MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Buying & Leasing (https://www.myg37.com/forums/buying-and-leasing-147/)
-   -   Debating on G37x purchase but ... (Random questions inside) (https://www.myg37.com/forums/buying-and-leasing/269437-debating-on-g37x-purchase-but-random-questions-inside.html)

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 08:13 PM

Debating on G37x purchase but ... (Random questions inside)

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing 2010+ G37x with AT but I wanted to get some input from the community first.

My biggest concern would be related to model / year specific issues that are very difficult to get rid of.

For example my 2010 Legacy GT had a very soft stock suspension that used to sway at higher speeds when on the highway. My 2001 Cadillac Seville STS had vibrations at 60+ as well. Trans ams had weak rear ends etc ...

My research so far as led me to believe that there might be transmission issues with G37.

Is this true for 2010+ models?

Are there are any other issues that might be expensive to fix or hard to get rid of?

Reliability?

Thank you for your time!

M

Kb Cool 08-10-2015 08:29 PM

Every part on these cars is expensive. But, if you do most of the work yourself it'll be a wash compared to a lower end car repair. As far as the 7AT having issues? I think it's more of it just being quirky than being unreliable as i have not heard of any complete failures.

Lego_Maniac 08-10-2015 08:43 PM

I came from a 2010 Legacy GT too :thewave:

I believe the 2012 have a redesigned gasket--rear timing cover maybe--that is prone to leakage and is an expensive repair.

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kb Cool (Post 3938870)
Every part on these cars is expensive. But, if you do most of the work yourself it'll be a wash compared to a lower end car repair. As far as the 7AT having issues? I think it's more of it just being quirky than being unreliable as i have not heard of any complete failures.

Thx for your input.

I can understand expensive parts. G37 is entry level luxury.

I have read stories of 7AT having harsh or delayed shifts and some cars suffering from "limp" mode. It appears that some of these can be fixed by ECU tune though.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac (Post 3938883)
I came from a 2010 Legacy GT too :thewave:

I believe the 2012 have a redesigned gasket--rear timing cover maybe--that is prone to leakage and is an expensive repair.

LOL nice ;P .

I just shredded my 2nd rear end differential ... 1st launch with a new broken in sprung 6 puck clutch. My set up runs high 12's but I think I'm slowly growing out of uncomfortable cars (coil-overs) with rough clutches.

Little bit of comfort and luxury might be due soon.

Lego_Maniac 08-10-2015 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938888)
LOL nice ;P .

I just shredded my 2nd rear end differential ... 1st launch with a new broken in sprung 6 puck clutch. My set up runs high 12's but I think I'm slowly growing out of uncomfortable cars (coil-overs) with rough clutches.

Little bit of comfort and luxury might be due soon.

I never missed the LGT. Suspension was garbage and I gave up on Myles ever delivering the Bilsteins.

IDK about the X but if you could live with snow tires the RWD S has some nice goodies--LSD, BBK, fast ratio steering etc.

Epiphany 08-10-2015 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938885)
Thx for your input.

I can understand expensive parts. G37 is entry level luxury.

I have read stories of 7AT having harsh or delayed shifts and some cars suffering from "limp" mode. It appears that some of these can be fixed by ECU tune though.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

2012+ has the new transmission tune, with a revised engine gasket that could potentially save you a 3k+ repair. In general these cars are quite reliable as long as you take care of them.

blnewt 08-10-2015 09:06 PM

Yeah, if you don't absolutely need AWD you'll do well w/ a RWD, especially the S pkg. More suspension upgrades available and one less major piece of drivetrain to worry about.

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac (Post 3938894)
I never missed the LGT. Suspension was garbage and I gave up on Myles ever delivering the Bilsteins.

IDK about the X but if you could live with snow tires the RWD S has some nice goodies--LSD, BBK, fast ratio steering etc.

First time I took Legacy on a 150 mile drive on the hwy I thought it would rattle itself apart at 60+. Funny you mention bilsteins. I had them on my car before I went with coils. Utter garbage. I was one of the few members who disliked them. They felt like they were made for wrx / sti not Legacy.

I'm in Chicago. Winters here are brutal. Having had 2 trans ams in the past 1 AT the other MT I probably wont get another RWD car ;P . Traffic to work i doable with manual but on the way back Its really bad so I cant do another MT car.

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Epiphany (Post 3938899)
2012+ has the new transmission tune, with a revised engine gasket that could potentially save you a 3k+ repair. In general these cars are quite reliable as long as you take care of them.

Good to know! Thank you.

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 3938900)
Yeah, if you don't absolutely need AWD you'll do well w/ a RWD, especially the S pkg. More suspension upgrades available and one less major piece of drivetrain to worry about.

