D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Help!!! Bluetooth install gone glitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 01:34 AM
marklong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Bluetooth install gone glitch

I decided after looking at some instructions that I could install a GROM bluetooth adapter in my 2012 G37 sedan.

The install went ok.. the bluetooth adapter works (kindof.. the steering wheel controls don't work). However, although I can start the car, it won't move from park!!!! What's more... neither the gas gauge nor the temperature gauge work (shows dashes) .. and the key indicator is constantly on.

There was only one wire to tap into for power... so there was no problem there. I did use the shift lock to bring the shifter to neutral to get the radio out.. but I didn't have a problem doing that.

I tried to do the ECU reset sequence using the gas pedal.. but it didn't seem to recognize the sequence. I've had the negative battery terminal disconnected for a few hours and will try to reconnect in the morning I guess... although I'm worried about all the sensors being "lost".

This could be two problems... the one with the gas and temperature sensors and then the not being able to get the car out of park... but I suspect they may be from the same glitch.

Any recommendations???? I've only had my car a week!!!
Old 05-17-2015, 10:27 AM
marklong

Ok...it seems I fixed it. Somehow I blew a passenger compartment instrument fuse during that install. I can't for the life of me figure how though... unless somehow I biased something when I put everything back together the first time. I really didn't expect the fuse thing since there is only one wire tap and I was careful.

Anyway... gauges are all back, started the car multiple times, drove it a dozen miles... all looks ok. Whew!

It is an interesting "feature" of this car that if a fuse is blown (apparently the same is true for a rear tail light from other posts) the car won't shift from park.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:05 PM
itzricky

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Omg...After hearing this

I Just ordered a GROMBt3..

And will be installing it myself over the weekend....

How in the hell did you blow a fuse? Is this something that can happen to me? Im totally inexperienced with this DIY. Also do u like the bluetooth adapteR? Does it show text/titles/sound track....and also which model of Grom did u buy
Old 05-28-2015, 03:53 PM
marklong

I believe I can help you.

Once installed I found that the track information did not show up on the screen. I really wanted that so I asked GROM and got this:

The GROM BT3 does not have the ability to support track information display as it is not an intended feature on the unit, it will only display caller id. If you are looking for a unit that will give you both caller id and track information you will want to look at the GROM NIS02U3 and BTD add on, this product combination will give you the features you are looking for

They said they will do a return or an exchange. I have to do the purchase then return since I have already installed. You could do the exchange if you haven't installed. you just pay the difference if you want the text.

Regarding the install:

If you haven't removed one of these radios before (like I hadn't) I guarantee you'll be a little freaked when you get into it. There are a dozen connectors plugging into 4 or 5 things. The good news is that all the connectors are different sizes and keyed so you can't plug in something wrong. The only thing you might want to keep track of are the one or two connectors that don't have anything plugged into them in the first place. That way you won't go crazy looking for something to plug into them when you put things back together.

Several things you are going to want to listen to.

First, the DIY instructions for the install suggest putting a towel over the console to avoid scratching when the radio module comes out. Forget that. If the towel is not thick or it moves.. you're scratched. I'd put a couple layers of Duct tape over everything all the way back to the shifter. Those tabs on the bottom of the radio are sharp! Second, when you're putting things back, make sure the cables fold back so that you don't bias a connector when you screw things back in. If there's any pressure when you push in the modules, don't force it.... pull it out and rearrange the cables a bit if you can. At first I screwed the power tap too close to the connector that wire was attached to. Tap the wire an inch and a half or so back from that connector (you might want to push back a wiring harness tube a bit to get it far enough awasy) so it can find a place to hide when everything is pushed back in.

Regarding that tap.. the pins of the connector whose wire you tap looks something like this if you look into it

-----
- ------ -
-----

The wire you'll tap is one of the ones on the far side instead of the center group.

The picture of where the module goes is too close up to locate where it is. It is right dead center behind the display module.

If you have never done this before, count on your car being disabled for several hours while you pick through this. Once you've done it, you could do it again in 30 minutes or less.

All this said and done.. when it is installed the sound is the same as you would hear from the CD or the USB.. really clear. The track selection from the steering wheel works... but takes a little getting used to.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:55 PM
marklong

PS. My connector diagram didn't turn out. There is a center rectangular group of pins and then two on either side. You'll tap the wire going to one of the side pins.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:38 PM
itzricky

I'm so confused as to where to tap the connector, do I have to guess??? I wish someone did a video. Also how would I pry open the pieces? Is there a store I can buy this tool at... I should have bought the USB one, but I don't care much for text.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 PM
itzricky

Im actually considering getting the GROM NIS02U3 before moving forward with the installation.

is there anyway you can show me a more descriptive way to do the posi connector tap.