D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: G37 Automatic Transmission Fluid Change, Pan Drop/Clean

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 07:19 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I wanted to confirm that it was for labor & parts. It is, 159.95 so a little more than I first heard. I can't find my records on my last drain and fill. I had the flush done around 167k Probably did the drain and fill around 200k and now it has 219615 or so. I plan on taking in a week or two. Right around when it hits 220k I intend on having the suspension replaced this year as well. I have Tein Flex Z Coilovers, I think that is the name of them. Bought some sway bar links. I plan on getting a few more items to tighten her up.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:39 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
That's a great price for a drain and fill from an Infiniti dealership @ezbme

Around here, I was quoted the following for up to 5 quarts drain and fill:
$268.90 (Infiniti)
$186.00 (Nissan)

The Nissan dealership is closer and two of the Master Techs from the Infiniti dealer that closed its doors work there.

For this service there is no pan drop, no filter change (btw Raybestos makes a filter and gasket kit). The Infiniti service advisor I work with also said they recently increased the recommended interval to 60K, and that they no longer do "fluid exchanges" (~10 quarts) after the initial exchange in the 30-40K mile range.

I last had mine done at 40K, so they want me to return at 100K. Car is right under 70K now.
I have been debating whether or not to just let the car sit overnight, then jack the front up the next morning and drain all the fluid from the transmission cold (use drain plug, but make sure the fill plug breaks loose as well). If my estimates are correct, that amount will be between 3.5-4 quarts ($40 worth of fluid), which I will then measure and refill through the fill plug the same amount of fluid that was drained out.

I purchased the following a while back to help with the job:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Fluid Pump)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Filler Adapter)

My wife's Honda Pilot destroys ATF because of the VCM (puts rear cylinders to sleep, uses the torque converter to minimize vibration), so I have been following the simple drain and fill procedure (every other oil change, or ~10K) on it for over a year and the transmission works great (note that it does have a dipstick). Feels much simpler than the more elaborate procedure where one lays under the car while its running and fluid drizzles out the fill hole potentially onto the garage floor (as noted in the video below, he also addresses the filter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8vbMpFZOn8

I have yet to find anyone that has taken this "put back what your drained" route, so I'm hesitant. If it's as simple as it appears on the service, I'd perform the service every 10K miles.

I must be overlooking something.
I have the same fluid pump, used it for the diffs before. Got a separate one for the t-case and transmission. It is a good unit. I have the CTA tools: 7425 (Pan adapter) and 7078 (Hose adapter to pump).
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (06-15-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 07:32 AM
Vlad Orlov
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just did this flush at 60k miles, feels much smoother now (maybe placebo?_)
def less jerky 1-2 shift
Old 06-26-2023, 02:38 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Cnewt
ATF fluid includes detergents that will keep the small passages in the transmission clean. In this case, with this many miles on the vehicle, it is possible that there may be some material that could be dislodged with an abundance of new fluid.
If new fluid is introduced a little bit at a time, as opposed to a complete fluid exchange, the idea is to mitigate high amounts of debris dislodged by the new fluid and therefore possibly causing an issue with the transmission.
It would be a gradual cleaning.
I think this is why people are suggesting a triple "flush" with new fluid?
Old 06-26-2023, 05:25 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

You can do a triple flush, but I am a bit cheap. I couldn't find my last invoice, but probably had it done around 20k ago. I will probably wait another 20k unless I decide against it. I had a flush at 160k. They only charged me for 4 qts so I guess that is all they got. I believe the system holds around 9.7 in total
Old 06-26-2023, 08:41 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Just did a a drain and fill on the G at 127K. Last time was at 88K. Fluid had no debris or odd smell, magnets were good.

Had a new pan, pan gasket, pan bolts, and magnets put in (all OEM). The new pan comes with a new drain and fill plug. 7AT took 7 quarts for this drain and fill.

Here is the old fluid, roughly 39K on it, off to be tested.

Last edited by Krzysztof47; 06-27-2023 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:12 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Krzysztof47
Just did a a drain and fill on the G at 127K. Last time was at 88K. Fluid had no debris or odd smell, magnets were good.

Had a new pan, pan gasket, pan bolts, and magnets put in (all OEM). The new pan comes with a new drain and fill plug. 7AT took 7 quarts for this drain and fill.

Here is the old fluid, roughly 39K on it, off to be tested.

Pic didn't come through but I expect it to look slightly darker than out of the bottle fresh. I was going to send mine to Blackstone in a few weeks, 2.3years and 40k on one change. Car has 247k on it.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:06 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Amsoil

I had a couple BMWs on Amsoil. Both of them had issues but I don't think either of them were due to fluid. My 3's reverse gear went out but it was a common problem with that transmission. The five had a weird issue where the pan got warped and was leaking fluid. My mechanic fixed it and put in new fluid.

I am seeing people claiming that their cars ran much better with the Amsoil transmission fluid. Always use the Nissan fluid. The transmission isn't perfect and perhaps it would be better with a new flash. I've had a few rough shifts but the car has almost 220k miles. Perhaps if I had a lift I would change my own.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:01 PM
Krzysztof47
Premier Member

Originally Posted by m3clubracer
Pic didn't come through but I expect it to look slightly darker than out of the bottle fresh. I was going to send mine to Blackstone in a few weeks, 2.3years and 40k on one change. Car has 247k on it.
Should show up, if not might need to try a different browser.

But yes it is dark with a red hue to it.