D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

window glass height adjustment-no more leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:23 PM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up window glass height adjustment-no more leaks!

I used the following threads for references:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...oor-panel.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...l-removal.html

*** please make sure you don't roll your window up or down while the rachet is attached to the adjusting screw!!!***

And refer to the top-notch 'color' coded pictures for reference! And you must be familiar with knowledge of reset your windows.... do a search or read your manual...

1) remove the interior panel by following the DIY threads above.
2) remove the window control and door lock box from the interior panel (circled in Turquois), held in place by 4 plastic clips, just use a small flat head screw driver. You will need this to roll your window up and down during adjustment.
3) there are two adjustment screws that are in a metal housing with a green plastic cover, and they can be access through the two holes circled in red. You can see them when the windows are rolled up (green). the adjustment is made through the 2 access holes with Red arrows using your rachet.
4) the screws are 7/32 in size and I used a 1/4 small rachet, you can make about 1/4 of a turn each way!

***Counter-clockwise turns will make your window go up higher, i.e., edge of glass will push up further into the rubber seals. Make the same # of turns for those two screws.***

5) don't drop your rachet into the door housing, like I did, which requires the removal of the speaker mount and takes 10 minutes longer!

I spent about 1 hr for this (1/2 hr. or less for one side), well worth the $100+ the dealer wants to charge me, and most of all is QUALITY control!!! Window adjustment are only covered for the first 12 months.... so the story goes.
Attached Thumbnails window glass height adjustment-no more leaks!-windowcontrol.jpg   window glass height adjustment-no more leaks!-wadj.jpg   window glass height adjustment-no more leaks!-wadj2.jpg  

Last edited by anh3; 04-09-2011 at 11:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by anh3:
juster (09-23-2020), KellingFrenzy (03-21-2019)
Old 03-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome info, thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 01:36 AM
CDONNS

Good info, but how would a leaking window NOT be covered under warranty?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 AM
anh3

Originally Posted by CDONNS
Good info, but how would a leaking window NOT be covered under warranty?
Unless it was manufacturer's defect, I believe window adj. is in one of those category, like alignment, that is only covered for the first 1 or 2 years.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 PM
CDONNS

Originally Posted by anh3
Unless it was manufacturer's defect, I believe window adj. is in one of those category, like alignment, that is only covered for the first 1 or 2 years.
I would say a window that leaks on a $40k+ car that is no more than 3 years old is a pretty big manufacturers defect...
Old 04-17-2011, 11:23 AM
cnagy65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anh3,

Where was it leaking originally? I've been going back and forth with Safelite since they replaced my window (Dealer wont look at it anymore under warranty since safelite worked on it) Neither Safelite or the dealer was able to get it to leak, but it only leaks when its pouring and windy for a hours at a time.

I see water at the base of the tweeter where it meets the top of the door sill.
It used to drip down the door, but hasn't done that since they replaced the a pillars (safelite broke one side)

I'm also getting some wind noise. Safelite taped up the front windshield to test for that also, but the sound didn't change with the tape on or off.

How can you tell the window was not up all the way and it needed to be adjusted?

Thanks

Last edited by cnagy65; 04-17-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:15 PM
anh3

picture 00004 showed the leak, coming from the top of the 'triangle.' My leaks happen from just sitting still and light rain.

Note: Even if you don't see the edge of your glass exposed from the outside, imag 18), and you have water on your treble speaker, chances are you window hadn't raised up enough.

its a pretty easy process if you know how to take your door piece a part, and handy with a screw driver and a small rachet! no more than 20 minutes per window, including disassembling and reassembling.
Attached Thumbnails window glass height adjustment-no more leaks!-imag0004.jpg   window glass height adjustment-no more leaks!-imag0016.jpg   window glass height adjustment-no more leaks!-imag0018.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 04:28 PM
anh3

Originally Posted by CDONNS
I would say a window that leaks on a $40k+ car that is no more than 3 years old is a pretty big manufacturers defect...
may be its because I got the car for $36,300 otd w/out tax?! I got your point though, that was my complain to the service department, and apparently they don't care too much or they don't consider Infiniti to be 'good' quality...
Old 04-17-2011, 10:08 PM
cnagy65

Originally Posted by anh3
picture 00004 showed the leak, coming from the top of the 'triangle.' My leaks happen from just sitting still and light rain.

Note: Even if you don't see the edge of your glass exposed from the outside, imag 18), and you have water on your treble speaker, chances are you window hadn't raised up enough.

its a pretty easy process if you know how to take your door piece a part, and handy with a screw driver and a small rachet! no more than 20 minutes per window, including disassembling and reassembling.
Thanks for the pics. I will have to look.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:54 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
awsome thanks for sharing
Old 11-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Mannyz33

Thanks for the write up.
I just tried it earlier today and while adjusting the window counter clock wise to raise it I could not notice any movement either up or down.

After all was done and I closed the door, reset the window it was visibly less gap the prior.

Even ran my finger nail on the crease of the window by the side mirror on up until the door seal would not allow any more movement upward with my finger.

Notice it was now even more sealed than the passenger side.

So after clay baring the car, I open the door and see water on the front seat and door panel again

Wonder if its the door seal
Old 07-16-2015, 11:11 AM
akiradavis

will this work for wind noise in the cabin? I get terrible wind noise on both the windows of my coupe
Old 10-26-2016, 12:44 PM
lashk
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone know how to adjust the rear windows up also? I have a leak at the rear quarter window and the repair manual says to adjust the window..
Old 10-26-2016, 02:49 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
just saw this thread!! super awesome. My driver window isn't up all the way and I kept hearing wind noise hissing when on the highway.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Mannyz33

For me the problem was the windshield repair. Previous owner installed a New front windshield.
I went to the Infiniti dealership and got their glass/ windshield repair comapny.

The guy told me they see this problem all the time because many other companies bend and break the retainer clips in the pilars during installation.

When the clips are broken they allow water to leak within.
After the reinstallation I had no more water leaks from the top.

Quick Reply: window glass height adjustment-no more leaks!