Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

debadge without scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Jkg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
debadge without scratch?

i never did debadge before..
is there way to do it without living scratch?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just make sure you heat up the badges with a hair dryer to loosen up the glue. Than use some floss too separate the badges from the paint. Use goo-gone to remove the glue residue. Wax the spot and you're done.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Callaway
Just make sure you heat up the badges with a hair dryer to loosen up the glue. Than use some floss too separate the badges from the paint. Use goo-gone to remove the glue residue. Wax the spot and you're done.
To be honest you dont even need to heat them up. Just us floss and slide under.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Romeo Xray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what I did to debadge:

1.) I used a thin fishing line (4lb test to be exact) to slowly remove each letter/number with a downward slicing direction, sort of like cutting a block of cheese. I tried my best to position the fishing line more towards the letters/numbers rather than between the paint and adhesive.

2.) There will be some adhesive left on the paint. I removed the bigger pieces of adhesive with my fingers and then used a microfibre towel sprayed with goo-gone to remove most of the adhesive. I held the goo-gone soaked microfibre towel on the adhesive for a minute and then rubbed it gently.

3.) I washed the car and used a clay bar to remove any specks of adhesive that was left.

4.) Finally, I polished the area where the badges were with a Porter Cable, white pad/Menzerna FPII. Layered some sealant and wax afterwards....and that's it.

Here's some pictures of it: https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-interior-exterior-lighting/176729-bat-s-trunk-lid-chrome-spoiler-overlay-pics.html

edit: come to think if it, floss might be better than a fishing line because it's a little softer, but I'm not sure if it'll cut through any cleaner... ?? and one more thing; grab a chair, have a seat, and take your time!

Last edited by Romeo Xray; 01-14-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Romeo Xray
This is what I did to debadge:

1.) I used a thin fishing line (4lb test to be exact) to slowly remove each letter/number with a downward slicing direction, sort of like cutting a block of cheese. I tried my best to position the fishing line more towards the letters/numbers rather than between the paint and adhesive.

2.) There will be some adhesive left on the paint. I removed the bigger pieces of adhesive with my fingers and then used a microfibre towel sprayed with goo-gone to remove most of the adhesive. I held the goo-gone soaked microfibre towel on the adhesive for a minute and then rubbed it gently.

3.) I washed the car and used a clay bar to remove any specks of adhesive that was left.

4.) Finally, I polished the area where the badges were with a Porter Cable, white pad/Menzerna FPII. Layered some sealant and wax afterwards....and that's it.

Here's some pictures of it: https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176729

edit: come to think if it, floss might be better than a fishing line because it's a little softer, but I'm not sure if it'll cut through any cleaner... ??
pretty good write up i think. As far as the floss very fishing line i have never used fishing line i have only used floss and have never had any issues. Cuts through no problem
Old 01-14-2008, 11:01 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

i jsut used my finger nails. perfect. lots of write ups on this
Old 01-15-2008, 02:03 AM
teh slab

I also just used my finger nails, but I only had a decal. I just picked up the edge of it and pulled gently at a 45 degree angle. Every time the signature broke it was hard to pull an edge up again, but overall it wasn't that much of a pain and it'll go quickly if you can keep from breaking it. I easily buffed out the traces of glue by hand afterwards with a damp cotton towel.

If you have a solid badge stuck on, you'll probably want to use the waxed floss approach.