Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Do you feel that most car salesman are scum?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:10 PM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear but RESEARCH is KEY in anything that you purchase. Don't use that person for business again. Research the hell out of anything, especially a car.

First car I bought on my own, I was told it was great!!! - next thing I knew the transmission was slipping and in the dealer shop over 5 times (was a 2010 purchased in 2014 - was a american car) but besides the point of that lol, after selling it, I read that model was NOT the best to purchase. I failed as the consumer and I blame myself.

I am not coming at you negatively, just saying, be the best consumer you can be when purchasing.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:11 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Choose your friends carefully. Never know what their true agenda may be.

It's really a shame. I got burned some years back when I brought on two acquaintances to a job. We needed bodies and I've known these two for a few years (not close as close friends but as someone who I thought could be reliable, good work ethic, etc..). Got stabbed in the back and thrown under the bus real good. Lesson learned.
The following users liked this post:
General Grim (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 12:44 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I agree with you entirely and under normal circumstances this is what should be done but in OP's case this was someone they considered a friend.
I don't trust anyone when $$ is involved
Old 05-31-2017, 03:42 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I don't trust anyone when $$ is involved
Roger. That.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:01 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I agree with you entirely and under normal circumstances this is what should be done but in OP's case this was someone they considered a friend. You don't expect someone that you considered yourself to be close with to betray you while facilitating something you aren't familiar with. He let his guard down and got bit. Hard lesson learned but recoverable.

Edit: I happen to like the guys I've made the last two purchases from. I can't express enough how having a salesman you can trust is worth their weight in gold. In my experience, you can tell within the first sentence whether or not they're trustworthy.
As I said before, friend or not it was on him to look over paperwork and do his own due diligence. Even buying a car off a trusted friend I would still look it over before I bought it. My brother would be the only person I probably wouldn't look a car over if I was buying from him, and that is because I would probably have done 90% of the work on the car anyway.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:04 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
  1. Knowing an appropriate selling price for any car is on you, the buyer.
  2. Each purchase is a learning experience, but via the internet, today you have all the information you need about any car's price before you enter any dealership. With the wealth of information available today no one should be taken buying a car. It's on you the buyer to be armed with knowledge about a specific car before entering any dealership, IMHO.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:47 PM
Born2lse

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea I pretty much assume so. When I went in to purchase my g37 one of the sales managers pressured me into signing for them run my credit even though I was pretty adamant about the fact that I already had financing taken care of. He basically said I needed to sign so they could look up my load request which made sense at the time because I showed up in a salvaged 2000 corolla hungover after a night of drinking at a bonfire.

I ended up picking up my 2013 journey with 28k miles for 25k which was a little high but I I'm not much of a negotiator. For reference my roommate knew a "friend" at a dealership who sold him a 2014 Hyundai elantra with 20k miles for over 20k. I did a quick search and it definitely should have been under 20k at least around 17k at the time.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:46 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I enjoyed reading the stories and opinions. Thanks for both. This was a time in my life where I was so busy at work and school that for some odd reason I did not research well enough. I did research the G37's reliability and specs, and found out that brand new it cost around 33k for the Journey. With that in mind, I thought 25k was a bargain. We did go over the paperwork, but we really concentrated in lowering my monthly payments instead of the total price. I was also a bit rushed because I was racking up the miles in my leased car, and my "friend" or the agent informed to trade it in ASAP so the trade in value of the BMW would still be good. I truly considered this person a friend and not once did it cross my mind that he would pull of a scammy deal. I was also elated with the hospitality of the dealership employees and the manager made it seem he had genuine intentions to help. Little did I know it was a plastic front to make money. I made an appointment with my friend for a test drive and I fell in love with the car. He and a couple of employees checked my BMW and told me I had to trade it in that day or else my car would lose value and I would end up losing more money if I racked up more miles and added wear and tear to the car. Later that day I traded in the BMW and was on my pre-owned G37. Over all I accept all criticism and learned from my mistake. Out of all the people in the world, I thought that "friend" of mine would be the last person to pull of something shady.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:52 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

I dont have the paperwork in hand ATM, but from what I remember the car was 25k. Taxes brought it up to 28k. I still owed almost 5 -6k on the lease and my friend added "premium" servces for a good price which was gap and additional warranty and it totaled up to 37k. Pisses me off thinking about it, but it there is no point in crying over spilled milk. I would not be upset if he at least got me the Sport model. I heard the S model had paddle shifters and was a better car over all in terms of performance and sportiness. I was doing research in trying to convert my Journey to an S and it would cost me a good amount of $$$.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Unfortunately the car business is one w/ no specific way of doing things. Being inexperienced and uninformed are recipes for disaster as Mr. Grim found out firsthand.

