Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New to the two bucket cleaning method

Old 04-21-2017, 08:26 AM
iddqd
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
New to the two bucket cleaning method

Hello everyone! I finally received my '13 g37 coupe yesterday! Today I'll be soo busy driving everywhere before Friday traffic starts! Anyways, I was always one of "those guys" that used the automatic car washes for my previous two small suvs. I've been reading that the brush and whatnot can scratch your paint!

Being an absolute newbie to hand car washing, I looked up a few videos on youtube as well as read the first sticky thread on detailing. This Chemical Guys one looked straight forward and I think I'll try it out once I need my first wash. I live in an apt at the moment so I'll have to be going to a self wash bay. Does this video's method seem similar to what you all do for a basic wash for your g37? I'll read the sticky for recommended products to use, but I may just get the ones used in the video.

Thanks for all of the previous help and convincing for me to get a g37. Although it isn't a manual! Just hearing the roar is amazing.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:52 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
A lot of what he said was spot on and that brush will kill your paint lol. For the body I wouldn't use the stringy pad like he had - I found they catch rocks in them easily.

You can pick up big buckets at LOWES or use some that you have lying around. Two is perfect. The Spray detailer will be your best friend. You can use Chemical guys (awesome products) or pick up a set of Meguiars, like I used to, at wal-mart for $20. Set came with Soap, Wipes for interior, Scratch X 2.0, window Cleaner, and maybe one more. Great bargain while living on a budget.

Bring all the Microfiber towels. You will need them and you'd rather they be available rather than run short.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM
iddqd
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm scared of lol. Okay thanks for the tip on the pad.

I think I actually have two buckets already, so one part down! I'll look into Meguiars, I read great things about their products. I might just snag the CG products through Amazon for this first round of car washing then try another afterwards.

I think I saw a huge pack of Microfiber towels at Costco! I'll grab a pack lol.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:35 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Yea you can't go wrong with them tbh and the price was spot on. Good clay bar will also be a need. Just discovered it when I got the G and have been wondering where it's been all my life.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Jarrett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I'll bejoining the two bicket club. I love to clean my car on a daily basis becouse I don't have a covered slot right now and I live close to a rain forest on Vancouver Island. (Side note, if you ever get the chane, the highway that leads to the East Coast of Vancouver Island from the ferries in Nanaimo is the most beautiful drive tons of twisty back road driving and great long streches to push those motors... trust me it's a breath taking experience) sorry about that I love to drive. So my car gets easily dirty with the endless rain we endure fore those few perfect days in late spring and summer. So daily I'll be cleaning. Bought the costco yellow towels and the big bag of shop towels and I'm ready to go.
Cars only been my for two weeks so I'm fully aware my optimism will wane when the temps get too low. Also why I got awd. Sorry for not adding much yo the conversation.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:53 PM
joebrez

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Be sure to get "grit guards" for the buckets. They HELP ALOT!!! You'll be amazed at the crap at the bottom of both buckets.

Also, if storage isn't too much of an option, go 3 buckets. One for Rim,Tire and exhaust cleaning. Keep it separate!!! AND and HUGE AND, don't cross use cleaning stuff. Rim/Tire/exhaust stuff NEVER touches paint...

Also, if you're getting MF towels from any big box store, be sure to remove the tags and wash first with a good MF cleaner.

Search this Thread