D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Sub and Amp Install DIY

Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Post Sub and Amp Install DIY

did this last weekend...thanks to finagle and dieseldoug for all the help.

here's a quick DIY i made for a fellow G-rider

it's actually pretty easy to do...

i picked up some "Quick connects" at i think walmart for like $3-$4...makes for easy splicing..those woofer amp wires are really thin

anyway...

-remove trunk mat and carpet
-remove spare tire
-lower ur rear seat
-in the middle of the trunk towards the back where u just lowered ur rear seat u'll see carpet held down by a plastic piece..that plastic piece is held down by some plastic screws that just pop out with a flat head screwdriver...there's five of them

-then slide that piece out
-remove the big plastic piece on the left side..there's one screw holding it down..that screw is located closest to u if u're standing out side the car..lil 10mm i think
-once that big plastic piece is removed u'll see the bose amps..one on top the other..the lil amp on top is the one u want
-use quick connects and splice ur RCA cut ends (-) to wire #9 and (+) cut end of ur RCA to wire #8.
u can use a single RCA going to ur woofer amp but then u'll need a y-splitter to connect to ur LEFT & RIGHT on ur amp.
Or u can use a dual RCA and just splice the 2 negatives together and the 2 positives together.
-use another quick connect to splice into wire # 3 for remote power

i found it easier to unplug that B43 connector and cutting down some of that black sleeve on it..gives more room to get to those thin wires..to remove that connector, there's a clip u have press to release the connector..the clip is on the bottom..kinda hard to reach..i pressed it with one hand and use a flat head screw driveer to push the connector apart

those are the only wires u'll need to splice to from the woofer amp connector B43.

should look like this diagram..got this pic off JLaudio.com..i am using a JL 500/1

thats basicaly it...run ur power wire from ur battery..i suggest at least 20ft..i feel 20ft is barely enough..u can use a ground in the trunk under those plastic things...and then hook up ur speaker wires from ur amp to ur sub

u can use this great DIY on g35driver as well..that's exactly how i ran my power from the battery..i made a lil snip on the rubber grommet with a pair of scissors and fed the power cable thru it
http://g35driver.com/forums/audio-vi...g35-coupe.html

again, Big thanks to dieseldoug and finagle...they helped me alot...also to that DIY on driver

Last edited by MaxToTheG37; 03-25-2009 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ratherunique85 (06-30-2014)
Old 03-25-2009, 01:09 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MAde this into its own thread... DIY...

GJ NAM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:20 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
good move.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:49 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definately a good move!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

cool! i got my own DIY

actually credit goes to DieselDoug and Finagle for their expertise...and also the thread from g35driver
Old 03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
jnguyen

Nam u want install mine for me when I come down haha I still haven't yet
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jnguyen
Nam u want install mine for me when I come down haha I still haven't yet
if u're in town...let me know

i can wire it up for you so when u ready to install ur sub and amp all u gotta do is hook up the wires
Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 AM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[
if u're in town...let me know

i can wire it up for you so when u ready to install ur sub and amp all u gotta do is hook up the wires
oh alright thanks man. i will be down soon. Just got order my HFC from tony and front camber kit which should be in next week or after and im head down to clearlake to get it all install. been doing appearance and sound/performance mod before i got to the Sub and stuff so i have bought the sub and amp yet but im buy it as soon i install my HFC when i get back to BR
Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

nam,

do you have any more pics of the rca you used? thats the part i am needing help with...
Old 03-26-2009, 03:35 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
nam,

do you have any more pics of the rca you used? thats the part i am needing help with...
my wiring kit actually came with a dual rca wire. sorry dont have any pics of my actual RCA

what you can do with the dual rca is cut one end of the rca wire which will leave you with 4 wires......a Left + and - and a Right + and -

so you can actually take the two negatives and wire them up together and take the two positives and wire them up together, and that'll work out fine cus the other end will already have dual rca

or you can do like the diagram and get a long single rca and cut one end...you will end up with two wires, a + and - but you will need a splitter, which i bought at best buy in teh audio section.
looks like this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1208562369081

does this help Max?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Great post!
Old 03-26-2009, 05:18 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been looking into getting a sub here lately and after seeing this it seems like it isnt too hard to do. I've never really done any audio installs at least in cars. I do home theatre setups all the time, but dont know how similar it is. Is this something pretty easy that most people will be able to do? Also how exactly do those quick connect things work? Will i have to cut or splice any wires? And doing it this way will you be able to have any control over the sub level? Thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 01:18 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
I've been looking into getting a sub here lately and after seeing this it seems like it isnt too hard to do. I've never really done any audio installs at least in cars. I do home theatre setups all the time, but dont know how similar it is. Is this something pretty easy that most people will be able to do? Also how exactly do those quick connect things work? Will i have to cut or splice any wires? And doing it this way will you be able to have any control over the sub level? Thanks
i've never done audio installs either...got some tips here and driver and did it myself...not hard at all

quick connects work by splicing the wires so that you dont have to do it...you just put the wires thru it and close it with a plier..the metal clips inside them will splice the wires

sublevel is controlled by the JL volume ****
which i mounted here:

more pics can be found on my cardomain page
Old 03-27-2009, 07:20 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

yea that helped.... do you have any pics of you single rca soldered?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice post man.. but what are all the cables I need to buy, I found these 2-channel audio interconnect cable but I don't know if I need that. Also a couple people told me that walmart has kits with everything uou need, I guess ill need to check that out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Sub and Amp Install DIY