Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 01:39 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Immediately looked up M105 and M205 even though I already own some polishes (don't remember what ones).
Then I came across this USEFUL website..
Polishing How To with Meguiar?s M105 / M205 | Ask a Pro Blog
Then I noticed it was your page. Well done!
Old 02-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Thanks!

Again, let me know if you have any questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Attention to Detailing - Peoria, IL
Old 11-25-2016, 08:57 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I need to get some new wax. Black Friday gives me a great opportunity. I see a couple of things that have been for sale a long time, like Nu Finish. Is that stuff totally terrible? It looks like Mequiar's have something like it called Paint Protect. I was planning to get Mequiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. There is also Mother's California Gold Synthetic Wax. I was thinking for the leather to get Surf City Garage Voodoo leather. It is a great product. I got some Chemical Guys leather stuff, which is colored orange and you have to be extremely careful with it, so it doesn't orange up your seats. I have a big bottle of it and if anyone wants it and lives in SoCal, PM me.

My paint seems nearly perfect and I want to keep it that way.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:08 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

To be honest, there are so many waxes and sealants out there that it is impossible for anyone to know which one is best. With that being said, "best" is a completely subjective term anyways as some people will value certain characteristics more than others.

My personal favorite wax would be Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax.

If you're looking for a longer lasting, very easy to apply paint sealant (synthetic wax), I would recommend either Jescar Power Lock or Blackfire Wet Diamond.

Hope that helps!

-Zach
Old 02-18-2017, 01:13 PM
symphx
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tcp global anyone ?Random Orbit polishers (appears better than porter cable)?

6" Variable Speed Random Orbit Dual-Action Polisher; 6 Pad Buffing & Polishing Kit

anyone have experience with these, nice package, Higher amps than porter cable
Old 04-24-2017, 11:10 AM
PandaX
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have what is an average for full paint correction cost plus detailing? Or something that I can do myself to remove minor scratches and swirl marks to my car?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:28 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by PandaX
Do you have what is an average for full paint correction cost plus detailing? Or something that I can do myself to remove minor scratches and swirl marks to my car?
I'm going to just about bet the answer is "It depends." Condition of the car, amount of detail expected, etc. Zach could probably hit you with a ballpark of what he would charge, but it's likely to be different than your local.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
So what ceramic coating do you guys recommend? Im looking for something that will provide a minimum of 2 years protection and have a easy application method as I will be DIY'ing it. Thanks.

Been looking at CQuartz, Migliore Strata (not familiar with but great reviews), MD Ceramic 600 Pro, and the Adam's Polishes ceramic kit (although reviews are extremely mixed here)
Old 05-02-2017, 10:05 AM
motobonsai

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have experience with satin wraps? Any advice at all is appreciated.

Can Anyone Point me to some products that would help with a satin wrap?
Old 05-15-2017, 10:28 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
So what ceramic coating do you guys recommend? Im looking for something that will provide a minimum of 2 years protection and have a easy application method as I will be DIY'ing it. Thanks.

Been looking at CQuartz, Migliore Strata (not familiar with but great reviews), MD Ceramic 600 Pro, and the Adam's Polishes ceramic kit (although reviews are extremely mixed here)
My current favorite paint coating is GTechniq Crystal Serum Light. It is very easy to use, produces a nice slick finish, and I have been testing it on my own daily driver for a year now and it is performing very nicely.

Initial Impressions: Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light (CSL) by Zach McGovern

-Zach
Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 AM
tank99
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My father-in-law asked me to help him with his wheels on a 2011 Ford Explorer. As you can see in the pics, they have what seems to be a baked on cleaner or polish. We tried rubbing compound among other things with no luck. I think these are polished aluminum wheels (not a plastic cover like some) and the only path forward would be a power tool (power ball with aluminum polish?) or maybe a clay bar to get this off and clean them up.

Any recommendations for getting this off? It's on all 4 wheels and is mostly on the inner part of the wheel spoke, not on the face of the wheel.