I kind of need awd for Chicago winters and I wont mod the car so I dont have to worry about awd blowing up on me. Probably .... lol ;P .

m1cha3l 08-10-2015 09:18 PM

Oh and why are g37x so cheap? I mean you can pretty much get a low mile gx37x for 20k ... Lots of them on cars.com . Legacy is rare but most of the ones in good condition with low miles go for close to 20k.

RavensMinded00 08-10-2015 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938907)
Oh and why are g37x so cheap? I mean you can pretty much get a low mile gx37x for 20k ... Lots of them on cars.com . Legacy is rare but most of the ones in good condition with low miles go for close to 20k.

You answered your own question. There is a market flooded with G37x models. It's much harder and more expensive to find G37S models and even more so a G37 with a manual tranny.

Lego_Maniac 08-11-2015 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938904)
First time I took Legacy on a 150 mile drive on the hwy I thought it would rattle itself apart at 60+. Funny you mention bilsteins. I had them on my car before I went with coils. Utter garbage. I was one of the few members who disliked them. They felt like they were made for wrx / sti not Legacy.

I gave up waiting on the Bilsteins after about two years. At that point, they would have never lived up to expectations.

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938904)
I'm in Chicago. Winters here are brutal. Having had 2 trans ams in the past 1 AT the other MT I probably wont get another RWD car ;P . Traffic to work i doable with manual but on the way back Its really bad so I cant do another MT car.

Even if you don't want a 6MT, I'd still consider the 7AT S + snow tires.

To your point on price, the market is flooded with G37s and G37xs, they've been around since '09. And with the introduction of the Q50 and the continuation of the G37 as the Q40, I think it's taken it's toll on prices.

m1cha3l 08-11-2015 08:10 PM

I have a set of winter tires for the legacy (ws70 blizzaks) I'll probably sell them because they are not that good anyway but yes good winter tires ftw.

Makes sense with the market conditions. I automatically thought this is too good to be true therefore something must be wrong. Apparently thats not the case.

Is there anything else I should be aware of besides transmission issues for pre 2012 models?

WolfSongX 08-11-2015 08:46 PM

When I first started looking,, I was looking for a higher mileage BMW 335i, but when I read the laundry list of expensive issues those cars were known for, I decided to look Japanese again. In comparison, these cars are rock solid reliable, and price-wise are a real deal.
Plus it has an impressive list of standard options, especially cars with the Sport package (which required the Navigation and Premium packages). If you like a sporty drive, then the sports suspension (at least in the RWD, I didn't drive an "x" Sport) is the perfect mix of feel and comfort. It is almost a perfect balance of sportiness and comfort.

Make sure you look at several and find one that has been well-cared for since there are some rougher cars out there. And if you don't want to take the time yourself, a Pre-Purchase Inspection is worth the money to weed out the bad cars. Like any used car, how well they were treated by their former owners will have a direct effect on your long term satisfaction.

Sure, the Bimmer might have been slightly faster, and the automatic might have shifted smoother, but the parts and repairs are about 3 times what they are with the G. And for what the G delivers at the price, they are a massive bargain.

Lego_Maniac 08-12-2015 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3939330)
Is there anything else I should be aware of besides transmission issues for pre 2012 models?

Yea, the rear timing cover gasket

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...xperience.html

Originally Posted by WolfSongX (Post 3939343)
If you like a sporty drive, then the sports suspension (at least in the RWD, I didn't drive an "x" Sport) is the perfect mix of feel and comfort. It is almost a perfect balance of sportiness and comfort.

The Sport package on the X is just an appearance package, it doesn't get any of the RWD Sport hardware--no stiffened suspension, no faster ratio steering, no big brake kit, and no staggered size wheels/tires.

WolfSongX 08-12-2015 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac (Post 3939455)

The Sport package on the X is just an appearance package, it doesn't get any of the RWD Sport hardware--no stiffened suspension, no faster ratio steering, no big brake kit, and no staggered size wheels/tires.

My mistake, I thought the later versions actually had a full Sports package, the cars I saw on Autotrader must've had a Sport Brake upgrade.

Rochester 08-12-2015 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938906)
I kind of need awd for Chicago winters and I wont mod the car so I dont have to worry about awd blowing up on me. Probably .... lol ;P .

BS. We get twice the annual snowfall as Chicago, and all thats needed around here is a good set of snow tires. Find yourself a RWD S Sedan... The VLSD, ABS and TC are more than enough nannies to get you through Chicago winters, specially if you get some good snow tires ana a pair of big boy pants.

m1cha3l 08-12-2015 08:08 PM

When I first started looking,, I was looking for a higher mileage BMW 335i, but when I read the laundry list of expensive issues those cars were known for, I decided to look Japanese again. In comparison, these cars are rock solid reliable, and price-wise are a real deal.
Plus it has an impressive list of standard options, especially cars with the Sport package (which required the Navigation and Premium packages). If you like a sporty drive, then the sports suspension (at least in the RWD, I didn't drive an "x" Sport) is the perfect mix of feel and comfort. It is almost a perfect balance of sportiness and comfort.

