Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Considering a 2009 G37x with 125,000 miles... Yeah!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Botlerocketwar
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Considering a 2009 G37x with 125,000 miles... Yeah!??

Hi All,

I've been looking to spend about $10K on a used car. I currently drive a 2005 BMW 325i, and I am looking to move to a car that is

1) Significantly more reliable,
2) All-wheel drive for trips skiing (with skis inside), and
3) As enjoyable or more enjoyable to drive than my 325i

I've found a 2009 G37x with the Premium Package that has been well maintained via documented transmission fluid changes, brand new Michelin a/s 3+'s, brakes, rotors, power steering bump, drive belt, synthetic oil, aftermarket bluetooth for music, clean wheels, etc.... The body and interior are extremely clean and in really awesome shape, maybe especially for the Bay Area. The price feels right.

Downsides are that the drivers side left seat cushion bolster is flat, spark plugs have never been changed (owner told me the dealer said it wasn't worth it unless performance is noticeable degraded), and there may be the absolute slightest of rattles/rumbles from the front suspension (nobody else seemed to hear it except me). Overall, however, this thing appears to be in exceptional shape, but I haven't driven many used G37's.

I'm a huge fan of BMW 328xi of the same generation, and have been struggling with the decision to buy an Infinity instead. However, I am mostly sold on the Infinity due to perceived robustness and reliability (excluding interior quality, which I'm also struggling to come to terms with), how well this one has been maintained, the amount of car you get per dollar (I may get for $9K), decreased maintenance and repair cost, and the fact that it is AWD, has amazing tires, and can hold skis without ski rackets.

My questions:
  1. Is this car going to be as reliable and trouble-free as it seems? Is the timing chain cover gasket issue something I should take seriously, and as a result, reason enough to avoid buying a used G37?
  2. Will I regret not buying the better driving/more balanced 328xi (realizing this may be a contentious statement)?
  3. Is there anything I should be looking at more specifically before jumping in and handing over the cash?
Thanks!

Last edited by Botlerocketwar; 10-22-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:30 AM
Botlerocketwar
Registered Member

I ended up buying it.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:54 PM
Gus_Mahn
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Botlerocketwar
I ended up buying it.
Good luck to you. I believe that the G37 is a pretty good platform, but it's not perfect. We've only been driving my wife's '11xs sedan for about a month. It only has 36,000 miles, so I'm hoping for a good long run for both of us.

I like the way BMW's look and drive, but will probably never own one. Just last week, one of my coworkers with whom I've had many arguments with about BMW's lack of quality/reliability, lost the 3.0T engine in his 60,000 mile $20,000 BMW certified 2012 X5, that he's had for about three months. He didn't buy the $4,000 warranty, and BMW told him $17,000 to install a new engine, and $12,000 for a used one
Old 11-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
WTF is a certified BMW? You'd think it would have a long powertrain warranty like our certified infiniti's.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:44 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
German cars are finicky to begin with and you need to be on top of their maintenance with full synthetics. They are completely unforgiving and there's no telling what kind of abuse the previous owner put the car through. Just because they were the first owner does not mean they could actually afford the car or knew you couldn't neglect it like a '95 Honda. That's why you never buy used German without a warranty.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:53 AM
nguyem01

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Gus_Mah, I just purchase similar G like your, 2010 37x, 120k miles. One similar that I notice was the rattles/rumbles noise from the front driver side however before you thinking about tires, that may not be an issues because I just replace all 4 tires and the noise still there, I suspect the bearing but need further diagnostic. Like you said I went to 3 difference dealers and no one can identify the noise. Did the previous owner change out transmission fluid by dealer or local shop? the reason I ask because those are seal transmission, also look at the invoice and verify what kind of ATF did they put it your car if not service by dealer.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Botlerocketwar
Registered Member

The car has been really great. I am impressed with the general feeling of robustness and reliability, which almost encourages aggressive driving. Sort of the opposite feeling that I got from my previous BMW. I've since had the car into a great mechanic for an oil change and a thorough inspection, including an investigation into the small front end rattle.

The mechanic verified that there is a clunk, and they suspect that the issue is internal to the front right strut mount. There is nothing loose, and they feel the control arms, ball joints, end links, etc..., are all very solid and in great shape.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone ever had a clunk (it's constant when driving over a rough road at low speeds, and very noticeable) verified to be sourced from the upper strut mount? It's a ridiculous amount of trouble to replace the strut mounts as it requires removing/installing the entire strut, so really not looking forward to this. The mechanic feels there is no safety risk, but the noise is certainly annoying, and noticeable by passengers.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:45 AM
nguyem01

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Strut mount bearing are known problems to this type of car also don't over look the engine mount too.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:57 PM
PatChab

Completely agree

Originally Posted by Botlerocketwar
The car has been really great. I am impressed with the general feeling of robustness and reliability, which almost encourages aggressive driving. Sort of the opposite feeling that I got from my previous BMW. I've since had the car into a great mechanic for an oil change and a thorough inspection, including an investigation into the small front end rattle.

The mechanic verified that there is a clunk, and they suspect that the issue is internal to the front right strut mount. There is nothing loose, and they feel the control arms, ball joints, end links, etc..., are all very solid and in great shape.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone ever had a clunk (it's constant when driving over a rough road at low speeds, and very noticeable) verified to be sourced from the upper strut mount? It's a ridiculous amount of trouble to replace the strut mounts as it requires removing/installing the entire strut, so really not looking forward to this. The mechanic feels there is no safety risk, but the noise is certainly annoying, and noticeable by passengers.
I went from a 325Ci (Covertible 2005) to a 2013 G37X 2013 -- I wish I had done it sooner. I tested the Infiniti and liked it a lot. Funny thing, I also heard the estrange rattling noise, the dealership had two others on the lot, so I tested then as well. They were another G37x and a Q40 AWD -- they all had it. That made me feel better and bought the car. BTW -- in my case the noise was a bit on the drivers side.
Best of luck and let us know if you get to the bottom of it.