Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Can't decide between a G37 coupe, sedan, or a Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:41 AM
05RLS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't decide between a G37 coupe, sedan, or a Maxima

Hello everyone. I am looking to purchase a different car really soon, and I have been researching and narrowed it down to a few different options. I initially wanted to get a 7th gen Maxima. I like the styling of them, they have decent performance, and they are one of the very few good looking sedans in my price range. I have test driven a few of them and really like it. I know a lot of people complain about the CVT transmissions in them and not liking them. I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of it either (I like a traditional trans), but it's not bad at all when driving one. It's kind of weird when you plant the throttle down and the RPMs climb steadily without ever dropping for a shift, it's just something that will take getting used to. I have been looking for specific color and the SV sport package, on a Maxima and haven't found too many that I want.

I decided to check out used G37 sedans, and surprisingly they they can be found similar priced to used 7th gen Maxima SVs. The G37 seems to have more amenities and luxuries over the Maxima, more horsepower, RWD, and a standard automatic transmission. While the G37 sedan seems to offer more, it just doesn't have that sporty look that the Maxima does IMO. I want room to haul people and stuff, but I want something that looks aggressive too. I have already decided whatever car I get will be tinted and 20" Vossen wheels within the first few weeks.

I have always like the G coupes, and those are going around the same priced used too. The car I am getting is going to be a year round daily driver, so I need to be able to use it to haul things. Is the trunk space considerably less on the coupe that it is the sedan? Can 4 fit comfortably in the coupe?

At this point, I am torn between the Maxima, G37 coupe, and G37 sedan. I know this is a G37 forum, but which do you all think would be the better option?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
My brother in law picked up a new Maxima last summer. I have my 2011 G37.

He bought his Max right before the G sedan price drop (because of the Q coming out)...if he had waited, the G sedan would have been about 2K more than his Maxima....at that price its a no brainer (G wins)

Ive ridden in his Maxima and its definitely a nice car. I think some of the interior bits on his car are actually NICER than on my G. But to me, it comes down to sportiness and performance. I actually think the G looks more sporty than the Maxima, I think the Maxima looks like a big car (even though its not that big)...not like the Maximas of old that looked agile and fast, just sitting there parked.

To me, RWD (or RWD based AWD in my case) wins out. The CVT was nicer than I expected, but feels like it takes away a lot of the fun. Great on mpg which is perfect if you have a long commute (he does, I dont) or if you dont worry about performance. In fact Ill be looking at a QX for my wife (who doesnt care one bit about performance) and that has a CVT.

Cant compare the G coupe to sedan, though....I have kids so the coupe was pretty much out (I almost bought one, but looked at the back seat and realized I would have to toss my kids into their car seats since the seat is set so far back)
Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 AM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
RWD (or RWD based AWD in my case) wins out.
this.

I also think that the g37 slightly lowered looks sportier than the max
Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
2010+ G37 Sedan Sport model with OEM lip is far more aggressive than a Maxima.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:42 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by 05RLS2
Hello everyone. I am looking to purchase a different car really soon, and I have been researching and narrowed it down to a few different options. I initially wanted to get a 7th gen Maxima. I like the styling of them, they have decent performance, and they are one of the very few good looking sedans in my price range. I have test driven a few of them and really like it. I know a lot of people complain about the CVT transmissions in them and not liking them. I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of it either (I like a traditional trans), but it's not bad at all when driving one. It's kind of weird when you plant the throttle down and the RPMs climb steadily without ever dropping for a shift, it's just something that will take getting used to. I have been looking for specific color and the SV sport package, on a Maxima and haven't found too many that I want.

I decided to check out used G37 sedans, and surprisingly they they can be found similar priced to used 7th gen Maxima SVs. The G37 seems to have more amenities and luxuries over the Maxima, more horsepower, RWD, and a standard automatic transmission. While the G37 sedan seems to offer more, it just doesn't have that sporty look that the Maxima does IMO. I want room to haul people and stuff, but I want something that looks aggressive too. I have already decided whatever car I get will be tinted and 20" Vossen wheels within the first few weeks.

I have always like the G coupes, and those are going around the same priced used too. The car I am getting is going to be a year round daily driver, so I need to be able to use it to haul things. Is the trunk space considerably less on the coupe that it is the sedan? Can 4 fit comfortably in the coupe?

At this point, I am torn between the Maxima, G37 coupe, and G37 sedan. I know this is a G37 forum, but which do you all think would be the better option?

It sounds like you're already leaning towards the Maxima. Reading through your post, it seems like you're making excuses to buy the maxima, and giving yourself reasons not to buy a G37. There's nothing wrong with that, if a Maxima makes you happy, get it. That being said, most of your explanations are opinion based, and since my tastes and needs are different from yours. There were a few factual statements that I am interested in hearing more about.

