put car in Neutral to give yourself more room. Now take off the little retaining metal clip holding on the shifter. The shifter will come out now by pressing the shifter button and pulling up. Next gather up the slack of the shift boot towards the cup holder. Dig your fingers down into leather and up under the center console and pull up. It will unsnap and you can pull out the whole bottom silver part of the center console.

Now you have to disconnect 2 wire harnesses attaching the shifter plate to the center console. Once all the way out and disconnected move onto step 3.

3: Now isolate the shift boot. You will need to turn the center console piece upside down and take off 4 screws. Once screws are removed you will be able to take out the shift boot. The boot itself is connected by the screws and little tabs that go through the leather. Its easy to remove. Now that you have the shift boot out, turn it inside out, and cut off the wire tie holding the silver trim ring (the one that is right below the shift ****).

4: Now the painful part. Stitching in the red (or whatever color you choose) string. Start at the top and do your best to stitch using the factory holes. Make sure you sew both sides.

5: Once complete reverse all the steps and re-install.

Here is a picture for reference on how the leather mounts on the inside base.

And here is the completed project. Sorry for the crappy cell pics.

Good Luck!

Mods: Sorry for putting this in the sedan section. I figure it can go in the Interior section, DIY section, or the sedan section. Since I own and did this on my sedan, I put it here.

Last edited by Redpit; 09-06-2013 at 10:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
krazyfiend (09-29-2015)
Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Oh, wow. Love it, Redpit.

You're making me want to go look at my 6MT boot now.... [edit] which is tan, or putty, color since I have a 2011 w/Stone Leather. On the 6MT, there are 3 diverging lines of stitching in the leather boot. I think against the tan leather, that would look good in white.

Very interesting thread.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-04-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:44 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
very cool, thanks for the write-up! that looks great, too. big props for an original idea. not sure what colour i'd go for if i was to do it, maybe white?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Redpit

Originally Posted by Rochester
Oh, wow. Love it, Redpit.

You're making me want to go look at my 6MT boot now.... [edit] which is tan, or putty, color since I have a 2011 w/Stone Leather. On the 6MT, there are 3 diverging lines of stitching in the leather boot. I think against the tan leather, that would look good in white.

Very interesting thread.
Thanks. Yeah on your white G I would definitely go with white. For me it was a toss up between red and white.

Originally Posted by canucklehead
very cool, thanks for the write-up! that looks great, too. big props for an original idea. not sure what colour i'd go for if i was to do it, maybe white?
Yeah I wish I could take total credit, but I did a similar thing on my GTI thanks to another forum.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I really want to do this. Looking for instructions on how to remove the shifter boot on the 6MT...
Old 09-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

(bump)

So now I know how to remove the shifter **** on the 6MT... and can't actually do it myself. It's stuck.

I swung by INFINITI today, and asked them if they would remove it. The techs both rolled their eyes and said, "Not with a guarantee." In their experience, it's a 50:50 gamble on whether or not the **** rips up in the process.

So it seems this stitching mod will have to go on the shelf for a while, as part of a shift-**** replacement. The NISMO Titanium rod shift **** is pretty appealing.

I'm still jealous, Redpit. Even went out and purchased white embroidery and needles just for this occasion. Damn it.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Redpit

^ That's disappointing, but at least paves the way to a shift **** mod eventually.

On the flip side, score one for the automatic. Bringing the score to:

2 automatics vs 1000 manuals. Gotta give us the cup holders and now shift boot.

Last edited by Redpit; 09-17-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Redpit
^ That's disappointing, but at least paves the way to a shift **** mod eventually.

On the flip side, score one for the automatic. Bringing the score to:

2 automatics vs 1000 manuals. Gotta give us the cup holders and now shift boot.
LOL, so true... I wouldn't trade my 6MT into a 7AT for anything.

I'll get there with this shift boot mod eventually, Redpit.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Redpit

Also did you find this thread? Seems like it could be helpful.

NISMO Titanium Shift **** installed!!!! - Nissan 370Z Forum

I'm always messing with my shift boot and shifter in all my cars. I figure its the number one thing I see on a daily basis. Here's my old RX-8's custom **** and boot for shifts and giggles, i'm punny.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:33 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
was just wondering the other day why all my leather except the shift boot has contrasting gray thread. thanks for the writeup. cool project.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
(bump)

So now I know how to remove the shifter **** on the 6MT... and can't actually do it myself. It's stuck.

I swung by INFINITI today, and asked them if they would remove it. The techs both rolled their eyes and said, "Not with a guarantee." In their experience, it's a 50:50 gamble on whether or not the **** rips up in the process.

So it seems this stitching mod will have to go on the shelf for a while, as part of a shift-**** replacement. The NISMO Titanium rod shift **** is pretty appealing.

I'm still jealous, Redpit. Even went out and purchased white embroidery and needles just for this occasion. Damn it.
Please excuse the mess, the windows are down most of the time. Instead of the black rubber ring I saw a post using a part from a door stopper. It almost looks like it was meant to be there. I just contacted a local shop about a custom shift and e-brake boot. They won't do a thicker steering wheel however to complete the interior but Red Line Goods has some great looking products.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 PM
mikaly
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Great job. Looks great!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by mikaly
Great job. Looks great!
Thanks for the bump, because I completely missed rks' post and pics.

Originally Posted by rks
Please excuse the mess, the windows are down most of the time. Instead of the black rubber ring I saw a post using a part from a door stopper. It almost looks like it was meant to be there. I just contacted a local shop about a custom shift and e-brake boot. They won't do a thicker steering wheel however to complete the interior but Red Line Goods has some great looking products.
I think that shifter looks great. And I really like that piece you're using as a base. Very clever.

What are your thoughts on living with that Ti handle? Is the weight noticeably different to you? Do you cup the top, or wrap your hand around the shaft? (God help me, but I don't know how else to ask that.) The thing about the OEM shift **** is that it easily supports either approach, but I suspect with this Ti **** one way would be more right than the other. IDK really, because other than leather **** shifters, the only other thing I had once was a Hurst T-Handle on an old Trans Am. Man, how I loved that shifter.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:21 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Thanks for the bump, because I completely missed rks' post and pics.

I think that shifter looks great. And I really like that piece you're using as a base. Very clever.

What are your thoughts on living with that Ti handle? Is the weight noticeably different to you? Do you cup the top, or wrap your hand around the shaft? (God help me, but I don't know how else to ask that.) The thing about the OEM shift **** is that it easily supports either approach, but I suspect with this Ti **** one way would be more right than the other. IDK really, because other than leather **** shifters, the only other thing I had once was a Hurst T-Handle on an old Trans Am. Man, how I loved that shifter.
lol, I usually just hold it from the top since it is more comfortable for me. Honestly the OEM **** is really well shaped and made and I use it occasionally. I think my wife prefers the OEM and changes it if she is going to be driving the car for a while. The Nismo is well weighted but it is a little short and it does heat up during the summer. I'm still looking into getting my shist boot re-stitched and also adding a nice e-brake boot as well.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:46 PM
FRChilln

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. Followed it as instructed and turned out great.

Quick Reply: DIY: Contrasting Shift Boot Stitching