D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Whiteline Differential bushings

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 03:24 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I got my kit and plan on doing this soon, seems super easy. My questions are

What and where do i need to lube on the bushings and which kind of lube to use, upon installing the new bushings back. The few videos i watched talk about lubing some parts.

Also, i was wondering if i can take care of that clicking noise we all know of while i do this job at the same time.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:07 AM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by staskz
I got my kit and plan on doing this soon, seems super easy. My questions are

What and where do i need to lube on the bushings and which kind of lube to use, upon installing the new bushings back. The few videos i watched talk about lubing some parts.

Also, i was wondering if i can take care of that clicking noise we all know of while i do this job at the same time.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/tsb-tec...ear-axles.html

Do this it works.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:57 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
so according to most people here, the thick goes on the bottom. However this gentleman points out that the thick has to go on top to not have any vibrations or noise. Can we confirm the best way?

Originally Posted by Veloz G
Here are my follow-up results of the two WL bushing configurations on a 2009 G37 Sport Coupe 6MT:

Thin top/thick bottom bushing w/ metal top hat washer b/t chassis and thin top bushing: very minor acceleration rumble. The rumble is not loud or intrusive but it is there.

Thick top/thin bottom bushing: No acceleration rumble...noise level most similar to OEM bushing. I'm sticking with this!

Addition of the metal top hat washer (upper stopper) to the thin top/thick bottom bushing config. reduced some of the acceleration rumble but not all of it.

All bolts were torqued to OEM specs (74 ft.lbs). The rubber washer (lower stopper) was omitted in both configs. This is my personal vehicle and is in stock form (tires and suspension). It has had a relatively dull life compared to you guys and has never been tracked, abused or in a collision. Hope this info helps folks.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:56 AM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
When you compare spacing of the OEM bushing to the body it would appear that the thicker one is supposed to be between the diff and the body with the thinner one toward the ground. That is how I am installing mine

Side question, what are the torque specs for the diff cover bolts and the fill/drain plugs?
Old 07-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Anybody experiencing loud squeeking and groaning noises with these bushings? Mine were installed over two months ago. During that time I've been hearing this annoying noise more and more, to the point now where I want to do something about it. Is it these bushings? IDK, but it's a reasonable explanation. It manifests when the car is moving around at low speeds, like a parking lot, my driveway, or just coming to a stop.

I think I'm going to spray them with penetrating oil, and see if it affects the problem. Noises like this can be any number of things, I know that, but the timeline is suspicious.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:08 PM
4doorfury

Are the fat bushings on top for you? I have no noise at all
Old 07-23-2017, 05:02 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I would try WD-40 before p-oil. Oil is damaging to rubber/ plastics. WD-40 being silicone based, won't damage the bushings and should lubricate at least enough for you to hear if that is the source of the noise.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
Are the fat bushings on top for you? I have no noise at all
Installed opposite the whiteline instructions, according to everyone's advice here.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by SomeName
I would try WD-40 before p-oil. Oil is damaging to rubber/ plastics. WD-40 being silicone based, won't damage the bushings and should lubricate at least enough for you to hear if that is the source of the noise.
WD-40 is petroleum based.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:20 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn. I've been believing that for years. It was a good explanation for why it didn't work very good.
The following users liked this post:
Crazyirish (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 01:42 PM
4doorfury

I would use white lithium grease made for marine applications. Sticks well and lubricates well. Been using it on my sway bar bushings for a while no issues
Old 07-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I would use white lithium grease made for marine applications. Sticks well and lubricates well. Been using it on my sway bar bushings for a while no issues
Not doing this until after my new RR-56 Race Ramps show up... because I can't get the back end up on my old ramps due to the width of the 275's in the rear. However, the plan is to use this stuff here. My mechanic buddy gave me a can of it while I was visiting up in Canada last weekend. He swears by it, and I trust his judgement. He has a case of the stuff, because mechanic.

https://www.krown.com/products/aeros...and-lubricant/

The other thing I'm waiting on the ramps for is to drain & replace the diff gear oil. So... a couple of related things here that I want to address.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Anybody experiencing loud squeeking and groaning noises with these bushings? Mine were installed over two months ago. During that time I've been hearing this annoying noise more and more, to the point now where I want to do something about it. Is it these bushings? IDK, but it's a reasonable explanation. It manifests when the car is moving around at low speeds, like a parking lot, my driveway, or just coming to a stop.

I think I'm going to spray them with penetrating oil, and see if it affects the problem. Noises like this can be any number of things, I know that, but the timeline is suspicious.

you may want to try re greasing them....the energy suspension grease and or the Hotchkis swaybar bushing grease (which I understand for other people's posts is Super Lube at Harbor Freight), should quiet them down...they should have come with a tiny packet of grease, but considering all the stuff you had done at once and the fact that it was a multi-day job I wouldn't be surprised if your mechanic forgot about it and put them in dry (the oem bushings are dry)

I have to say that I didn't experience any such noises but it could just be my interpretation of your description/I didn't notice
Old 07-24-2017, 04:38 PM
4doorfury

Rochester, use this...

It stayed on my bushings for my sways for about a year without issues. It was still there when I regreased but I wanted all fresh so I cleaned them first
Old 07-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hashim
you may want to try re greasing them....the energy suspension grease and or the Hotchkis swaybar bushing grease (which I understand for other people's posts is Super Lube at Harbor Freight), should quiet them down...they should have come with a tiny packet of grease, but considering all the stuff you had done at once and the fact that it was a multi-day job I wouldn't be surprised if your mechanic forgot about it and put them in dry (the oem bushings are dry)

I have to say that I didn't experience any such noises but it could just be my interpretation of your description/I didn't notice
I wasn't there for the install. The bushings did come with grease, and I gave him a small tub of Energy Suspension pre-lube to re-grease the swaybar bushings, which I can see that he did. So I can only assume he greased the diff bushings during the install as well, but I should ask anyway.

Rochester, use this...
It stayed on my bushings for my sways for about a year without issues. It was still there when I regreased but I wanted all fresh so I cleaned them first
If I have to re-grease, then sure, I'll try that. But for now all I want to do is spray them and see if the lubricant seeps in. If it has a positive impact on the noise, then that's a for-sure answer to the problem, although maybe a temporary solution.

And thanks for the feedback and ideas, guys. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: DIY: Whiteline Differential bushings