Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Newbie Polish/Sealant Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 12:49 AM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Polish/Sealant Recommendations?

Greetings fellas! I just joined this forum after I bought my Texas G in August for pennies )) and have already found a lot of great advice. Thought I would formally introduce "Chanel," so named for her previous owner's wife's awesome perfume (No. 5), and let y'all give me some recommendations on a 1 day detail job (tomorrow). I am a Meguiar's fan and would like to head that direction. I want to do everything by hand no buffer. These pics are with nothing applied. I can't tell that there is much wax already on it (water didn't bead). The roof ONLY has a very rough/dry feeling and when I later applied Quick Detailer with mf towel it scratched it. I thought it would soak up the QD. It did not. I may leave roof alone until I get clarification from y'all on how to proceed. I'm thinking she (the rest of car) needs light polish, and sealant. I have bottle of Gold Class liquid wax but it's about to be winter here in Indy and I won't have much time to wax/seal once winter hits so I'm reading sealant is best? Any ideas would be great. Thanks!
P.S. Someone ruined the wheels with chemical & curbs. I'll have to get them refinished.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:13 AM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

Wowza!!! Anybody seen this? Aerosol, completely synthetic, no buff, lasts 1 year!!! Anybody used it?

Old 10-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
i wash ... nanoskin mitt (or claybar, if you prefer) ... Meguiar's Ultimate Compound for any light scratches/marks ... polish with 3m Imperial Hand Glaze or Meguiar's Polish ... and seal with Carpro Hydr02 spray sealant.

the Hydr02 is great and easy - apply with a spray bottle, and hose it off. water runs off the car like a RainX'd windshield. also makes drying quick and easy with my cordless blower.
The following 2 users liked this post by Landshark:
conroy (11-04-2017), Texas Boy (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
i wash ... nanoskin mitt (or claybar, if you prefer) ... Meguiar's Ultimate Compound for any light scratches/marks ... polish with 3m Imperial Hand Glaze or Meguiar's Polish ... and seal with Carpro Hydr02 spray sealant.

the Hydr02 is great and easy - apply with a spray bottle, and hose it off. water runs off the car like a RainX'd windshield. also makes drying quick and easy with my cordless blower.
are you aware of any spray sealants which also reduce swirl marks? The clearcoat on these cars is really soft and marrs easily and im concerned about repeated polishing given how soft it is
Old 10-07-2017, 01:04 PM
Texas Boy
Registered Member

Man I can't find it for sale! argh. No distributors near Indy?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Victory
are you aware of any spray sealants which also reduce swirl marks? The clearcoat on these cars is really soft and marrs easily and im concerned about repeated polishing given how soft it is
no.

to be safe, apply the polish by hand and you'll be fine. getting crazy with a machine buffer could give you problems, but a hand polish once or twice a year shouldn't hurt anything.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:27 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
What year is your G?

I ask as some years use Scratch Shield (sticker under the hood) that may change what you do to restore the finish.

-Eric

Old 10-08-2017, 08:42 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
For the winter, I'd recommend a sealant like
Menzerna Power Lock (PL) Menzerna Power Lock (PL)
. Stuff is absolutely amazing, lasts typically 2x any carnauba out there and the best attribute is that it comes off easier than putting it on. Little pricey but I've been blown away at the longevity of this stuff. Add
Collinite 845 Collinite 845
on top of it and you'll get a great shine too. Collinite may be cheaper if you find a local distributor in your area. Just go to the Collinite site and one may pop up in your area.

Good luck and beautiful coupe. Here's mine after using both of the above products.
The following users liked this post:
Texas Boy (10-20-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by llebcire
What year is your G?

I ask as some years use Scratch Shield (sticker under the hood) that may change what you do to restore the finish.

-Eric

I have a 2013, so it should have scratch shield, which as far as i can tell is a gimmick. It's just soft clearcoat that scratches and chips if you so much as look at it funny. I swear, this car has more rock chips on it than my last 3 cars combined. The hood has a few dozen spots I need to touch up, about a dozen more on the fenders and doors and the front bumper isn't even worth trying to salvage with touchup paint. Will need a respray if i ever want it to look right.

My two biggest letdowns with this car are the paint and all the squeeks and rattles.

Last edited by Victory; 10-09-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 AM
conroy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might want to give it the clay bar treatment then hit it with Chemical Guys Jet Seal. It's a synthetic wax. I like working with it. It's supposed to last a year. It should help you make it through the winter.
Chemical Guys - JetSeal Sealant and Paint Protectant (16 oz)
Texas Boy (10-20-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 05:21 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I just started using carpro reload sealant. Super easy to apply.
Texas Boy (10-20-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:10 PM
P3_Super_Bee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using Liquid Glass Polish/Finish for about 25 years. NOTHING comes close in my opinion.

For all other aspects, I use Jay Leno's Garage Advanced Automotive Care products. Can't say anything bad here either. A lot seem to think nothing but a money grab, but some of the best stuff I've used here as well.

Quick Detailer,
Tire Shine,
Interior Detailer
Leather Cleaner (here had a milk stain, grandson bottle, nothing worked, this did)
Leather Conditioner
Car Wash
Window Cleaner

And damn, he has some of the best microfiber towels I've used too.
conroy (11-04-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:33 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Interesting.

Back in the early to mid 80s I used Liquid Glass exclusively until they (supposedly) changed the formula (I had 6 - 8 layers), then went to Zymol Japon and finally to Mother's carnauba where I've stayed.

Might have to try it again.

-Eric
Old 11-04-2017, 01:55 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by P3_Super_Bee
I've been using Liquid Glass Polish/Finish for about 25 years. NOTHING comes close in my opinion.

For all other aspects, I use Jay Leno's Garage Advanced Automotive Care products. Can't say anything bad here either. A lot seem to think nothing but a money grab, but some of the best stuff I've used here as well.

Quick Detailer,
Tire Shine,
Interior Detailer
Leather Cleaner (here had a milk stain, grandson bottle, nothing worked, this did)
Leather Conditioner
Car Wash
Window Cleaner

And damn, he has some of the best microfiber towels I've used too.
Liquid glass is very good stuff.Works best (to me) on darker colored vehicles. Mine is liquid plat and looks good.My wife's yukon is white and doesn't seem as bright. I use meguires #26 hi tech yellow on white paint.
conroy (11-04-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 08:57 PM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Go to autopia.org or autogeekonline.net and read for a few hours. :-)

I recommend duragloss products if you don't want to spend a lot of money....