Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Do you feel that most car salesman are scum?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:53 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by General Grim
I enjoyed reading the stories and opinions. Thanks for both. This was a time in my life where I was so busy at work and school that for some odd reason I did not research well enough. I did research the G37's reliability and specs, and found out that brand new it cost around 33k for the Journey. With that in mind, I thought 25k was a bargain. We did go over the paperwork, but we really concentrated in lowering my monthly payments instead of the total price. I was also a bit rushed because I was racking up the miles in my leased car, and my "friend" or the agent informed to trade it in ASAP so the trade in value of the BMW would still be good. I truly considered this person a friend and not once did it cross my mind that he would pull of a scammy deal. I was also elated with the hospitality of the dealership employees and the manager made it seem he had genuine intentions to help. Little did I know it was a plastic front to make money. I made an appointment with my friend for a test drive and I fell in love with the car. He and a couple of employees checked my BMW and told me I had to trade it in that day or else my car would lose value and I would end up losing more money if I racked up more miles and added wear and tear to the car. Later that day I traded in the BMW and was on my pre-owned G37. Over all I accept all criticism and learned from my mistake. Out of all the people in the world, I thought that "friend" of mine would be the last person to pull of something shady.
This is car salesman tactics 101. Used the ol' 4-square tactic on you where they want you to focus on monthly payments while raising the cost of everything else so they burn you for more money as the loan runs its course. Happens to most man. In all honesty, I bought my Lancer while I was in a tight spot like yourself and got took. Buying a car while in desperation mode puts you in a real bad spot from the beginning; but I've been in your spot and can totally relate. Ended up paying +3-4k more than the car was worth and had to roll the negative equity since I was also taken by USAA when I got screwed in my loan. I had a car note of 12k at 9-10% on a car worth 8k max, with a 720+ Credit score...Not as bad but you're not alone here.

Don't let it get to you too much. As my grandma says, "it is what it is; then it was what it was". Spilled milk as you said but I wouldn't resent the car by any means....don't forget, the only reason this car is even affordable like it is, is because the Q came out...Without the Q, the G would still be priced higher since there would be no "new model". Bottom line - you got a pretty bada** car that will last for years and is fun to drive that would probably be demanding an extra $3-5k right now if the Q never came out.
The following users liked this post:
General Grim (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 09:27 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
RMB5190:
Hey man thanks for the great advice. Sucks too that you had to go through a bad car deal like I did, but I am glad we both ended up having a nice car. I do not resent the car at all. I love it by all means, but it bugs me from time to time that I could have at least got the Sport model. Anyway I did not know that was the reason why so many Gs are such a bargain. It does make sense that the Q is much more on demand especially with the new Red Sport! It is all good because I am keeping this car for a long time.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:37 AM
JWade

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to bring up a 3 month old thread but kind of interested in this thread. I work for a Chrysler-Jeep and Infiniti dealership as a Internet sales manager. Been here 4 months and I haven't heard or seen too much shady ****. The most I've seen is people hiding factory defects or scratches and once they are off the lot, its no longer the dealerships issue.

I had the same assumptions that salesman are scummy but this dealership doesnt deal with alot of stuff like that and they do pretty well because of it. Although there are still some old school sales people here who have that money mentality.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:36 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

People can genuinely tell when someone is trying to take advantage of them. If they feel like they can trust you, they will be back and will refer others. Be honest, Don't be pushy, and sell yourself.

I'll travel the extra distance to deal with someone I feel comfortable with rather than deal with someone who is fake in my own backyard.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:41 PM
hahaLIFE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a friend that owns a used car lot in the North Jersey area. He by far the most honest, up front, no bs owner I've ever come across when it comes to the car market. Because of this his business is now booming with repeat customers and referrals. Its amazing what honesty and reliability can do for a company.
The following users liked this post:
JWade (09-23-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Are you kidding me????? I think they are groomed by satan himself!!!!!

They act like they are your friend just to lower your guard and stab you in the back multiple times like Brutus!!!

Then after you have been @ss F#cked by this jerkoff you get reemed by the finance guy even if you have your own financing. They try to switch things around and make you believe you need an extended warrenty or some other bs add on.

Dealer are worse than our current president!!!!!
Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Dang, sorry you got ripped off by a friend, OP. But lesson learned.

And don't get too hung up about the sport model. Biggest things you're missing out on are paddle shifters, sport seats, suspension and LSD. No HP difference.

If you want sportier handling, just get a couple of suspension mods like springs and sway bars. I would get those mods even in my IPL and the cost would be the same.

