D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Water in Trunk! Sunroof? Tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 08:14 PM
kickin_it
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Water in Trunk! Sunroof? Tail lights?

I was lucky enough to find water in trunk/spare tire area. I started looking around and found some condensation along the roof line on the passenger side to the rear of the vehicle behind the headliner. After recently fixing the front sunroof drains my brain instantly went to rear drain/tubes as the culprit. So I decided to drop the headliner and investigate the sunroof drains coming off of the tray corners. (Un)fortunately, nothing too abnormal though the passenger side rear drain was a bit loose. I added some clear silicone to the corner tips and replaced the tubes on the corners. I still need to do a water hose test on things before I replace the headliner. Any who, here are some pics of the drains and sunroof tray assembly for reference.

Front Drains

Rear Drains

Back to the trunk, pulled up the "trunk rear plate" and found water trail all leading from the driver's side tail light seal. So I pull the light out and clean things up real good and tried replacing the light and tighten things done real good. No good. I recently had to replace the passenger side light assembly due to cracked lens from the lawn mower. I used the heat gun at about 450 to soften the glue on the old tail light gasket; Removed it, flipped it over, and placed on the leaky headlight housing, essentially doubling the gaskets. Put the light back in and tightened everything down and the leak is gone.

Water in trunk

water under rear plate

water from tail light seal leak

water from tail light seal leak

tail light dual gasket flipped