Build Threads

ZahyMatar's '13 KAD G37S 6MT Sedan Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:00 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Did you remove your front seat for the install, or complete it as is? I saw posts of people building up the area outside the car and went that route. Rubbermaid, moving blanket, and I could then lay on my back "comfortably".
Nope, didn't bother removing the seats. I just had a mat laid down on the floor so I wouldn't hurt my knees. Install definitely sucked though. I'm gonna go over all the bolts to make sure everything is snug today, and make so adjustments. Need to figure out how to install the heavy duty clevis fork as well.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:55 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

I've pretty much narrowed my wheel choices down to the SSR GTV02, 19x9.5 +35 square. I even called SSR to confirm Akebono clearance.

Now, I'm not sure what color I should get. I think the flat black would look mean/aggressive with a meaty tire and a crazy caliper color... What do you guys think? Black or silver?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Would look nice either way, and agree, a caliper color that pops would be nice under those SSRs.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:37 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Would look nice either way, and agree, a caliper color that pops would be nice under those SSRs.
This is a tough decision

Stance XR1 coilovers and Fast Intentions exhaust ship this week as well. So I wanna choose wheels/tires fast.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
That's one excellent wheel that I too have been considering. I've got a Graphite Shadow sedan too and I've been leaning towards acquiring a dark wheel because it adds a nice color contrast against the charcoal metallic, a paint color that in the right light really pops.

I'm against the silver unless it's a very dark gunmetal silver. I know that Advan has such a dark gunmetal option for their version of a similar wheel style. I'm not a fan of an all silver wheel on the Graphite Shadow because once on this particular color it says "I'm competing with an already stellar paint for attention." Everyone has different tastes, but to my eye a dark color wheel contrasts very well on a darker body - Good luck with your choice ZM!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:34 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Welp, I finally pulled the trigger on a set of wheels... After weeks of research, I settled on the 2015+ OEM 370Z NISMO wheels. Went with 4 fronts - 19x9.5 +40 and I will be running a 255/40/19 square setup.

Stacking these up against other aftermarket wheels which were in a similar price bracket, they were hard to beat...

They're made by Rays, they're a true forged wheel, and only weigh 21lbs.
Yes, they were a little pricey (I paid $1780 shipped)

Good thing is these won't require aftermarket lug nuts or hub rings, which would've been another added expense for aftermarket wheels. These will also clear the Akebonos up front with no spacer, although I will probably add a 5mm spacer just for aesthetic purposes.

The following users liked this post:
Coltrane1 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 04:28 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Welp, I finally pulled the trigger on a set of wheels... After weeks of research, I settled on the 2015+ OEM 370Z NISMO wheels. Went with 4 fronts - 19x9.5 +40 and I will be running a 255/40/19 square setup.

Stacking these up against other aftermarket wheels which were in a similar price bracket, they were hard to beat...

They're made by Rays, they're a true forged wheel, and only weigh 21lbs.
Yes, they were a little pricey (I paid $1780 shipped)

Good thing is these won't require aftermarket lug nuts or hub rings, which would've been another added expense for aftermarket wheels. These will also clear the Akebonos up front with no spacer, although I will probably add a 5mm spacer just for aesthetic purposes.
Very nice choice! Looking forward to seeing the final results! The only thing keeping me from running these Nismo wheels is that since they only take OEM lugs, it makes them very attractive to thieves.... although some argue that lugs and locks don't matter to theives since they'll find ways to steal anything.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Good thing is these won't require aftermarket lug nuts or hub rings, which would've been another added expense for aftermarket wheels.
Hub rings cost virtually nothing. And even the most expensive aftermarket lug nuts are inconsequential to the money spent on these rims. So yes, you're right, but so what.

Great choice on the wheels, Z. Stong, lightweight, unique, and yet still OEM. Also, easy to clean, with easy access to keeping the calipers clean. With narrow spokes like this, the design is perfect for showcasing two-piece slotted rotors. Future mod, maybe?

Have you decided on tires yet?

Last edited by Rochester; 04-24-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:58 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Hub rings cost virtually nothing. And even the most expensive aftermarket lug nuts are inconsequential to the money spent on these rims. So yes, you're right, but so what.

Great choice on the wheels, Z. Stong, lightweight, unique, and yet still OEM. Also, easy to clean, with easy access to keeping the calipers clean. With narrow spokes like this, the design is perfect for showcasing two-piece slotted rotors. Future mod, maybe?

Have you decided ontires yet?
Z1 2-piece rotors are definitely on the list... In due time

For tires, I'm looking at several different options - BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 Sports, Continental ExtremeContact Sport, and possibly Michelin PSS.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
For tires, I'm looking at several different options - BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 Sports, Continental ExtremeContact Sport, and possibly Michelin PSS.
Order is wrong it should be Michelin Pilot 4S, Michelin PSS, and Continental ExtremeContact Sport.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Dembflyr
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Great choice! These are great looking wheels and you already know the fitment will be perfect.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:15 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ttv36
Order is wrong it should be Michelin Pilot 4S, Michelin PSS, and Continental ExtremeContact Sport.
Okay, okay, I'll get the Continentals.

Originally Posted by Dembflyr
Great choice! These are great looking wheels and you already know the fitment will be perfect.
Thanks! Appreciate the help
Old 04-24-2017, 01:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Really looking forward to those Rays on your G, and they do make OEM lug locks. And I think they also have some aftermarket mag-style sets that may be harder for thieves, but ???.

Glad this is moving along so well Z, really taking your time picking parts that will all go together like the perfect puzzle

And still think this Maroon color for the caliper win!

Old 04-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The Conti's rate right up with with the PSS. I don't have a personal comparison to offer, other than PSS to the Bridgestones. But on paper, they seem very much the same tires, with a significant savings in price.

The really important consideration here is summer-only tires.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:28 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Really looking forward to those Rays on your G, and they do make OEM lug locks. And I think they also have some aftermarket mag-style sets that may be harder for thieves, but ???.

Glad this is moving along so well Z, really taking your time picking parts that will all go together like the perfect puzzle

And still think this Maroon color for the caliper win!

I am pretty much 100% on that maroon/metallic-red for the calipers and engine cover. Just need to find the right shade of paint.

Originally Posted by Rochester
The Conti's rate right up with with the PSS. I don't have a personal comparison to offer, other than PSS to the Bridgestones. But on paper, they seem very much the same tires, with a significant savings in price.

The really important consideration here is summer-only tires.
This time around, I will be keeping the OEM Duckfeet, unless I can land a decent price on some G35 Rays or OEM coupe wheels, so I'll still maintain a decent looking winter wheel. Either way, they will be getting dedicated winter tires, while the NISMOs will be for the summer. Ever tire I listed was a summer tire, Michelin and Continental are Max Performance Summers, and the BFGs being Ultra High Performance. I will wait until the wheels ship and then order a set of tires off of TireRack.

Do you guys think I should do 255/40/19 square or 265/40? I don't want to lose steering feel up front.

Quick Reply: ZahyMatar's '13 KAD G37S 6MT Sedan Build