The biggest things you'll notice on the daily are the paddle shifters and the sport seats. I actually hate the sport seats. They're way too high up (i'm tall) and are way too narrow for my comfort. I'm actually going to get new aftermarket seats.

Paddles are cool and all, but you really don't use them so often. At least I don't. On my last BMW, I negotiated a car with zsp but somehow it didn't have paddles(didn't know that was possible); I still ended up getting the car but it always annoyed me that I didn't have paddles. It was always a reminder to me that I didn't pay enough attention to the details and just assumed. Way more a mental thing that I put upon myself than anything else. Thinking back, it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Think of it this way, if it bothers you that much you can always buy them aftermarket. But if you don't think it's worth it, you know it's not that big of a deal then.

You should have just kept the bmw too. Over mileage fees aren't that bad. Just call financial at least a month before the end your term and negotiate more miles. You'll pay basically the same price per mile as you would on the signing table. Maybe 5 cent more, but maybe not; I can't remember for certain right now. I usually always go over by 5-10k miles.

Originally Posted by Randy Johnson
Are you kidding me????? I think they are groomed by satan himself!!!!!

They act like they are your friend just to lower your guard and stab you in the back multiple times like Brutus!!!

Then after you have been @ss F#cked by this jerkoff you get reemed by the finance guy even if you have your own financing. They try to switch things around and make you believe you need an extended warrenty or some other bs add on.

Dealer are worse than our current president!!!!!

Just look at the bottom line and review all the line items. It's just any other business transaction.

Why do you think they're your friends anyway? When you eat at a restaurant, the friendly staff aren't your friends either. Same with retail or customer service. They're paid to be nice to you.

Last edited by kroy; 10-17-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by kroy

And don't get too hung up about the sport model. Biggest things you're missing out on are paddle shifters, sport seats, suspension and LSD. No HP difference.
And BBK. And the faster ratio sport steering. And the more aggressive gears to go along with the LSD.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
They're not scum, they're opportunists. If you don't understand math or basic finance, that is an opportunity.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by COBRA ESQ
or when you see the contract you are about to sign there are "standard industry fees" for dealer prep, costs for them to register the car ("no you can't opt out"), advertising costs etc. or best yet the price does not reflect retail markup from the wholesale price.
Always ask about additional fees over the phone before you arrive. If they lied to you, walk. That or when you decide on a fair trade value for your car, and they prepare all the paperwork, hit them with a $900 dealer trade prep charge (you did wash and vacuum the car before having it appraised, right?) And a $600 delivery fee for driving the car to them.

they love it when you waste their time back.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:52 PM
nappy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to trade my G for a truck. I looked at the Nissan Frontier. The sales guy was great.

i used Cargurus.com to compile a list of prices in the area. Told them beat the lowest I found and we have a deal.

Then......the sales manager came over..he talked so fast it was like playing a shell game. I think he was trying to say they don't want to give me what I want for my trade...he talked about some kind of buy back with another dealer??
I stood up picked up my keys walked out without saying one word. The look on his face was priceless.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:12 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I use Gurus as well but team that with Cars.com and Carsforsale.com and really get a plethora of prices. I like to use Gurus to try to close a deal though since the dealers on there are typically legit.

I mean, with the availability of the internet and NADA, I find dealerships are up the creek without a paddle, so to speak, when it comes to justifying asking prices above the norm in the area. Secure your own financing before walking in the door and that takes care of that. Now, I find it's more of a game finding out the real condition of the car before signing on the line. Carfax doesn't tell you the car was repaired at home or that the previous owner was drinking the kool-aid when told the fluids are lifetime and don't need changing...
Old 10-19-2017, 07:34 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
And BBK. And the faster ratio sport steering. And the more aggressive gears to go along with the LSD.
did not know that. that's pretty cool actually

i do wish my steering was even heavier like bmw though.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:23 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Reviving an old thread here but I was not aware more people answered. Thanks again for all your responses. I am the OP and this was actually my first vehicle purchase besides my leased BMW. The reason why I trusted the salesman was because I actually considered him a friend. We knew each other even before he became a car sales man so he was the last person I would expected to pull off something shady. Anyway I love my G, but wished I got the Sport package or at least negotiated the price lower. I bought the car 2 years ago for 24k and I see so many Pre owned Gs now a days for as low as 16k with less miles and more features. Oh well. I learned my hard lesson. Just for giggles I contacted that "friend/sales man" and tried to ask a small favor. He just read the message and never replied. I then asked a mutual friend who knows about my situation to contact him about purchasing a car in their dealership and he quickly responded. Lol. Thanks again for replying. Hopefully someone will learn a thing or two from this thread.