MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Car Care & Detailing (https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-care-and-detailing-318/)
-   -   Car Wash Issues (https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-care-and-detailing/290604-car-wash-issues.html)

xpunx 10-29-2018 12:19 AM

Car Wash Issues

Hey all
So i have a 12 g37xs with the factory bumper and skirts kit. I can't seem to find a carwash that I can drive into without scraping the bumper. Anyone else run into this problem? Am i stuck hand washing? Is there a way to put swap bumpers to not have the low lip?

stealthee 10-29-2018 07:39 AM

What kind of car wash are you trying to drive into? Every one around here (that I would consider using) are all flat going from the outside to inside.

NealP 10-29-2018 11:52 AM

I try to stick to touch-less car washes or the ones with the spray gun you do yourself. Mostly cause I don't want their brushes to scratch my car. I'd suggest you do the same.

xpunx 10-29-2018 11:58 AM

It's just the auto car wash but they all seem to have that guide rail that's elevated and that's what I cant clear.

xpunx 10-29-2018 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by NealP (Post 4219375)
I try to stick to touch-less car washes or the ones with the spray gun you do yourself. Mostly cause I don't want their brushes to scratch my car. I'd suggest you do the same.

ahhh ok there aren't a lot of those around here. I will have to go hunting. Are the auto washed notorious for paint scratching ?

Infin88 10-29-2018 12:03 PM

ANything that touches the paint can scratch it. Most autowashes will use brushes or those washing curtain things that have gone through tons of dirty cars before seeing yours.

Selym 10-29-2018 02:01 PM

Have you lowered the car? I have a '13 xS sedan and I don't have any issues with scraping the bumper or side skirts.

youdunseeme 10-29-2018 02:45 PM

Touch-less to the win!!
If you don't feel like do it yourself, there are some touch-less auto car wash out there:biggthumpup:

NealP 10-29-2018 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by xpunx (Post 4219377)
ahhh ok there aren't a lot of those around here. I will have to go hunting. Are the auto washed notorious for paint scratching ?

Yes but more clear coat scratching than paint. I avoid it just to be safe and it helps that there's a touch-less one closer to my home. There was one time where the brush took my aftermarket mirror cover off. It popped back on but it made me think of how hard it was hitting my car to be able to take that off.

ANMVQ 10-30-2018 12:23 PM

Yea touch-less FTW . I have two near my house :) I have NEVER been in to a car wash LOL.

nonlinearedits 03-22-2019 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by xpunx (Post 4219377)

I made a stupid assumption after being through one my wife took me to in her car. There were pressure washers blasting the brushes as they spun. My stupid assumption was that it must wash the debris off from the car in front so it would be safer. Used it about 5 times myself to get snow and salt off after storms and the entire car is covered in fine scratches now. I'm going to have to spend a weekend correcting the paint now. Never again.

Surfnazi 07-26-2019 04:51 PM

I used to hook up water hose to hot water supply from washing machine for wintertime washes