Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Should I trade?

Old 10-12-2018, 11:05 AM
astic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
That choppy AT isn't going to change. Just the nature of the beast with the auto in these cars.
I was linked a beautiful 2012 IPL manual example @ only 85k for a similar price, but when I ran it by my mom she said manual is out of the question. Really might just wait until I’m 18 so I can do as I wish but now that I drove that one yesterday I’ve been bit by the bug.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by astic
I was linked a beautiful 2012 IPL manual example @ only 85k for a similar price, but when I ran it by my mom she said manual is out of the question. Really might just wait until I’m 18 so I can do as I wish but now that I drove that one yesterday I’ve been bit by the bug.
2012 IPL 6MT would be an amazing car to own, at any age. 345 hp, sport suspension, steering & exhaust... yeah, that would be sweet.

And as far as turning 18 goes... you might not want to fly that independence flag until you move out. Just saying, keep the peace.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:22 AM
astic

Originally Posted by Rochester
2012 IPL 6MT would be an amazing car to own, at any age. 345 hp, sport suspension, steering & exhaust... yeah, that would be sweet.

And as far as turning 18 goes... you might not want to fly that independence flag until you move out. Just saying, keep the peace.
I’d be going off to school ~4 months after I turn 18. Likely somewhere in the Southern California area or Arizona so I can take the car with me. Since the manual is out of the question, I linked that car to the dealer I visited yesterday. Not sure if mom will bite on a 100k car (even though her 2012 Honda Pilot is @ 150k) but I’ll see if that guy will at least offer, since that’s the same ask as their journey coupe.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

A lot of colleges don't allow freshmen to have cars if they live in the dorms. Might want to look into that.

Hmm, lots of personal info going on here, but it is an advice thread after all
Old 10-12-2018, 02:12 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
100% chance I would've killed myself if I had anything more than the 118 horses my Mazda could provide...I raced everything I got behind the wheel of. Good times.

Our new Mod makes a good point about the college parking policy though. Why even deal with this now when there's a possibility you won't even be able to enjoy the G?

My take: The G37 isn't going anywhere. Get to college, get settled and see what's what before making any moves. Just an opinion.

Then again, I was 17-18 not too long ago so I know what I'm suggesting sucks.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:36 PM
astic

Originally Posted by RMB5190
100% chance I would've killed myself if I had anything more than the 118 horses my Mazda could provide...I raced everything I got behind the wheel of. Good times.

Our new Mod makes a good point about the college parking policy though. Why even deal with this now when there's a possibility you won't even be able to enjoy the G?

My take: The G37 isn't going anywhere. Get to college, get settled and see what's what before making any moves. Just an opinion.

Then again, I was 17-18 not too long ago so I know what I'm suggesting sucks.
All of the schools that I've applied to so far do allow freshman to have cars, byproduct of living out in the south west where you need a car to get anywhere. That's a great point though and something to consider if I end up at a reach school.

Turns out that 2012 Isnt a manual and may not be an IPL, still seems clean and if anything that just gives me more leverage. I'm going to test drive it next week and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by astic
Turns out that 2012 Isnt a manual and may not be an IPL, still seems clean and if anything that just gives me more leverage. I'm going to test drive it next week and let you guys know how it goes.
No 6MT and not an IPL... Or it may or may not be an IPL? Seriously?

Those are two really big considerations that you just glossed over and said "seems clean".

If anything, that lack of perspective is strong argument to sit down and think twice. Take a month off from this project and let it sit in your head for a while.
The following users liked this post:
astic (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 02:56 PM
astic

Originally Posted by Rochester
No 6MT and not an IPL... Or it may or may not be an IPL? Seriously?

Those are two really big considerations that you just glossed over and said "seems clean".

If anything, that lack of perspective is strong argument to sit down and think twice. Take a month off from this project and let it sit in your head for a while.
The fact that it is manual was actually going to be a reason that I couldn't get it. Having never driven anything else, even the base coupe I drove yesterday had steering and power that was leaps and bounds beyond my current car. They're checking on the trim as we speak, but from the pics it doesn't look like an IPL even though they stated on the site it was.

EDIT: The car is in fact an IPL, the reason I thought it looked so clean was due to the fact that it is an IPL . Don't be too ashamed of my cavalier attitude, I have a very financially conservative mother pulling back the reigns.

Last edited by astic; 10-12-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:52 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Do yo really want to park a nice [or one perceived as nice] car on campus?

If you have the need for speed, get a motorcycle. Well maybe not. I got my first bike well into my 20's. Probably would of caused significant bodily harm if I got one earlier.

Best advice: Listen to your mom, she knows best