Make sure you look at several and find one that has been well-cared for since there are some rougher cars out there. And if you don't want to take the time yourself, a Pre-Purchase Inspection is worth the money to weed out the bad cars. Like any used car, how well they were treated by their former owners will have a direct effect on your long term satisfaction.

Sure, the Bimmer might have been slightly faster, and the automatic might have shifted smoother, but the parts and repairs are about 3 times what they are with the G. And for what the G delivers at the price, they are a massive bargain.

335i or 335ix are very responsive to mods but I'm kind of done modding for now. I went from making tons of $ to meh just ok so I cant really afford mods. Either way 335 is a nice ride. Then again they are quite expensive to fix and the laundry list of repairs is rather long.

Ill have to test drive a few and see how it feels.

Thx!

m1cha3l 08-12-2015 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac (Post 3939455)

This is in regards to 09 what about 12+ models?

m1cha3l 08-12-2015 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 3939470)
BS. We get twice the annual snowfall as Chicago, and all thats needed around here is a good set of snow tires. Find yourself a RWD S Sedan... The VLSD, ABS and TC are more than enough nannies to get you through Chicago winters, specially if you get some good snow tires ana a pair of big boy pants.

While you might get more snow I have a modded legacy now that runs high 12's and had 2 trans and that ran mid to low 13's and I'm done with rwd or mods for now :) .

Getting awfully close to my late 30's and I'm just too lazy to shift my own gears. 2 manual cars were enough lol ;P .

I appreciate your input though!

blazeplacid 08-12-2015 08:37 PM

0 issues with my 2011 G37
0 issues with my 2004 G35

Lego_Maniac 08-12-2015 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3939754)
This is in regards to 09 what about 12+ models?

Yes, because your post referenced pre 12, 2012 was the year cars received a revised gasket.

m3clubracer 08-13-2015 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938907)

I snagged my '10 x for 15,5 with 89k mi. nearly mint. STEAL!:JAMIN:

m3clubracer 08-13-2015 08:28 AM

I just smoked my neighbors 335i, look up the hp/weight ratio. No chance they are faster, just more expensive. Notice my screen name. On the track, BMW any day, all day. On the street for daily all weather driving anywhere, no better bang for the buck stock than G37x. :bowdown:

m3clubracer 08-13-2015 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac (Post 3939774)
Yes, because your post referenced pre 12, 2012 was the year cars received a revised gasket.

Can you point me to the location on the car (or post) of said gasket?

blnewt 08-13-2015 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by m3clubracer (Post 3939882)
Can you point me to the location on the car (or post) of said gasket?

Cause for the dreaded P0011/P0021 codes that everyone is curious about - G35Driver
And a good DIY thread
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-pressure.html

m3clubracer 08-13-2015 10:06 PM

Black Betty wrote "I've been dealing with Infiniti Consumer Affairs regarding an issue with my wife's 09 sedan that is now out of warranty. The issue is a leak in the rear timing cover gaskets that is causing a low oil pressure condition."

Cause for the dreaded P0011/P0021 codes that everyone is curious about - G35Driver
link says it is a front timing cover problem? I'm confused.

Epiphany 08-13-2015 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by m3clubracer (Post 3939880)
I just smoked my neighbors 335i, look up the hp/weight ratio. No chance they are faster, just more expensive. Notice my screen name. On the track, BMW any day, all day. On the street for daily all weather driving anywhere, no better bang for the buck stock than G37x. :bowdown:

Depending where you live altitude can play a huge part of it as well. I can't even keep up with a stock 335 where I live, and with any kind of mods one of them will just walk away like I'm barely moving.

blnewt 08-13-2015 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by m3clubracer (Post 3940186)
Black Betty wrote "I've been dealing with Infiniti Consumer Affairs regarding an issue with my wife's 09 sedan that is now out of warranty. The issue is a leak in the rear timing cover gaskets that is causing a low oil pressure condition."

link says it is a front timing cover problem? I'm confused.

It's indeed the rear cover gasket, the one that's the most PITA to replace :icon43:

m1cha3l 08-13-2015 10:32 PM

Out of sheer curiosity how do g37's respond to mods?

Maybe one of these days I'll go for a tune and or full exhaust.

Are there many parts available? Do they run reliably when modded?

I'm asking because when Legacy GT went from 4th gen to 5th they they lost the wrx rumble due to headers being equal length and a lot of the parts don't fit due to a different design.

My car ate 2 rear ends in the last 2 months ... but it runs high 12's LOL!

