D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Replacing your Brake Pad on 08+ G37S

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I did

used the link in this thread to get good pads for good price
Bled brakes a bit at each corner and cleaned rotors at each corner with sandpaper and refilled the reservoir as I bled. Bedded in new pads per instructions.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:41 PM
randy0211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
Push the pad back and it will take both of the pistons on that side back, you have to do this in order for the pad to even come off.
With hand and or c-clamp?

nvm figured it out ....this might help alot of people

Last edited by randy0211; 08-31-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:33 PM
lazyshah85

I have a 2009 G37x and was wondering if its the same procedure as the S model. Do I need to replace the rotors if I get ceramic brake pads? Is there anything else I need to do for the X model? Thank you for the help.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
I just replaced my rear pads with akebono proacts. I used the supplied grease between the back of the pad and the backing plate, and then again to the outside of the backing plate. I also greased the sides where it touches the caliper, just like was pictured in this thread.

My rear rotors are new, as were the previous pads, however they squealed like crazy when cold, and then again when they warmed up. so I bought a new set to see if that would do the trick. Both these were beck arnley premium oe replacements. Now I went with the akebono pads on the beck arnley rotors.

After the install i did the bed in procedure. Unfortunately the new pads are just as bad. Loud squeal for the first 1 or 2 brake applications in the morning, and then again after about 10 minutes of city driving.

What am I doing wrong?!?! My neighbours are going to hate me if my rear brakes keep squealing this bad first thing in the morning.

Of course, this is all in addition to the dreaded front brake squeal when reversing out of my garage. No apparent fix to that...
Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
I recently finished up a DIY video for this: 2008-2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe Akebono Big Brake Kit Replacement Procedure Video | Infinitihelp.com
Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 PM
nassiris90

Awesome DIY! I used this and changing my pads was a breeze. I only wish I wasn't dumb enough to buy pads from autozone.....whoops. Maybe i'll give it another go soon with some higher end pads
Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 AM
DJEccentric

thanks for this DIY post!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:55 AM
Gazmond

Hey!
First post wooh, and apologies for necro'ing this thread.

Potentially stupid question but I've never worked on this style of caliper or parking brake before. Do you need the parking brake to be off before doing the rear pads? Can it be done with the parking still on? I was hoping I could get away with putting an axle stand under one corner and working my round the four corners that way.
The reason being there is a slight slope to my drive way and when I've needed to take wheels of previous cars (this is my first G) I've always done one corner and chocked the other three wheels so there is at least some parking brake force on one wheel of the car.

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Gaz
Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gazmond
Hey!
First post wooh, and apologies for necro'ing this thread.

Potentially stupid question but I've never worked on this style of caliper or parking brake before. Do you need the parking brake to be off before doing the rear pads? Can it be done with the parking still on? I was hoping I could get away with putting an axle stand under one corner and working my round the four corners that way.
The reason being there is a slight slope to my drive way and when I've needed to take wheels of previous cars (this is my first G) I've always done one corner and chocked the other three wheels so there is at least some parking brake force on one wheel of the car.

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Gaz
Welcome and congrats on your first post! I would recommend having the pbrake off so that you can make sure nothing is binding, but you could also do it with it on if you wanted to - you will still get a very slight rub, it's normal.

I would recommend placing the car on jack stands at the factory approved jacking locations. I used to put the stand right on the pinch weld, but if you looks right behind the pinch weld (more towards the inside part of the car) you will see there is a flat piece of metal that gives that area the most reinforcement, this i the best place for the jack stand as you are using the factory lift point and at the same time you will not harm the pinch weld as in my DIY video.

Get on a flat surface, chock the front wheels (from the front), jack up on the diff/pumpkin - the steel part, not the aluminum cover, then place the stands on the places I mentioned and lower down slowly then proceed to work now safely!

Good luck and let us know if you need any further assistance. Remember that one of the most important steps of this job is to retract the caliper pistons in evenly, do not only push on one side as this can damage the caliper bore.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:17 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bythabay
Welcome and congrats on your first post! I would recommend having the pbrake off so that you can make sure nothing is binding, but you could also do it with it on if you wanted to - you will still get a very slight rub, it's normal.

I would recommend placing the car on jack stands at the factory approved jacking locations. I used to put the stand right on the pinch weld, but if you looks right behind the pinch weld (more towards the inside part of the car) you will see there is a flat piece of metal that gives that area the most reinforcement, this i the best place for the jack stand as you are using the factory lift point and at the same time you will not harm the pinch weld as in my DIY video.

Get on a flat surface, chock the front wheels (from the front), jack up on the diff/pumpkin - the steel part, not the aluminum cover, then place the stands on the places I mentioned and lower down slowly then proceed to work now safely!

Good luck and let us know if you need any further assistance. Remember that one of the most important steps of this job is to retract the caliper pistons in evenly, do not only push on one side as this can damage the caliper bore.
Oh yeah and don't forget to open the brake fluid cap before you retract any pistons, that fluid needs to go somewhere - alternatively you can open up the bleed nipples on the caliper but then you might have to bleed the brakes too.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Gazmond

Amazing stuff thanks for the detailed reply bythabay!

EDIT: I have one of these Halfords | Tool Connection Laser Disc Brake Piston Spreader - 5093 to push the pistons back which should do the job I guess?

Last edited by Gazmond; 02-06-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:28 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gazmond
Amazing stuff thanks for the detailed reply bythabay!
No problem - I usually don't have much time to reply but when I do, I do it well

Replacing your Brake Pad on 08+ G37S-dos-20equis-20man.jpg
Old 02-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Gazmond

That's first class meme use right there!!!
Old 02-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Gazmond

Just wanted to say thank you for all the info and help in this thread did my pads today all went well apart from a couple of rounded wheel nuts where it looked like they had been done up super tight by someone before, luckily I had spares.