What are you basing the "Decent performance" statement on? Are you talking about horsepower (not as much as a G37), braking power (not as good as a sport G37), 0-60 (not as fast as a G37), handling (G37s has stiff sways, tighter steering ratio, better suspension, is RWD), or transmission (G37s has Limited Slip Differential)?

What do you mean by a "standard automatic transmission"? Normal geared automatic transmission rather than the continuous variable trans in the Altima/Maxima family?

A coupe doesn't sound like it'll fit your requirements, you definitely cannot fit two people in the back seats unless they are children, or at most 5'6".
Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
Front wheel drive kills it for me on the Maxima. Love the look and creature comforts, but the RWD FM platform of the G is legendary.

Coupe vs. Sedan debate is well documented. I think it comes down to utility and what you actually need from a car as both are pretty much dead even in every category other than acquisition cost (Coupe is higher) and Resale (Coupe Wins).
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 PM
05RLS2

How do the RWD G37s perform in the snow and other rough weather conditions? Do they perform fine with all season tires? While RWD is fun, this is going to be my daily driver.

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
It sounds like you're already leaning towards the Maxima. Reading through your post, it seems like you're making excuses to buy the maxima, and giving yourself reasons not to buy a G37. There's nothing wrong with that, if a Maxima makes you happy, get it. That being said, most of your explanations are opinion based, and since my tastes and needs are different from yours. There were a few factual statements that I am interested in hearing more about.

What are you basing the "Decent performance" statement on? Are you talking about horsepower (not as much as a G37), braking power (not as good as a sport G37), 0-60 (not as fast as a G37), handling (G37s has stiff sways, tighter steering ratio, better suspension, is RWD), or transmission (G37s has Limited Slip Differential)?
I have only driven the Maxima so far, so it's just based upon what I have seen. I plan on going to look at and drive the G37s this weekend. I haven't counted out the G37, I think it's more luxurious and is a little better quality than the Maxima is.

As far as decent performance, I was referring to acceleration. I know that the G37 has more horsepower and acceleration (3.7 vs the 3.5 in the Maxima), and I'm sure better handling. I'm not necessarily looking for a performance sedan, otherwise I'd be looking at getting a Cadillac CTS-V. I just want something that has plenty of get up and go, is practical for everyday use, has good looks, and a nice interior. The Maxima and G37 seem to fit the bill for me.

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
What do you mean by a "standard automatic transmission"? Normal geared automatic transmission rather than the continuous variable trans in the Altima/Maxima family?

A coupe doesn't sound like it'll fit your requirements, you definitely cannot fit two people in the back seats unless they are children, or at most 5'6".
Yes, I was referring to a geared automatic. Geared automatics are tried and true, but the CVT has me iffy on reliability once the car starts to get up in mileage.

I'll need the back seat adult sized room, so I guess that eliminates the G coupe and leaves the G37 sedan. I'm anxious to drive a sedan and see what its like.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:24 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Snow tires are a must for the RWD G37 in the snow, if you need wet performance in the summer, the continental DW's are also a good choice.

The AWD is better in snow, but snow tires are still the best investment, regardless of your powertrain choice.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 PM
yardie_g37_6mt

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
For the simple fact that you're comparing a Max to a G tells me you don't really have a true appreciation for the G. You've already self eliminated the G coupe when you mentioned you need to haul people and stuff around. There are a lot of G owners that used to own Maxs and went to a G as a step up not a lateral move including my self. There's just no comparison and I have a manual in the G just like I did the Max. The styling of the G just can't be beat. Not even the Q50 styles better than the last gen G. At the end of the day this forum is full of owners that are passionate about their G. Maybe you should post this same dialog on the Max forum and see what kind of response you there. As far as myG37.com is concerned its a no brainer. In the end choose the one that has the most potential to make YOU happy. After all we won't be making the outlay in cash or monthly payments for you. If you do get the G.....see you back here real soon. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
VeXeD (08-01-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 08:43 AM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 05RLS2
I'll need the back seat adult sized room, so I guess that eliminates the G coupe and leaves the G37 sedan.
I don't know what the max's back seat is like, but 4 adults in a g sedan is tight IMHO.

I'm 6'3, and I don't even like putting my 3 year old behind me in the g
Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
As a Maxima owner and some one that sells Infinitis for a living, I feel like I am most qualified to provide my Opinion.

Bought my maxima in 2011 with 30k on it. It is an 09. Back then it was a great vehicle. Still is. But I now sit at 64k and I can tell its not as tight and fit as it was at 30k.

The size and power up to 90 is all there. The CVT I have grown to like quite a bit. Idk if its my car and its CVT is almost done or if people over exaggerate the issue from 0-30 but mine takes off like a bat out of hell. So does my buddys 09 maxima.