Rochester 08-14-2015 05:40 PM

Very little customization necessary for the typical bolt-on mods to this car. And you've got a decent rack of manufacturer and vender choices, because much of the power/handing mods that are pursued by the Z crowd are available to the G. However, from what I've been reading, and in context to your interests, bolt-ons and a tune will still only catch you a few tenths in your 1/4 mile activities, which I'm guessing is normal for $3K of bolt-ons, give or take.

Take all that with a grain of salt, as hearsay over experience. Better yet, go read up in the racking/track subforum: Motorsports / Track - MyG37

m1cha3l 08-16-2015 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 3940483)
Very little customization necessary for the typical bolt-on mods to this car. And you've got a decent rack of manufacturer and vender choices, because much of the power/handing mods that are pursued by the Z crowd are available to the G. However, from what I've been reading, and in context to your interests, bolt-ons and a tune will still only catch you a few tenths in your 1/4 mile activities, which I'm guessing is normal for $3K of bolt-ons, give or take.

Take all that with a grain of salt, as hearsay over experience. Better yet, go read up in the racking/track subforum: Motorsports / Track - MyG37

I was going to say that 3k for ~ 0.5 in 1/4 is pretty bad but I forgot that this is a NA v6 :P . ECU flash from a cobb access port got me from 14.0 to 13.5.

My car should be up an running in a week or so. At that point and time I will most likely start visiting dealerships.

I'll probably start with the closest ones to me or the ones with the most desirable cars. However usually the most desirable cars are located at the small or shady looking dealers ...

blnewt 08-16-2015 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3940882)
I was going to say that 3k for ~ 0.5 in 1/4 is pretty bad but I forgot that this is a NA v6 :P . ECU flash from a cobb access port got me from 14.0 to 13.5.

My car should be up an running in a week or so. At that point and time I will most likely start visiting dealerships.

I'll probably start with the closest ones to me or the ones with the most desirable cars. However usually the most desirable cars are located at the small or shady looking dealers ...

G/L with your search and a big hats-off for taking the time to do your homework and ask the right questions, that should be time well spent. Look forward to seeing what you find :biggthumpup:

m1cha3l 11-03-2015 09:39 PM

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I finally did it ;P !

Gray 2012 G37x with 39k miles.

I should have asked this before but what kind of mpg are you guys getting? Gas mileage could be better lol.

My trip to work is maybe 3 miles city / burbs + 12 hwy (2 in traffic) and going back its maybe 6 hwy and rest city little traffic and I'm averaging 18 mpg ... ... ... :icon43:

Rochester 11-04-2015 07:34 AM

Given what you described, 18 mpg is all you can expect... but I'm sure you knew that before you bought the car.

the_wolff 11-04-2015 10:24 AM

I'm also in a 2012x, get 21.5 per the car's computer, 30 miles city/burbs, 94 hyw daily. Some people say the car's computer isn't too accurate (represents better mpg than actual). I know it's not the most practical, but it's worth it to me to have something I can enjoy a bit on such a long commute. I wouldn't be able to handle having something at 30mpg that couldn't pass a semi on an incline.

m1cha3l 11-04-2015 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 3964281)
Given what you described, 18 mpg is all you can expect... but I'm sure you knew that before you bought the car.

So rude ;P .... lol. 21.6 mpg combined round trip . trip meter wasnt reset in 9k same goes for computer. yup i knew 18/25 and expected less but 18 combined total would be rough luckily it looks like it isnt the case.

Takran 11-05-2015 08:51 PM

I drive city/small hwy (the kind with lots of lights, and sometimes traffic), and get around 20 mpg. Good enough for me, I sure didn't buy this car for its fuel economy. :BOUNCE:

DustU 03-09-2019 07:52 AM

Tranny Issue

Not trying to jack your thread but I recently had to swap out my 62K Transmission on my 2012 G37xs coupe,
One day on the highway she just starts revving but not moving over 38 MPH on a 65 MPH stretch of highway..
It was a pain in the *** but worth it, Got a Brand new Q50 tranny in her at a great price.

Originally Posted by m1cha3l (Post 3938867)
Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing 2010+ G37x with AT but I wanted to get some input from the community first.

My biggest concern would be related to model / year specific issues that are very difficult to get rid of.

For example my 2010 Legacy GT had a very soft stock suspension that used to sway at higher speeds when on the highway. My 2001 Cadillac Seville STS had vibrations at 60+ as well. Trans ams had weak rear ends etc ...

My research so far as led me to believe that there might be transmission issues with G37.

Is this true for 2010+ models?

Are there are any other issues that might be expensive to fix or hard to get rid of?

Reliability?

Thank you for your time!

M

slartibartfast 03-09-2019 12:56 PM

You didn't jack the guy's thread but you did delve into the dark art of thread necromancy. It had laid dormant for four years until you revived it this morning.

Making a new post would have been better. What year Q50? I assume it was the V36 and not the latest redesign (V37?)