Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited by jnguyen; 06-06-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Michelangelo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen a few methods discussed, but what is really the best way to remove all the wax, sealant, glaze, etc. that's currently on my car? I want to take it down to the clearcoat so I can clay it and then re-glaze, re-seal, and re-wax.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
jnguyen - Personally, I'd go over to Autopia.org and post up in the regional section to get a recommendation for a detailer in your area. Chances are you could get as good of service if not better for less.

Originally Posted by Michelangelo
I've seen a few methods discussed, but what is really the best way to remove all the wax, sealant, glaze, etc. that's currently on my car? I want to take it down to the clearcoat so I can clay it and then re-glaze, re-seal, and re-wax.
I either wash with a high concentrated shampoo mixture such as Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss or Citrus Wash & Clear or use some Isopropyl Alcohol and water like a quick detailer. Either of those methods will remove previous coats of protection effectively and leave you with just your clear coat ready for your detail.

Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

George
Old 06-03-2009, 01:54 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is better for applying the supernatural. Black, Blue or Red pad?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
What is better for applying the supernatural. Black, Blue or Red pad?
I personally use a red foam applicator pad by hand and remove with a plush microfiber towel. You want to avoid using a buffer when applying or removing a wax.

George
Old 06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Just ordered some red pads and supernatural. I hope it looks good on my vibrant red.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Just ordered some red pads and supernatural. I hope it looks good on my vibrant red.
I'm sure it'll look stunning once your done. Post up some pics of your work after, I'd love to see it.

George
Old 06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Waxing exterior glass surfaces?

Is there any harm in waxing all of the exterior glass?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Is there any harm in waxing all of the exterior glass?
Nope, I do it myself. You just want to ensure that you remove it all so that it doesn't streak and impair your vision.

An all in one product that cleans and protects is another great option as it can remove some mineral deposits that may have accumulated.

Cheers,

George
Old 06-09-2009, 01:19 PM
pyctici

im pretty sure this has been answered all ready but 55 pages are alot to go thru....for swirlies on my finish whats the best way to get that out? wetsand?, compound? or wax?
if wax would be the way to go, what brand in your professional opnion works the best?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
jdub1107

Let's say a car has been clayed and sealed. The next time that I want to clay it, do I need to remove the seal? It seems like a good idea to clay without removing the sealant since there would an extra layer of protection from micro-marring. Is this line of thought correct?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

I just clayed, polished, sealed my car 2 days ago. Now my Supernatural just came in. (I couldnt wait, it was a beautiful day.

Anyways, can I just spray the car down with a 50/50 alcohol solution and apply the wax or should I do a full wash? I don't want to remove the FMJ I just applied.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by pyctici
im pretty sure this has been answered all ready but 55 pages are alot to go thru....for swirlies on my finish whats the best way to get that out? wetsand?, compound? or wax?
if wax would be the way to go, what brand in your professional opnion works the best?
You're going to need to polish your paint. For detailed reading on how to remove the most swirls and properly polish your paint, read through our polishing guide. Ideally, you'll want to invest in a quality buffer, otherwise your results will be pretty limited. After reading the guide, if you have any questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Originally Posted by jdub1107
Let's say a car has been clayed and sealed. The next time that I want to clay it, do I need to remove the seal? It seems like a good idea to clay without removing the sealant since there would an extra layer of protection from micro-marring. Is this line of thought correct?
Using a clay bar in general will remove most of the protection. You can opt to remove the protection prior to claying to ensure you get a completely fresh start, or you can wash, clay, then re-protect. The problem lies that if the clay doesn't remove all of the sealant and say there is some remaining, the new coat your applying is bonding on the old coat, which will have minimum durability. The reason for stripping the old coat in its entirety is so that you achieve maximum durability with the new coat.

I just clayed, polished, sealed my car 2 days ago. Now my Supernatural just came in. (I couldnt wait, it was a beautiful day.

Anyways, can I just spray the car down with a 50/50 alcohol solution and apply the wax or should I do a full wash? I don't want to remove the FMJ I just applied.
You don't want to use alcohol solution to prep the surface, that would remove the coat of FMJ. If you only have a light dusting on your vehicle, you could opt for a quick detailer and a plush microfiber towel. If your vehicle is dirtier than a light dusting, then I'd recommend a full wash, then you can apply your coat of Supernatural. Be sure to keep us posted on how things turn out once you get a chance to use SN!

All the best,

George
Old 06-11-2009, 09:41 AM
pyctici

^^^ thanks for the info
Old 06-13-2009, 05:11 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently Join Autopia after ya said I should try it and someone message me from my location. I need your opinion on him since I know Rotary buffering and wetsanding is bad if isnt done right and he uses them alot but he say he is really experience with it. It looks like he is very good with it.

Name:  Detail-SVTCobra047.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  118.3 KB
here is his gallery
http://www.ajautodetail.com/gallery.htm

also here is a few post of his from autopia.
CL55
http://autopia.org/forum/pro-details...ll-detail.html

645Ci
http://autopia.org/forum/pro-details...bmw-645ci.html

ford Cobra
http://autopia.org/forum/pro-details...svt-cobra.html

What do ya think? Should I pull the trigger and schedule a detail from him? He seems very legit from all his post on Autopia. I am veery **** when it comes to my car so usually only I can drive or touch it so I figure i ask the pro before I make my decision

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image