After 90 it bogs down. It will climb but it feels like a 4 cylinder. O well I got a Ducati if I wanna go faster right?

Size, ive taking it from Omaha to KC (3 hours ) 4 or 5 times and it is very roomy. Biggest car out there short of an Avalon/ES or the M/5/A6/XTS.

MPG......Idk I get about 390 a tank mixed driving.

The OEM tires are junk. I have the 19inch sport wheels and I had to get some snow tires because I was slipping and sliding every where. The RSAs might do fine on AWD but on FWD they blow.

The G. Its smaller, better MPG (ive hit 30mpg on an AWD before on the HWY). Fit and finish is great, I have traded and sold high mileage Gs multiple times and people still love them. Highest was an 08 with 220k, guy bought it for his daughter, and it still feels very tight and not issues.

Performance is there. I wont talk about how much more fun they are to drive but they are. Handling is alot better.

Size, well 90% of the time that its just me but it is 20% smaller. ( idk maybe 10%).

Which one would I chose now? The G. Why? Value. Well prices are alot better now and I keep my care a long time. On the G my dollar goes farther. My Maxima, well its still a great car, but I feel like when its time to part ways, it will hurt my wallet more than if I had a G.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:19 PM
05RLS2

Originally Posted by yardie_g37_6mt
For the simple fact that you're comparing a Max to a G tells me you don't really have a true appreciation for the G.
I'm comparing them because used G37s are similar priced to used Maxima SVs, and at the end of the day they both share similar Nissan components. Of course the G is more luxurious, with a little better quality, no denying that.

Originally Posted by eljoker
As a Maxima owner and some one that sells Infinitis for a living, I feel like I am most qualified to provide my Opinion.

Bought my maxima in 2011 with 30k on it. It is an 09. Back then it was a great vehicle. Still is. But I now sit at 64k and I can tell its not as tight and fit as it was at 30k.

The size and power up to 90 is all there. The CVT I have grown to like quite a bit. Idk if its my car and its CVT is almost done or if people over exaggerate the issue from 0-30 but mine takes off like a bat out of hell. So does my buddys 09 maxima.

After 90 it bogs down. It will climb but it feels like a 4 cylinder. O well I got a Ducati if I wanna go faster right?

Size, ive taking it from Omaha to KC (3 hours ) 4 or 5 times and it is very roomy. Biggest car out there short of an Avalon/ES or the M/5/A6/XTS.

MPG......Idk I get about 390 a tank mixed driving.

The OEM tires are junk. I have the 19inch sport wheels and I had to get some snow tires because I was slipping and sliding every where. The RSAs might do fine on AWD but on FWD they blow.

The G. Its smaller, better MPG (ive hit 30mpg on an AWD before on the HWY). Fit and finish is great, I have traded and sold high mileage Gs multiple times and people still love them. Highest was an 08 with 220k, guy bought it for his daughter, and it still feels very tight and not issues.

Performance is there. I wont talk about how much more fun they are to drive but they are. Handling is alot better.

Size, well 90% of the time that its just me but it is 20% smaller. ( idk maybe 10%).

Which one would I chose now? The G. Why? Value. Well prices are alot better now and I keep my care a long time. On the G my dollar goes farther. My Maxima, well its still a great car, but I feel like when its time to part ways, it will hurt my wallet more than if I had a G.
Good to hear from soneone who is familiar with both vehices. I haven't driven a Maxima past 90, but I'm sure it's a lot more powerful than the incredibly slow 145 HP 4 cylinder car that I have now.

I'm curious to see what the G will feel like driving. While the Maxima is nice, it feels like a big car. Really just bigger than what I need. So if the G is smaller than the Max, that'll be a big plus.

Since you sell Infinitis, how well do they hold their resale value after 3 or 4 years?
Old 08-01-2014, 03:54 AM
DPNx714

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Like others have stated, it seems the G coupe doesn't fit the description of what you are looking for in your next car. I pretty much consider my coupe a two seater with the rear seats for show.

With that in mind, it really looks like it is between the Maxima and the G sedan. Of the two, I'd go G sedan sport 2010+ with the revised headlights, bumper, and throw on the OEM lip! That looks way sportier/aggressive than the Maxima with the performance to back it up (more hp, better brakes, handling, RWD, better tranny).

Go test drive a G37 Sedan sport!!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Boobookaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented a G37 sedan at Hertz and fell in love with the G's. I ended up buying a G37S Coupe and I love the performance and sporty look but I regret not getting the sedan. The trunk space and rear head room increase in the sedans is worth it.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:38 PM
moolah21

buy my max lol..... i could sell it already modded

Quick Reply: Can't decide between a G37 coupe, sedan, or a Maxima