Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Smoke smell and steam cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Andy77
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke smell and steam cleaning

I bought a used 2009 G37x (long story, when I have more time) and it is great, except for the smoke smell from the former owner.

I have changed the in-cabin filter (thanks to the instructions on this site). I have used carpet cleaner-sprays on the mats and carpeting twice (including the trunk).

I have vacuumed and cleaned the headliner (and back deck) three, maybe four, times with different products.

I have vacuumed and cleaned the seats with Zaino cleaner and used their Leather-in-a-Bottle and I cleaned them again with Lexol.

The car smells less, but there is still a smell from the seats on my shirt when I get out.

I want to gently steam clean the headliner AND the leather seats with a rent-a-cleaner from the grocery. There are a number of videos of professionals cleaning leather seats with steam cleaners with apparently good results. This seems like the only way to wash the smell out, and I am fairly desperate.

I could not find anything on this forum about it.

I am open to opinions, but please be kind.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Never mind hope you get it out. I did vinager in a bowl leaving it in the car for a couple of days after I quit smoking it worked pretty good.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Best bet is to have a professional with a ozone extractor machine to kill all the smell.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
“Removal of Smoke Odours” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ke-odours.html

I hope the information in this article is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please let me know
Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Andy77
Registered Member

Thank you for the information.

Has anyone used, or have information about, steam cleaning of leather seats?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:23 AM
TOGWT

Using dry steam vapour

A system that produces a high temperature, low moisture vapour that contains only 5% to 6% water and is much less dense than air, a steam vapour system is equipped to safely produce thousands of gallons of live dry steam using only about 1.5 quarts of water per hour.

With temperatures (212.0F) hot enough to kill bacteria and germs, emulsify grease and oil as well as other surface contaminants. These units are best suited for light cleaning (covered leather or fabric upholstery) maintenance, and spot removal.

You must exercise extreme care when using it on Aniline leather and urethane (covered leather) surfaces. The head needs to be two or three inches from the surface when using the triangle attachment as a lot of steam (heat) will be concentrated on that area which could damage the surface.

I tend to clean using conventional leather cleaners, and supplement with the steamer as needed to remove serious dirt, especially on perforated seats to emulsify the gunk in the holes so it can be wiped away. The fresh clean smell a steamer can give an interior because of the disinfecting abilities over a chemical residue smell.

Apply a cleaner to a sponge, work up foam and apply to the surface, then pass the steamer just above the top of the area just cleaned and lightly agitate with a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, then wipe dry. Steam vapour helps to emulsify the grime, while the foam encapsulates it. Steam when it cools turns to condensate (water) which helps to re-hydrate the hide
Old 10-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Andy77
Registered Member

Thank you, TOGWT!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 AM
TOGWT

Originally Posted by Andy77
Thank you for the information.

Has anyone used, or have information about, steam cleaning of leather seats?
May be of some interest - The Vapamore MR-50 Portable Wet/ Dry Steam Vac ~ 150 USD Autogeek
Old 03-25-2014, 12:09 AM
DanG37
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Andy77,

Did you ever try the DrivePur route?

Just curious. The former owner of my G37 was apparently a smoker -- the cabin is fine, but I basically cannot use the AC. (I've just been using the heated seats for the winter.) I'm planning on finding out the closest party who can give my car the full DrivePur Smok treatment. Otherwise, I'll probably eventually crack and just trade in this car.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Have you replaced the cabin filter?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:22 PM
DanG37
Registered Member

Hi Cruz,

If you are addressing my post, I have indeed. I've have a new grapeseed filter as well for after the treatment.

I've actually dropped the blower down to get a good look. (It's in the same area as the filter.) The cigarette residue is in the area not just before the filter but after the filter the filter as well.

The (properly good ) dealer in my area has some sort of ionization treatment. I'll probably try first, if only for convenience sake.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:58 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Frigifresh made by bg. Take the cabin filter out spray a whole can into the fresh air vent while system is running on full blast with doors closed. Let run for 10 mins on recirc after don't spraying. You can spray more inside while it's on recirc mode as well. This will disenfect your system and remove the odors in your evap. A can of frigifresb is about 7 bucks.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Detail
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
OP, I smoke. Yes you can steam your headliner. I will warn you to be extremely careful when doing so, too wet and you'll have it sagging down. Honestly, it really didn't help a lot for me.

I found that by taking a disinfecting wipe, laying it flat, and gentling wiping in a front to back motion that I actually removed quite a bit of nastiness. These wipes aren't typically over saturated, if they are, ring them out first. This actually helped my car smell better.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:25 AM
DanG37
Registered Member

You have at least a couple of service provider options for north New Jersey, if you chose to go this route:
DrivePur Protective Coatings - Locate a Dealer
Old 04-29-2014, 09:27 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Contact your dealer and ask for the name of the outfit[s] they use to recondition cars (they do this for almost all CPOs). I believe there is canister type apparatus they can release in the car which essentially neutralizes any smell with the exception of mold.

These guys can work magic. I did this a long time ago and have since created a list experts that recondition leather, plastic trim, dings, wheels, etc.