Most of us that have done auto transactions over the years have had a couple bad apples, either a bad deal, or a bad car, or both.

Luckily most of the mysterious aspects of car buying have been drastically diminished w/ the info available on the web. But being able to take the upper hand during a transaction isn't something that everyone is able to do.

Never hurts to take someone with you that's "been there, done that" if you're not feeling like that's your strong suit.

Sorry to hear about your "buddy" taking advantage of you and you're not happy w/driving a lesser car than you paid for. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, albeit an expensive one, but hopefully you still enjoy the drive
General Grim (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:27 AM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by General Grim
I enjoyed reading the stories and opinions. Thanks for both. This was a time in my life where I was so busy at work and school that for some odd reason I did not research well enough. I did research the G37's reliability and specs, and found out that brand new it cost around 33k for the Journey. With that in mind, I thought 25k was a bargain. We did go over the paperwork, but we really concentrated in lowering my monthly payments instead of the total price. I was also a bit rushed because I was racking up the miles in my leased car, and my "friend" or the agent informed to trade it in ASAP so the trade in value of the BMW would still be good. I truly considered this person a friend and not once did it cross my mind that he would pull of a scammy deal. I was also elated with the hospitality of the dealership employees and the manager made it seem he had genuine intentions to help. Little did I know it was a plastic front to make money. I made an appointment with my friend for a test drive and I fell in love with the car. He and a couple of employees checked my BMW and told me I had to trade it in that day or else my car would lose value and I would end up losing more money if I racked up more miles and added wear and tear to the car. Later that day I traded in the BMW and was on my pre-owned G37. Over all I accept all criticism and learned from my mistake. Out of all the people in the world, I thought that "friend" of mine would be the last person to pull of something shady.
Sounds like you put nothing down$$$ on your G and rolled 4k in negative equity. Then to top it off you had sales tax and MVD fees and whatever else. Sure, the same car is 17k now. But, 2 yrs ago. I guarantee there were no 2013's for 17k. In fact I paid 25k for my '13 also (just a yr and a half ago) and after they added in the tax and license fees it was over 27K OTD.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt

Sorry to hear about your "buddy" taking advantage of you and you're not happy w/driving a lesser car than you paid for.

IDK,seems like his buddy did him a favor. Because, without all those extra's he would be up **** creek if he totaled his car without the GAP insurance!!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:01 AM
General Grim
Registered Member

Seriously. Now I know what to do next time I purchase a car (which is along time from now). KBcool, I did put like 2k for a down payment, and yes they rolled me in negative equity instead of them paying it off like my "friend" told me. Do you also mean to say the G37s depreciate fast? I find it hard to believe that it would lose value too fast. What trim do you have? I only have the Journey. I would not feel too bad if that scum bag at least got me in a G37S.

Blnewt thanks for the reply. I hope my experience will serve as a guide to someone out there! anyway yes I do enjoy the car. I always look forward to driving it everyday.

"IDK,seems like his buddy did him a favor. Because, without all those extra's he would be up **** creek if he totaled his car without the GAP insurance!!"
This made me laugh pretty hard haha. At least there is one positive in this crappy deal lol.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:47 AM
COBRA ESQ
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm no fan of car salesman but my pet peeve is the hidden (until you are ready to sign) costs.

Dealers around me think nothing of advertising a car for one price, but when you go to see the car being told that the advertised price is only valid if you are financing through the dealer, or that the advertised price "assumes" a down payment (Down payment? I'm paying cash!), or a trade in worth $2-3,000, or when you see the contract you are about to sign there are "standard industry fees" for dealer prep, costs for them to register the car ("no you can't opt out"), advertising costs etc. or best yet the price does not reflect retail markup from the wholesale price.

Of course I walked, but why waste both of our time. I mean are there really people who fall for this B.S.?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Originally Posted by General Grim
What trim do you have?
Journey w/navigation. The S models were selling for $3000 more at the time.