MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications (https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-installations-modifications-11/)
-   -   DIY: G37 Automatic Transmission Fluid Change, Pan Drop/Clean (https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-installations-modifications/267513-g37-automatic-transmission-fluid-change-pan-drop-clean.html)

blnewt 08-13-2016 05:38 PM

^^^Sounds like a solid plan, The DIY here is based on the FSM procedure
Index of /FSM/G37/Sedan
Index of /FSM/G37/Coupe
Just select year, let it download, then select TM.pdf and scroll to page 267 (at least that is where it is for my 09 Sedan) Under Periodic maintenance/AT Fluid/Changing.
There is also a FSM on cleaning the AT oil cooler w/ a dedicated ATF cleaner spray following the ATF change.

If you do decide to do your ATF service using your past method please post up your experience when done on the 7AT. Should be very similar to the 5AT, but there may be some differences that you find along the way. Keep us posted.

L33 08-16-2016 08:39 PM

I'm potentially looking to moving towards a M37x/Q70 which uses these 7 speeds as well and will do this procedure as Ive done in the past for all of my vehicles as preventative maintenance.

I don't expect any differences since these 7 speeds are used across the whole lineup of infiniti vehicles just like the 5 speed in my M35x found in many Nissan/infiniti vehicles, only thing differed is the rear differential and the valve body in the trucks.

blnewt 03-15-2017 09:44 PM

Dates of the threads are in the upper left black bar on each posting, this thread is almost two years old (in May).

The first question, you will remove drain plug, drain the fluid, then remove & clean pan and pan magnets. You then reinstall the pan w/ the bolts equally torqued to 70in.lbs, and you then install & tighten drain plug to 25 ft. lbs. It drains pretty quick FWIW.

It will be draining on it's own through the fill hole, what you're doing its intentionally over filling it by about 1/4th of a quart, so if you drain 6.25 quarts, you'll add 6.5 quarts, so when you remove the plug to the fill hole you will drain a small amount of ATF. The DIY method works well w/ that tapered cone fitting since you can quickly remove it and thread the plug in.

Hope that makes sense.

dmill86 03-15-2017 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 4117406)
Dates of the threads are in the upper left black bar on each posting, this thread is almost two years old (in May).

The first question, you will remove drain plug, drain the fluid, then remove & clean pan and pan magnets. You then reinstall the pan w/ the bolts equally torqued to 70in.lbs, and you then install & tighten drain plug to 25 ft. lbs. It drains pretty quick FWIW.

It will be draining on it's own through the fill hole, what you're doing its intentionally over filling it by about 1/4th of a quart, so if you drain 6.25 quarts, you'll add 6.5 quarts, so when you remove the plug to the fill hole you will drain a small amount of ATF. The DIY method works well w/ that tapered cone fitting since you can quickly remove it and thread the plug in.

Hope that makes sense.

sorry, I realized shortly after I posted that question that 6qt was the max that could be drained from the drain hole and was not a specific amount that the OP had purposefully drained out. It all makes sense now. For whatever reason I thought the tank held more than 6qt. Hence the confusion. Sorry about that I just understood it wrong.

and as for step 8. I was just never certain as to whether or not the rear end of the car was dropped in order to drain from the fill hole because the OP specifically says that the car is to remain level through step 8. And this was in fact after you had asked him in an earlier post if the car had to be dropped in the rear. that's why I was a little confused. so just for the record, the rear end of the car was dropped in order to drain the 2 qt from the fill plug correct? Thanks for your help btw

blnewt 03-15-2017 11:38 PM

It's been a while since I did the DIY but I didn't do step 8 the way the OP did, he must have suction drained that 2 qts (or had it angled) since he was trying to conserve fluid. I had enough fluid to do the complete 3x drain & fill since I wasn't as angled as he was (my ramps aren't as high as his was on jack stands), so I was draining about a quart less per cycle. Here's my post w/ my details~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ml#post3923814

dmill86 03-16-2017 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 4117430)
It's been a while since I did the DIY but I didn't do step 8 the way the OP did, he must have suction drained that 2 qts (or had it angled) since he was trying to conserve fluid. I had enough fluid to do the complete 3x drain & fill since I wasn't as angled as he was (my ramps aren't as high as his was on jack stands), so I was draining about a quart less per cycle. Here's my post w/ my details~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ml#post3923814

Right! I suppose if you have enough oil why not just do 3 complete drain and fill cycles. Thanks for clarifying that. When the time comes I will be sure to have 20 or more quarts on hand so I can achieve that. Thanks for the link. I will definitely take a look at that.

dmill86 03-17-2017 08:01 PM

hey blnewt, how many miles have you put on your G since you changed the tranny oil? is it still performing well?

blnewt 03-17-2017 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by dmill86 (Post 4117890)
hey blnewt, how many miles have you put on your G since you changed the tranny oil? is it still performing well?

About 20k miles, we have 2 other cars to share mileage so it's not as much as before but it's still performing great.

dmill86 03-18-2017 06:25 AM

Awesome. Good to hear everything is running smoothly. Do you remember how many miles you had on your G when you changed the tranny oil? I will most likely be bringing a 2011xs coupe home today and its got approximately 67k on it.

blnewt 03-19-2017 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by dmill86 (Post 4117954)
Awesome. Good to hear everything is running smoothly. Do you remember how many miles you had on your G when you changed the tranny oil? I will most likely be bringing a 2011xs coupe home today and its got approximately 67k on it.

It was about 75k miles when I serviced it.

dmill86 03-20-2017 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 4118271)
It was about 75k miles when I serviced it.

Thanks blnewt. So I should be safe to change my fluids then. I just wasn't sure if at some point the fluids in the tranny get too old for just a simple drain and fill and would therefore need a flush to dislodge any sediment in the tank. I will definitely be tackling this as one of my first DIYs. Thanks again for your reply.

blnewt 03-20-2017 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by dmill86 (Post 4118368)
Thanks blnewt. So I should be safe to change my fluids then. I just wasn't sure if at some point the fluids in the tranny get too old for just a simple drain and fill and would therefore need a flush to dislodge any sediment in the tank. I will definitely be tackling this as one of my first DIYs. Thanks again for your reply.

Yeah, the 3x drain & fill is the best way to go for that mileage, this will get most of the old fluid out without being too aggressive. After that you could go to a 1x drain & fill every 25k if you want or just wait for another 70k and do the 3x service.

I think I'll just wait till I hit 150k to do mine again as long as it performs as it is currently.

dmill86 03-20-2017 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 4118531)
Yeah, the 3x drain & fill is the best way to go for that mileage, this will get most of the old fluid out without being too aggressive. After that you could go to a 1x drain & fill every 25k if you want or just wait for another 70k and do the 3x service.

I think I'll just wait till I hit 150k to do mine again as long as it performs as it is currently.

perfect. That's what I will do then. Since I'll only be driving the car in the summer I'll likely just change it every 70k as well. Thanks

wind dance 03-28-2017 11:49 PM

Those with the 5spd doing the draining from the drain bolt and refilling from the top port. How much atf came out each time you opened the drain bolt?

Trying to guesstimate how much atf to order for 3x change.
Thanks

blnewt 03-29-2017 08:57 AM

Might check the DIY section at G35driver.com, not sure if there's a change in capacity from the 5AT to 7AT.