D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Reset Flashing Supplement Air Bag Warning Light

Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
EmoPrairieDog

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Reset Flashing Supplement Air Bag Warning Light

Is this flashing for you?

Hoping to save others some time..Didn't see any other threads on this..
This worked on my 2009 G37S 6MT

Repeat the following steps 3 or 4 times.
  1. Turn the ignition to ON (not to acc and no need to start the engine)
  2. Wait 7 seconds until the air bag light goes out and immediately turn the ignition off ( You have 1 second to turn it off)
  3. Wait 3 seconds before repeating

Voila! However, if your light continues to blink or maintains solidly lit, then you might want to see your dealer or diagnose further.. My case was the following:

The other day I was running some wiring and left one of the related harnesses unplugged and had turned back on the power which caused the supplemental air bag warning light to start flashing. Very annoying. I found about six ways to "fix" this online ranging from random things with the doors, starting the engine in a certain sequence, removing the negative terminal cable ..etc ...but the steps I listed above are the only ones that actually reset it for me.

The true credit for this information here: Nissan Air Bag Resetting | Nissanhelp.com
The following 6 users liked this post by EmoPrairieDog:
Black Betty (05-04-2013), Legz (03-03-2018), RazG (03-20-2017), Sway (06-30-2020), Tim30250 (06-27-2015), Yan141 (06-04-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
ilovemyg37

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
thank you worked perfect for me!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Ryno23

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Just needed to use this also and it worked like a gem! Thanks!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Hooray! I have been looking at that airbag light for a very long time since I removed my front seats to clean the carpet ages ago. It's been on ever since then and is amazingly annoying. I just saw this thread for the first time and was able to use the instructions to get it to turn off. Thanks a million.

However the instructions could use a little bit of clarification. I found them at the link provided in the first post and they are a little more specific about a couple things that I think makes a difference.

1. Turn the ignition from off to on (it is not necessary to start the car, keep your foot off of the clutch or brake) You'll need to press the start button twice quickly in succession to do this.

2. Watch the airbag light closely with your finger on the start button. It will stay on for a few seconds. As soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), immediately press the button to turn off the ignition. Turning it off immediately after it goes dark and before the first flash is important.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now on the 4th cycle, turn the ignition on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, much slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing. If not, wait about one minute and then begin the procedure all over again try it again until it does work.

Now in the stickies.
The following 3 users liked this post by Black Betty:
*ICE* (03-12-2014), CHILLGrandpa (06-08-2023), lechner80 (09-29-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 03:49 PM
XIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wrapped my steering wheel bezel in the carbon fiber wrap and am having a heck of a time resetting my airbag light. I have achieved the "slower" blink status but I can't get it to stop blinking... I go through the steps again and then it goes back to the rapid blinking,,, go through them again and get back to the slower blinking again but still can't get past that.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!!
Old 05-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by XIS
I wrapped my steering wheel bezel in the carbon fiber wrap and am having a heck of a time resetting my airbag light. I have achieved the "slower" blink status but I can't get it to stop blinking... I go through the steps again and then it goes back to the rapid blinking,,, go through them again and get back to the slower blinking again but still can't get past that.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!!
You need to be a little better with the description of what's happening. Once you got the "slower" blink, was it constantly slow or did it change?

When do you get the "rapid" blinking? Do you get it in the diagnostic mode?

The above method will only work for cars after all functional airbags and sensors have been reattached and no further problem is detected.
The following users liked this post:
XIS (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 04:37 PM
XIS

Thanks for the reply. I know the one time I just let it blink slowly for a while, it later started blinking fast again. I just assumed I waited too long...so the next time I got it to blink slow again, I didn't wait as long. First I tried starting it and then it stayed in the slow blink while it was running. I also tried just turning it on (no start) after I achieved 'slow blink'again. Waited a few seconds again and then turn it off and then back on again only for it to blink fast again.

What is diagnostic mode? I thought that was the slow blink mode.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Modme
Registered Member

The procedure described above places the SRS system into Diagnostic Mode. It allows you to read diagnostic data from the module without the need for OBD reader. If there is no more error, the diagnostic light would slowly flash continuously. It will not change to fast blinking. At that point, once you turn off the car, the old codes are erased and the light turns off.

While in diagnostic mode, if it blinks slowly at first, then blinks fast, there is still a problem that the SRS module is detecting. You should count the number of slow blinks, then the number of fast blinks, then the number of slow blinks again. Report those numbers and I can tell you what's wrong.
XIS (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:02 PM
XIS

Thanks again!!!

Ok...I got it to blink slow again. It blinked very slow 2 times, then fast 2 times, then slow two times and then fast again. Let me know if I need to keep track longer and if so, I will record it next time to make sure I keep track.
I appreciate you taking the time to help.

I even contemplated disconnecting the battery again and removing the airbag again...reinstalling and then hooking the battery back up the next morning to see if that would help. There shouldn't be anything wrong with my airbag..??
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Modme
Registered Member

According to that pattern, it's a problem with the driver side airbag. You said you removed the steering wheel t wrap it, did you damage the harness while removing the steering wheel? When you plugged in the airbag harness, did you press in the black clips?
XIS (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 PM
XIS

I was definitely careful removing the airbag. Didn't pull the wires too hard and unclipped the fairly easily. I can only hope I didn't push them back in hard enough?
Do you think I should remove it again and make sure those plugs are in all the way ?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Definitely need to make sure the airbag is connected. You can reset it as many times as you want, it wont work unless you fix the connection.
XIS (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 09:19 PM
XIS

Ok it seemed connected but I did notice that two little guide prongs on one of the black clips must have broken off. Even though it seemed the yellow and orange plugs were all the way in and even though those plastic clips area not conductive, could that be sensed by the airbag module ?

Pics coming
Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Those plastic clips are extremely important. All airbag module connectors have a metal bridge. The two pin on the airbags are short circuited by the bridge to prevent accidental deployment due to static electricity. The black clips push the bridge apart and breaks the circuit. Without them, the srs module is seeing a short circuit.
XIS (05-04-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 09:36 PM
XIS

Thank you SO much!! Looks like I am ordering a couple of those puppies!! Looking at where they plug in, that makes perfect sense. You are the man!!

Name:  2013-05-04180443.jpg
Views: 11380
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  2013-05-04180506.jpg
Views: 11487
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  2013-05-04180551.jpg
Views: 11121
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  2013-05-04182053_edit0.jpg
Views: 11651
Size:  140.0 KB