D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Full Brake Job

Old 04-02-2014, 10:30 AM
MrJCole13
Premier Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I am going to try and tackle this myself. My new Rotors came in last night so I called a few brake shops and most wouldnt do the work with customer supplied parts but one would but he wanted 425.00 to do everything, pads, rotors and lines.

I am not worried about the pads and rotors, I am just nervous about the lines. Ill watch all the videos on youtube and read everything here before I start.

Any tools you guys think I will need specifically for this job that isnt in the typical garage. I like to think I have a lot but I know there may be some more uncommon tools for this job. Anything you can think of? Thanks again
Old 04-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJCole13
I am going to try and tackle this myself. My new Rotors came in last night so I called a few brake shops and most wouldnt do the work with customer supplied parts but one would but he wanted 425.00 to do everything, pads, rotors and lines.

I am not worried about the pads and rotors, I am just nervous about the lines. Ill watch all the videos on youtube and read everything here before I start.

Any tools you guys think I will need specifically for this job that isnt in the typical garage. I like to think I have a lot but I know there may be some more uncommon tools for this job. Anything you can think of? Thanks again
Use a flare nut wrench on the brake line fittings and bleeder nipples to avoid rounding them off. You do NOT want that. The reason being that they are soft and round off relatively easy. Don't over tighten them either, just tight enough to hold securely.

I'm not sure of the size you'll need, but it's either 8, 10, or 12 mm. I can't remember. You can put a regular wrench on there to get the right size to buy.

Since you are replacing the lines, buy plenty of brake fluid to flush out all of the air you are going to introduce into the system. I'd buy about 6 quarts if it were me, just to make sure I don't have to make another trip back to the store. While you're there I suggest buying a bottle of synthetic brake grease. Use it liberally on the pad shims, pins, clips, and piston heads to prevent noises. The little packets you buy aren't really enough. Bleed them in the correct order (RR, FL, RL, FR).

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
MrJCole13 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 03:19 AM
dtran2714
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I plan on replacing pads and rotors in a few months.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:35 AM
Ontario G37S

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I did my brakes, lines and bleed last year. The only part that got me stuck for a bit was the rear rotors as they were stubborn to come off the hub even after adjusting the parking brake.

Hopefully you wont have the same issue, but if you do, I found this video very helpful to get them off. I know they mention 1/2" bolt, but if I remember correctly, I had to go down one size for our G and you can only get one nut on the bolt (the bolt rests on the rotor, not the nut as per the video).

Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
I've been watching a few videos in preparation for doing a full brake job. Some of the videos have the guys using a special hub cleaner for cleaning up any debris or rust from the hub mating surface, they're also measuring the rotor runout. Do you guys recommend doing that, or is it something I can probably get away with?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
When I did mine, the rotors were a little bit difficult to get off. I would recommend using PB Blast or WD-40. A rubber mallet hammer also is helpful for knocking the old rotors loose. I used a dremel tool with a gentle wire brush to clean off any rust on the hub and mounting surface which worked well. I didn't do the runout test as I was installing brand new rotors. They were the RacingBrake 2-piece. The rears were a major pain to cut the dust shield.
The following 2 users liked this post by twin_snails:
GoFightNguyen (04-29-2014), MrJCole13 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:50 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
A thin film of synthetic grease on hub where the rotor rides should help with rust in the future.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 03:47 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
A thin film of synthetic grease on hub where the rotor rides should help with rust in the future.
Thank you for that tip Jsolo! I hadn't even thought about doing that but that is the perfect solution to the rust problem.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
Thank you for that tip Jsolo! I hadn't even thought about doing that but that is the perfect solution to the rust problem.
Would using synthetic brake grease/lube work for this? Or maybe some anti-seize?

I am getting ready to do this. Getting these rotors off seems like it may be a challenge.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Honestly man, it's not that hard. I followed this video on youtube:

The guy was very detailed and his camera angle helps out a lot. I did take it to a shop however to do the brake flush. I needed to change the fluid anyways. Like every other DIY, it was such a mmppph when you get it done yourself. Like F*** yeah I just did that.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I've been watching a few videos in preparation for doing a full brake job. Some of the videos have the guys using a special hub cleaner for cleaning up any debris or rust from the hub mating surface, they're also measuring the rotor runout. Do you guys recommend doing that, or is it something I can probably get away with?
Let me know what day you plan on doing it, I'll come by and help you out, if you like. Check out the vid I posted just now.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Regarding the grease film on the hub; I just used whatever I had on hand on the last car. IIRC, it was synthetic wheel bearing grease. All you're trying to do is provide a barrier between the two surfaces to keep rust from forming.