MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications (https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-installations-modifications-11/)
-   -   DIY: G37 Automatic Transmission Fluid Change, Pan Drop/Clean (https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-installations-modifications/267513-g37-automatic-transmission-fluid-change-pan-drop-clean.html)

former520 07-27-2015 11:29 PM

It is good to know that it does not require any special equipment. I was under the impression you needed a computer to read the fluid level like a BMW.

The fill style is the same as a Trooper I had. It was a GM Hydromatic I regularly flushed and found it to be an easy solution. Just pump it up a just past what you think and let the over fill drain out. Way better than trying to read a dipstick.

xpcgamer 08-05-2015 09:49 AM

I have to ask but everything I have ever heard was to not flush the tranny fluid. Doing a simple drain and refill would be fine. Do you guys just let the transmission do the flush by running the car and then draining it again? This is different then going to a shop and having them put a machine on the front cooler and then flushing that way correct?

blnewt 08-05-2015 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by xpcgamer (Post 3937042)
I have to ask but everything I have ever heard was to not flush the tranny fluid. Doing a simple drain and refill would be fine. Do you guys just let the transmission do the flush by running the car and then draining it again? This is different then going to a shop and having them put a machine on the front cooler and then flushing that way correct?

This is basically doing a 3x drain & fill to get the majority of the old fluid changed out, this isn't a true flush as you still have some % of the old fluid mixed in. This is based on the Factory Service manual Procedure though so following this DIY is in line w/ what Infiniti recommends.

xpcgamer 08-05-2015 07:52 PM

At what interval? I am at 41K and aside from normal Oil done at the dealer I am sure this wasn't done.

blnewt 08-06-2015 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by xpcgamer (Post 3937287)
At what interval? I am at 41K and aside from normal Oil done at the dealer I am sure this wasn't done.

That's the million dollar question, one that no one seems to have an exact answer :dunno:
Some say 60k miles, some say 100k, some say never, and then you have cash happy dealers saying 30k. I went to almost 75k, my fluid still was somewhat clear, not burned at all. The one big advantage to the DIY is removing/cleaning the pan, the cleaning of the pan magnets should ensure that they will do a better job at removing any metal fragments and cleaning the residue sticking to the pan definitely couldn't hurt.

LexiG37 08-09-2015 01:20 PM

Is there not a fill plug on top of the transmission to make refilling easier? I'd rather let gravity do some of the work.

blnewt 08-09-2015 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by LexiG37 (Post 3938403)
Is there not a fill plug on top of the transmission to make refilling easier? I'd rather let gravity do some of the work.

No, but those fluid pumps aren't too bad TBH, as long as you have a willing helper that is :biggthumpup:

guy from norcal 08-12-2015 02:03 PM

Man this is a great DIY.

Props to Davison and Brad for paving the way for the rest of us. :biggthumpup:

STUNAG37 09-16-2015 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 3938434)
No, but those fluid pumps aren't too bad TBH, as long as you have a willing helper that is :biggthumpup:

Couldn't you use the transmission dipstick hole?

krazyfiend 09-16-2015 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by STUNAG37 (Post 3949915)
Couldn't you use the transmission dipstick hole?

There is none on the 7AT...Only a bottom fed inlet hole on the transmission itself. Hence why this procedure wasn't really considered DIY until the OP and few others forged ahead and said the heck with needing a specific inlet feed tube/pump system as well as a Consult III to measure transmission fluid temps per the service manual. (Simply measure what drains out and put the according amount back in-- so simple, I can't believe I never thought of that).

If there was a transmission level / dip stick... this procedure would basically be as easy as it is for the 6MT.

STUNAG37 09-18-2015 04:13 PM

Oh okay. I have a 5at and it has a dip stick so I'll just use that.

davison0976 09-19-2015 08:45 AM

Thank you all for the comments and a great discussion. I wanted to post a quick update after crossing a 3000 mile mark since the transmission fluid was replaced. Granted it's not much, the transmission is continuing to operate flawlessly. The shifting continues to be both precise and smooth, as smooth as the Nissan's 7AT can be I suppose, given that it's known as not being the smoothest transmission out there to begin with.

There have been no dash board lights coming up of any kind. Nor anything else that would make me either unhappy or concerned. I drive the car fairly hard on occasion, but not in an abusive way. Plus, this summer has been on a hot side, as I've seen 100F+ ambient temperatures multiple times.

blnewt 09-19-2015 12:32 PM

Ditto that^^ got about 3k on mine since as well, no issues, and seemingly better overall performance. Placebo perhaps but at least in my mind it seems to be an improvement.

Bravo at 10-11-2015 09:47 AM

Thank you for this DIY. Worked well. Like you, I had some fine medals and some break aways. Used Royal Purple and swapped the OEM pan out for the Level 10 pan.

blnewt 10-11-2015 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bravo at (Post 3957262)
Thank you for this DIY. Worked well. Like you, I had some fine medals and some break aways. Used Royal Purple and swapped the OEM pan out for the Level 10 pan.

Nice!
Got a pic or a link for that pan, and does it hold more ATF and/or has cooling fins?