Edit - I wanted to add you can feel it, so i'm pretty sure it's a surface contaminant.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:54 AM
Slatey
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been asked here before, but can 2 layers of Meguiar's M21 sealant be applied to a vehicle a few days apart? Or at all? Is multiple layers even recommended?

I ran into a bit of a dilemma, but here's my thoughts:

I clayed, compounded, polished, and applied a layer of M21, but the the following evening (roughly 36 hours later) it began to rain and has been raining for a few days.

I want to give the car another good wash with some mothers car soap as to not strip the first layer and apply another layer with my Makita BO5041K.

Thoughts?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by tank99
My father-in-law asked me to help him with his wheels on a 2011 Ford Explorer. As you can see in the pics, they have what seems to be a baked on cleaner or polish. We tried rubbing compound among other things with no luck. I think these are polished aluminum wheels (not a plastic cover like some) and the only path forward would be a power tool (power ball with aluminum polish?) or maybe a clay bar to get this off and clean them up.

Any recommendations for getting this off? It's on all 4 wheels and is mostly on the inner part of the wheel spoke, not on the face of the wheel.

Edit - I wanted to add you can feel it, so i'm pretty sure it's a surface contaminant.
I can't say I recognize whatever it is... but if you can feel it and you are sure you are feeling an above surface contaminant and not some sort of scratch or etching, then I would start with a clay bar. Given that you have tried some rubbing compound, I would not expect detailing clay to have any effect, but you never know.

From there I would begin experimenting with some solvents... tar removeer, mineral spirits, etc.

In the end, if nothing wants to remove the contaminant chemically, your only other option would be to do it mechanically (ie with abrasives). So you would need to attempt machine polishing with a cutting compound to see if that has any positive effect. If not, you may be in for a complete sand and refinishing of the wheel, including repainting them.

Originally Posted by Slatey
I'm not sure if this has been asked here before, but can 2 layers of Meguiar's M21 sealant be applied to a vehicle a few days apart? Or at all? Is multiple layers even recommended?

I ran into a bit of a dilemma, but here's my thoughts:

I clayed, compounded, polished, and applied a layer of M21, but the the following evening (roughly 36 hours later) it began to rain and has been raining for a few days.

I want to give the car another good wash with some mothers car soap as to not strip the first layer and apply another layer with my Makita BO5041K.

Thoughts?
You can absolutely reapply another layer of M21 days later as long as the vehicle has been washed again immediately prior to applying the new layer. Multiple layers help to ensure even coverage, and may slightly enhance the gloss, however it is certainly not necessary to do more than 1 layer.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:51 PM
Slatey
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
You can absolutely reapply another layer of M21 days later as long as the vehicle has been washed again immediately prior to applying the new layer. Multiple layers help to ensure even coverage, and may slightly enhance the gloss, however it is certainly not necessary to do more than 1 layer.
Thanks for the quick response. Also, what is your opinion of Meguiar's M21 non abrasive sealant? How long does it typically last if well maintained?

Edit: Would applying a product like Power Lock over it affect either sealant's longevity?

Sorry for the random questions, I just like to experiment.

Last edited by Slatey; 05-21-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:57 PM
tank99
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I can't say I recognize whatever it is... but if you can feel it and you are sure you are feeling an above surface contaminant and not some sort of scratch or etching, then I would start with a clay bar. Given that you have tried some rubbing compound, I would not expect detailing clay to have any effect, but you never know.

From there I would begin experimenting with some solvents... tar removeer, mineral spirits, etc.

In the end, if nothing wants to remove the contaminant chemically, your only other option would be to do it mechanically (ie with abrasives). So you would need to attempt machine polishing with a cutting compound to see if that has any positive effect. If not, you may be in for a complete sand and refinishing of the wheel, including repainting them.

Thanks for the response The car should be at my place in a couple weekends, i'll try some stuff I have here, my selection is much bigger than his. I didn;t really get chance to try much myself so hopefully i'll have a chance...will let you know what (hopefully) worked!
The following users liked this post:
Detailed Image (05-22-2017)

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image