D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Clean your Throttle Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyz424
I actually found the part number and part on a vendor website of ours. For those who had the same question as me the part # 16175-JK21A and you can purchase it off the czp website!

https://conceptzperformance.com/
The part number was also in post #320 in this thread
Old 11-01-2017, 12:02 AM
herewego
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

So I cleaned my throttle body and MAF yesterday. Disconnected negative terminal. Used the correct cleaners, made sure everythinng was tight. When cleaning the throttle body I moved the butterfly a little bit but not much.

Started up fine, but I notice when I'm pushing down on the gas pedal, it hangs at 2000rpm even if I'm accelerating, and eventually it'll shoot to 3000rpm.

Any idea of what happened, what I should do? I'm leaving the negative terminal off in hopes of just resetting the ECU again.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
It needs to relearn maps and idle
The following users liked this post:
herewego (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by herewego
Hey guys,

So I cleaned my throttle body and MAF yesterday. Disconnected negative terminal. Used the correct cleaners, made sure everythinng was tight. When cleaning the throttle body I moved the butterfly a little bit but not much.

Started up fine, but I notice when I'm pushing down on the gas pedal, it hangs at 2000rpm even if I'm accelerating, and eventually it'll shoot to 3000rpm.

Any idea of what happened, what I should do? I'm leaving the negative terminal off in hopes of just resetting the ECU again.

Any help would be appreciated.
-reconnect the battery
-perform the "accelerator pedal released position learning" procedure
-perform the "throttle valve closed position learning" procedure
-perform the "idle air volume learning" procedure
The following users liked this post:
herewego (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 09:31 PM
herewego
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Victory
-reconnect the battery
-perform the "accelerator pedal released position learning" procedure
-perform the "throttle valve closed position learning" procedure
-perform the "idle air volume learning" procedure
I was about to do those things, but luckily I left the negative terminal disconnected overnight, in the AM everything was fine.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:32 AM
TurkeyDirk

Move butterfly back?

If you end up moving the butterfly during cleaning, do you manually move it back to its original position before re attaching it to the plenum? Or just let the car figure it out?

thank you

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
Nissan throttle bodies are notorious for getting dirty pretty quickly. If your car has issues with the RPM dropping at idle, it is probably a dirty TB.

Items Required:
- 8mm socket wrench
- 10mm socket wrench
- 5mm allen key
- Clean towel/rag
- Throttle body cleaner
- Pliers (optional)
- 2x throttle body o-ring seal (optional)

You will need to have the engine cool down before you start working. First you'll need to remove the engine cover. If you have a FSB like me, you'll need to remove that first. Simply take off the aluminum bar with the required allen key.

Attachment 171384

Next you'll need to remove both intakes to access the throttle bodies. It is best to clean one TB at a time. Removing the intakes will depend on what type you have installed.

Attachment 171385

Once you have removed your intake, you can see the TB and the butterfly valve inside (golden). You shouldn't see much dirt yet, as most of it loads up behind the valve. To take off the TB, you'll need to remove four hex bolts as shown below with a 5mm allen key. use the star configuration when removing and installing these bolts. They will be tight since they have thread lock applied to them.

Attachment 171386

Once you have removed these bolts, take care when pulling off the TB since there is an o-ring seal on the plenum. The TB will also have a connector for the throttle position sensor as well as two tubes connected to it. DO NOT disconnect the harness connector or any of the tubes. You should have enough space to work with. If you do, the ECU will not recognise idle throttle position and will cause the car to idle and run poorly.

Attachment 171387

You can see all the dirt on the other side of the TB. It is really sticky tar and will need some nice scrubbing with a towel and a TB cleaner to remove it.

Attachment 171388

There will also be some carbon/tar deposits on the plenum side as shown below. It is the greyish stuff on the lower portion.

Attachment 171389

To clean the TB, spray some of that TB cleaner (you can also use a very mild degreaser) on a clean towel. Push the butterfly valve to access all the necessary areas and start scrubbing it off. Once that is done, it should look good as new. Below is what mine looked like after cleaning. I also did the same for the plenum. Do not spray the cleaner into the plenum!

Attachment 171390

If your car has seen a lot of miles, it is a good time to replace the o-ring seal between the TB and the plenum.

Once the TB is clean you can now reinstall everything in reverse order. Repeat the same process for the second TB.

Edit: Made a video of the process below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIjOhJSJN_8

Hope that helps
Old 02-10-2018, 06:04 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Finally cleaned the TBs this morning.
Lately I noticed a little rough idle so it was in the to-do-list

Decided to unplug the battery about 10 minutes before getting started.
I did notice a lot of build-up inside the TB. I cleaned them but did not move the butterfly.
Used a rag to get most of the stuff out but I also used a soft toothbrush and q-tips to get around the edge of the butterfly & wall.
I had to flip them to a couple of times and use the toothbrush/q-tips to make sure both sides of the butterfly were cleaned.

Did not have any issues afterwards,
Test drove the G and pretty pleased with the results.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:11 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Quesion. If the front side on tb is clean does this mean the backside is?
Old 02-11-2018, 12:47 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

To me the picture is shows the "back-side" but I did cleaned the other side "intake side" as it was a little dirty.
As I mentioned, I had to flip them a couple of times and used the toothbrush/q-tips to make sure both sides were cleaned.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:48 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gio37
To me the picture is shows the "back-side" but I did cleaned the other side "intake side" as it was a little dirty.
As I mentioned, I had to flip them a couple of times and used the toothbrush/q-tips to make sure both sides of the butterfly were cleaned.

thanks man. My front looks clean 43000 miles so I'm wondering if I should bother with this diy yet...
Old 02-11-2018, 12:55 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
thanks man. My front looks clean 43000 miles so I'm wondering if I should bother with this diy yet...
as a reference, last time they were cleaned it was done at the dealer about 20K miles ago and i think they were now overdue.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:59 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gio37
as a reference, last time they were cleaned it was done at the dealer about 20K miles ago and i think they were now overdue.
wow! Only 20k and the look like that!!! Im doing mine tomorrow!!! Thank you
Old 02-11-2018, 01:06 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Quesion. If the front side on tb is clean does this mean the backside is?
btw, the front side of the TBs didn't look that bad but I was surprised to see how dirty they were once I was able to see the back side.
The reason I wanted to do it, I was getting a rough idle and the throttle response to me was a little slow.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:24 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Well curiosity got me. I pulled on side to check and oh my God. Filthy.
43k miles. Have to run to AutoZone in the morning for shop towels and tb cleaner. Thanks gio for getting me interested. Any body else's smell like fuel? Mine smells like gasoline. Normal?

Old 02-11-2018, 08:01 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

43k miles.

Wow. Worse than I thought. Moved butterflies a tiny bit. Car idles better and throttle response is smoother. No longer have to floor it to pick up nominal speed. Very happy man. No codes. Didnt go crazy with cleaner only sprayed on towel and q tips and wiped. Also wiped inside plenum as best I could. No codes no weird issues.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your Throttle Bodies