Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Should I trade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:40 PM
astic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I trade?

This is my first post on the forum but I've lurked for a few months. I'm really into g37 and g35's even though I don't own one, and now I might have the opportunity.

The car in question is a 2010 G37 Journey Coupe @ 100k miles. It has a clean carfax but 4 owners.

The car is for sale by a dealer, and I inquired about trading my 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI SE+ @ 51k for it. The salesman said that he'd likely be able to offer a straight across trade with a warranty added. My car wholesales for about $1000 more so that seemed reasonable. I haven't gone to test drive it yet but I'm planning to do so tomorrow.

Is 100k high for an 8 year old Infiniti? Looking around the forum it doesn't seem too bad but I just want to know what's around the corner in terms of maintenance.

It had the water pump replaced @ 60k and has a decent service record with all major work being done at dealers. They just threw new Hankook all seasons on it and on the aftermarket rims it comes with it looks pretty fresh.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site!
Hard to say regarding the trade, 100k miles isn't too excessive for a 2010, Would be good to know if they replaced the oil gallery gasket when they replaced the water pump though. This gasket in models prior to 2012 was solid paper and is the only weak link, it's been upgraded to a metal lined gasket which is good since it's at least a $1500 repair bill Maybe you can get the original repair listing if it's on dealer record.
Also 4 owners is a bit disconcerting, I'd be sure to really give this a good inspection and extensive test drive.
Good luck w/ your transaction, and let us know how it turns out.
The following users liked this post:
astic (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:38 AM
astic

Would you be able to point out any red flags if I link you the carfax?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:02 AM
astic

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site!
Hard to say regarding the trade, 100k miles isn't too excessive for a 2010, Would be good to know if they replaced the oil gallery gasket when they replaced the water pump though. This gasket in models prior to 2012 was solid paper and is the only weak link, it's been upgraded to a metal lined gasket which is good since it's at least a $1500 repair bill Maybe you can get the original repair listing if it's on dealer record.
Also 4 owners is a bit disconcerting, I'd be sure to really give this a good inspection and extensive test drive.
Good luck w/ your transaction, and let us know how it turns out.
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...5873AF5#Owner1

Looks like it's actually 3 owners and Carfax is reporting 4. Couldn't find anything specifically mentioning the gasket so maybe that's a deal breaker. Appreciate the heads up on that, that's why I came to the forum in the first place!

Old 10-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
What's your location? Asking because you might want to consider the impact of hidden corrosion on a 8-9 year old car with 100k miles.

Honestly, my gut says don't do it. A straight up trade for a car that's four year older and twice the miles, that doesn't seem reasonable. And you can't really argue that the trade is upward anyway because the G is special... it's just a Journey.

Take a step back, take a deep breath, and take your time. You already have a fine car, and all the time in the world to make a move into something else.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:19 AM
astic

Originally Posted by Rochester
What's your location? Asking because you might want to consider the impact of hidden corrosion on a 8-9 year old car with 100k miles.

Honestly, my gut says don't do it. A straight up trade for a car that's four year older and twice the miles, that doesn't seem reasonable. And you can't really argue that the trade is upward anyway because the G is special... it's just a Journey.

Take a step back, take a deep breath, and take your time. You already have a fine car, and all the time in the world to make a move into something else.

They’re california miles. I’m not too concerned about corrosion but I appreciate the heads up. How much would he have to add til you think it’s worth it? A 3 year warranty?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by astic
They’re california miles. I’m not too concerned about corrosion but I appreciate the heads up. How much would he have to add til you think it’s worth it? A 3 year warranty?
Hard to imaging anybody giving a 3 year warranty on a 8 year old car with 100k miles, but that sure would be a game-changer.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:05 AM
astic

Hard to imaging anybody giving a 3 year warranty on a 8 year old car with 100k miles, but that sure would be a game-changer.
You’re right. They seem desperate to move this though, and they’ve already lowered their ask from 16k to under $13 though. My car still has 2 years of warranty on it but once that’s up I’m much more scared about the yearly upkeep of a Volkswagen group car than a Nissan. Regardless though, I think it’d be more than fair for him to match the warranty. I sent him a text in regards to the oil gallery gasket to see if he has any documentation. Do you think it’s a solid choice if he at least matches 2 years?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Do you think it’s a solid choice if he at least matches 2 years?
It would certainly give you two years peace of mind, and god knows there's value in that on a used car.

I think you're looking for any way to rationalize a gut feeling about something you want. And really, there's nothing terribly wrong with that, just own it and don't pretend you're making good choices. A 100k mile (non-Sport) suspension... a 100k mile (automatic) transmission... 100k miles on the (non-Sport) steering rack... a 100k miles on a rear diff (without LSD)...

That's a lot to consider. Like I said, if it were a Sport Package Coupe, and certainly better if it were a private sale.

I wouldn't do it, but I'm not you.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:39 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Personally I would look for the S model. You get some extra features for your money.
Bigger brakes, paddle shifters, sport wheels, sport facia and sideskirts, quicker steering ratio, tuned suspension. I think its worth it to look for one.

I think I saw the car you are considering, it looks like it has aftermarket wheels on it (black?)

All other things being considered it looks like a solid choice. But I would squeeze more off the price.

The first 2 owners were probably husband/ wife. The husband bought it then added his wife to the title or vice versa

I also like to have any used vehicle that I purchase looked over by a mechanic. Anything that needs repair, use that as pricing leverage.

if they can provide the extra warranty however, that alone is probably worth the new asking price.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:47 AM
astic

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Personally I would look for the S model. You get some extra features for your money.
Bigger brakes, paddle shifters, sport wheels, sport facia and sideskirts, quicker steering ratio, tuned suspension. I think its worth it to look for one.

I think I saw the car you are considering, it looks like it has aftermarket wheels on it (black?)

All other things being considered it looks like a solid choice. But I would squeeze more off the price.

The first 2 owners were probably husband/ wife. The husband bought it then added his wife to the title or vice versa

I also like to have any used vehicle that I purchase looked over by a mechanic. Anything that needs repair, use that as pricing leverage.

if they can provide the extra warranty however, that alone is probably worth the new asking price.
Wondering if the best way to ask for even more than a warranty is for them to certify it first? If they’re unwilling to certify it than maybe that’s all I need to know.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

"Infiniti Certified Pre-Owned vehicles must be 6 model years old or newer and have less than 70,000 miles from the original in-service date"

So, that's a hard no. And CPO is mostly a marketing scam anyway.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Short answer Hell No ! IMHO
Old 10-11-2018, 12:16 PM
astic

"Infiniti Certified Pre-Owned vehicles must be 6 model years old or newer and have less than 70,000 miles from the original in-service date"

So, that's a hard no. And CPO is mostly a marketing scam anyway.

Gotcha. Learning a lot from this thread, I'm glad I reached out.

I'm going to test drive it tonight just to check it out, will report back and take some pics. Is there anything in particular that I should keep an eye out for?

Thank you.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Gotcha. Learning a lot from this thread, I'm glad I reached out.

I'm going to test drive it tonight just to check it out, will report back and take some pics. Is there anything in particular that I should keep an eye out for?

Thank you.
Nah, just drive it. I assume this is an Infiniti dealership, since you were asking about CPO.

If I were your father, I'd say don't do it. Save your money, make better choices. But I'm just some guy online, and it seems like you really want to get into this car... so if you can't fight the feeling, just give in and roll with your choices. One of the most simple rationalizations for stuff like this is that life is short. Particularly if you can do it with a straight-up trade and a nice, long warranty (which I still very much doubt.)

You're welcome.
The following users liked this post:
astic (10-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Should I trade?