Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Care during winter months

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:32 AM
1560S
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Care during winter months

Hey guys,
I was hoping to get some input from some of the people who live in snowy states. I myself do and will have to daily drive my q60 this winter as I do not have a beater car yet to use. There is tons of salt used as well so I was wondering if anyone had any input on things you do to keep your car clean and/or protect it during the winter months. Other than washing the car every couple of days of course.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Awakence
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is undercoating you can do to your car that will protect the underside and wheel wells from salt and erosion. Downside is that everything is black and its a pain to work on your car as bolts and everything are black (as i've heard). Other ways you can protect the car is to ceramic coat the wheels, which will make it easier to rinse off the salt and protect against it. You can also wax or even better, ceramic coat the whole car instead (If you plan to repaint or polish the car do this afterwards as it lasts 2-3 years). Also you can rinse off your car daily, especially the underside to get most of the salt off but if you park outside then you probably won't want to as your car might freeze over haha.
The following users liked this post:
1560S (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 04:47 PM
1560S
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got the wax on, but I'll definitely look into the ceramic coating. I've heard about the undercoating, is that something i can go out and buy myself and apply, or should I be having someone else do it? Car will be garaged, but I don't know if I have the willpower to wash it down every single day haha.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
get some Fluid Film for the undercoating - its a waxy oil and penetrates the metal. rubberized undercoating is a mess and just traps moisture under it and leads to rust.

the Fluid Film should not be applied to rubber, so i found Cyclo Liqui Shield that is able to be applied to rubber, so i'm going to try that this year for all the areas around bushings and stuff i avoid with the FF.

(pressure) wash the underside and let dry for a day, then lay a tarp down, jack up the car, and spray it. i bought the the Fluid Film at Lowe's (also Amazon), and the LiquiShield at Amazon.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:38 AM
Awakence
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1560S
Got the wax on, but I'll definitely look into the ceramic coating. I've heard about the undercoating, is that something i can go out and buy myself and apply, or should I be having someone else do it? Car will be garaged, but I don't know if I have the willpower to wash it down every single day haha.
Once you ceramic coat you don't need to wax anymore and you should not have the wax fairly recent when you do apply the ceramic coating. You can apply it yourself but generally certified shops will do it way better if you do not have the experience (better spray tools as well). I'd recommend "Krown" undercoating as I have researched which was the best and decided on that when I was looking into undercoating.